Case 644 loader repairs

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Case 644 loader repairs

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Eugen If ever you have a screw loose or just missing one , come over and raid my stash (you will be in good company) . :giggle:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Eugen, I also suffer too. What I started to do is put nuts and bolts in ziplock bags and label them with a sharpie marker. Toss all the baggies in a cardboard box and now they are all in one spot. I still have a problem with where I set stuff. It's a problem we have to live with but this helps.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:19 pm
Eugen wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:24 pm Couldn't work much on this tractor in the last few days. Had plans to install the gas tank today but... :headbash: :cuss: can't find the box with all the bolts I took off when removing the fenders and front and rear plates around the tank. I have this bad habit to put things that I work on "near by" because usually I get to them in a day or two. This is definitely the end of this habit. From now on I'll put all bolts in a box and will label it. Looked in all the places where I'd likely put them, nothing. Hopefully I won't find them with the snowblower. Well, may as well get new bolts. But I am quite upset at myself over this. :51: :headbash:
I save all my old margarine and coffee containers , after cleaning they go on a shelf in the shop . when I take something apart , I put the bits and bobs in the container and keep them all together with the rest of the parts . Many small container allows me to the bits with its own bob . This reduces what I have to remember or have to think about what goes with what or where .
I reuse containers for the nuts and bolts too. But prefer the clear ones from the Walmart deli, they are smaller and most often big enough, but clear is the big plus you can see what's in them without opening each one :thumbsup:

:cheers:
Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Found 4 out of 6 bolts. That's a rate of 67% success. Have to do better in the future. Had some bolts of the same size from some big Case IH combine as well, so the plates and tank were mounted. New fuel line of course.

Then I wrestles the old exhaust made of 1" NPT iron pipe pieces, was able to undo an elbow and another piece so I could temporarily mount it on the k321 engine. It was pretty well rusted and stuck threads so not the greatest fun doing it with a 10" pipe wrench and a mallet. Definitely hope Santa brings me a big pipe wrench.

Ran the engine for a bit, moved the loader up and down. The lift cylinders were really sad and started weeping. Which made me a little sad and almost cried but then I kinda expected to have to replace the seals on them. @Spike188 can you please share what tool you used to undo the gland on yours, and where you got seal kits, if you did?

Then one of the fenders had a bolt broken in and I dealt with that for a while. Also chased the rest of the threads with a tap to make it easier to assemble. Enough for today.
Last edited by Eugen on Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

@Eugen I will post a ramble later. The cylinder end cap was held in place by a snap ring. Over time the ring groove hammers a protruding lip on the outer edge of the groove. The end cap can be pushed deeper into the cylinder so that a drimel may be used to remove the lip. With raised lip smoothed out, rremoving the end cap was easy.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Eugen wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:21 am Found 4 out of 6 bolts. That's a rate of 67% success. Have to do better in the future. Had some bolts of the same size from some big Case IH combine as well, so the plates and tank were mounted. New fuel line of course.

Then I wrestles the old exhaust made of 1" NPT iron pipe pieces, was able to undo an elbow and another piece so I could temporarily mount it on the k321 engine. It was pretty well rusted and stuck threads so not the greatest fun doing it with a 10" pipe wrench and a mallet. Definitely hope Santa brings me a big pipe wrench.

Ran the engine for a bit, moved the loader up and down. The lift cylinders were really sad and started weeping. Which made me a little sad and almost cried but then I kinda expected to have to replace the seals on them. @Spike188 can you please share what tool you used to undo the gland on yours, and where you got seal kits, if you did?

Then one of the fenders had a bolt broken in and I dealt with that for a while. Also chases the rest of the threads with a tap to make it easier to assemble. Enough for today.
The older you get, the more hardware you're going to lose.

So they tell me, anyway....

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

thebuildist wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:31 am
Eugen wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:21 am Found 4 out of 6 bolts. That's a rate of 67% success. Have to do better in the future. Had some bolts of the same size from some big Case IH combine as well, so the plates and tank were mounted. New fuel line of course.

Then one of the fenders had a bolt broken in and I dealt with that for a while. Also chases the rest of the threads with a tap to make it easier to assemble. Enough for today.
The older you get, the more hardware you're going to lose.

So they tell me, anyway....

Bob
Just like socks and driers . I swear there is another dimension that has all the missing socks nut bolts and reading glasses .
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Tell me about it. I got a really nice broken bolt extractor set that I looked for last night and wasn't where it should've been. No idea what I might have done with it. That was frustrating. I guess I've lost some marbles already. :5:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Spike188 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:52 am @Eugen I will post a ramble later. The cylinder end cap was held in place by a snap ring. Over time the ring groove hammers a protruding lip on the outer edge of the groove. The end cap can be pushed deeper into the cylinder so that a drimel may be used to remove the lip. With raised lip smoothed out, rremoving the end cap was easy.
Thank you!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:32 pm Tell me about it. I got a really nice broken bolt extractor set that I looked for last night and wasn't where it should've been. No idea what I might have done with it. That was frustrating. I guess I've lost some marbles already. :5:
Marbles are kept with the missing sock in that other dimension.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder