snow caster mods.

Tools, fabrication, measuring, storing...
Gordy United States of America

Re: snow caster mods.

Post by Gordy »

Dave,
As they say, I know enough about aerodynamics and hydrodynamics to be dangerous ;) I hope it works for you, BUT.

I would have left it alone. You may run into problems with wet sticky snow now having more surface to stick to and causing plugging issues. The original lip location reduces the surface area and the hole behind it allows the snow moving past the hole to draw in air, which acts as as a lubricant by providing a boundary layer between the chute and snow.

:cheers:
Gordy
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

I am going to install a ramble here. I don’t know any thing about anything. Just wanted to get that out of the way first. But I have to sort of agree with Gordy. That opening would allow air in there. So in order for any thing to flow out of something, it has to have air coming in so it does not create a vacuum and slow the flow down. Like a fan moving air, the fan has to be able to get air from behind its self in order to push air out. Now this may only work in these throwers if the snow is fluffy and dry. That hole maybe covered over in wet or damp snow conditions. So I could be very wrong in what I’m saying in this ramble. But those openings are there for some reason. ? My Massey Ferguson snow throwers have that opening too. I’ll get a picture soon.
That completes my ramble on this for now. Have a good day gentlemen.

Noel
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

I left mine open Dave, when I rebuilt mine.
I thought along the same line as the others and did not change that. I almost welded out the chute base to the auger housing but chose not to so no water would stand and had run off. I have another idea I'm going to add to my caster. The three tabs to support and hold the chute will be made differently and follow the chute more. There will be uhmw pads on it also. I would have also tightened up the chute base just a hair to add a thin uhmw ring glued to the top outside edge so the chute ring fits tighter. I don't like how sloppy the ring is on these casters. I've had a few of these casters and they are all just as sloppy as the next there. I hammered the chute base out to stretch the metal to make it a little tighter there so it spins smoother back and forth. Dont forget to cut 2 more slots on each side for more rotation.Image

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Couple of pictures of my MF snowthrowers. Not great pictures, but I think you can get the idea.

Noel :D
Attachments
8B7B1437-AD39-411A-BE5A-FA2052AABF07.jpeg
3F6D58F4-C000-4127-A878-98F0C80F8797.jpeg
9204C2AC-FF26-44D9-8E83-D2F9D6B6B30F.jpeg
FDA7A27D-9835-48AE-8368-3D030348B7D9.jpeg
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Ya you guys might be right . I won't know till I try it . Worst case is I cut it out and grind it clean again .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

My Berco has air gaps on the chute too. Try it and see how it works 👍
Attachments
The JD Sabre blower has holes in the auger paddles. I wonder if it helps keep snow from sticking to the auger? So would a can of non stick cooking spray or wd40...
The JD Sabre blower has holes in the auger paddles. I wonder if it helps keep snow from sticking to the auger? So would a can of non stick cooking spray or wd40...
Screenshot_20190902-214453_Craigslist Checker.jpg
Ariens tractor with what looks like an Ingersoll blower. Appears to have a straight section welded on before the typical Ingersoll chute. Also take note of the quart jug that appears to be hiding the chute rotation motor.
Ariens tractor with what looks like an Ingersoll blower. Appears to have a straight section welded on before the typical Ingersoll chute. Also take note of the quart jug that appears to be hiding the chute rotation motor.
Ingersoll 4016

Post by MattA »

Here are the pics of my Berco. I'm on my phone so the pics are not resized. @Eugen does the forum automatically resize pictures?

The white crap in the chute is the remains of a white rag I ran over while blowing...
Attachments
Lower chute.
Lower chute.
Upper chute all the way up.
Upper chute all the way up.
Upper chute tilted down a bit.
Upper chute tilted down a bit.
Ingersoll 4016
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

MattA wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:19 pm @Eugen does the forum automatically resize pictures?
Yes, it's one of the first things I had to figure out. As long as you have the bandwidth you don't have to worry about the size.

Life is like a mountain railroad you know.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by MattA »

@Harry Adding a taper to the chute seems to help direct the snow better. Jancoe did this... so did grumy on the old forum. He has some videos on youtube too.
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

MattA wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:49 pm @Harry Adding a taper to the chute seems to help direct the snow better. Jancoe did this... so did grumy on the old forum. He has some videos on youtube too.
I have a smaller diameter but taller heavy metal chute am going to do similar to that like they did .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder