Case 680E

You're cheating on your Case with another tractor! We want all the dirty details!
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Case 680E

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:00 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:51 am If it was leaking past anyone of the plungers it would not build pressure and that cylinder would not fire and since you said it ran fine I would eliminate that .
I don't about running fine though. Listen to the same model tractor that I found on youtube, sounds to me more smooth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YI9rtOIF5g&t=70s

Whereas mine sounds like tar-tar-tar-tar

Maybe that's a sign that fuel delivery or pressure wasn't right anyway.

( the other tractor is at a higher RPM and that will change the sound a lot , Now not perfect , yours definitely on all cylinders . )
Dave

I don't have experience with diesel engines so I'm not sure if it sounds like it's got a problem or not.

What just accrued to me is if one of the injector pumps had backed out a little when someone in the past doing a repair that required removing the lines and did not properly re-torque them . Fuel would be able to leak from from the fuel passage to the shaft area . From what I can see each pump is seal at the bottom by clamping force. This type of leak could still alow the injector to function .
I can try to re-torque them, yes.

Other possibility is that at some point the was water in the system that froze and there is a crack internal , but i would expect that if that was the case there would have been other damage .
I think before going any further , A- drain some oil off and see if it has water in it or is just thin and smells of diesel , B- If it is water go down that path , if it is thinned out by diesel go to step C.
If there was water or coolant in the oil, shouldn't the oil have been bubbly/cloudy after it ran? A buddy of mine had a boat whose engine wasn't properly winterized so the manifold cracked and there was water in the oil. We didn't know right away, so we tried to run it, started for a few seconds and then died. But the oil was cloudy/gray.

Not allways , if it has not been emulsified with the oil (milky) , it can sit at the bottom of the pan . and not be picked up by the oil pump
depending on how far the sump is off the bottom of the pan ( all engines a little different ).

Dave
C- remove the lines from injector pump and make sure all nuts are free . release the clamps and crack loose each injector slightly to make sure move freely enough and re-torque down to spec. re-assemble, chain oil again ( don't worry about the filter just drain it and put back on ) and call me to come over and give you a hand bleeding the injectors .

Maybe mark the pumps before so you know if any tighten down more than they were .

Dave
Will try the re-torque. But can't run it at all, as i'm missing those parts for the fuel return line and waiting for them, plus the feed pump. I'm going to take the injectors to a shop in Toronto to have them looked at and if needed fix/clean them.
Ok let me know when you are ready . Bleeding injectors on a larger diesel like that is easier with 2 people and I can then show you how to do by yourself in case you run her out of fuel one day .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

More guessing and rambling. If you watch the exhaust coming out of the pipe, while running, which I was hoping for a shot of in the video, if it’s missing it should show up in the pattern of the black exhaust coming out.
And was mentioned before but don’t know if there was an answer. Let the engine sit for a few days, then open the drain in the base and see what comes out at the very first. If water or coolant, you’ve got trouble there. If not then it would be diesel fuel. And how much is added to the oil when you check it and it’s over full.
And I’m still sticking with the guess I posted before. :109

Noel
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Darn it Eugen, we've been trying to find you a cheap way out. :(( :cuss: :headbash:

The old injector pump on my father's old Ford 4500 backhoe kept going even when leaking fuel. First slow, he would just change the oil more often. Then it let go and filled the crankcase in an hour. The tractor always kinda loped and smoked when it ran. Our Ford's sound different anyway, being 3 cylinder engines.
He stopped by me the other day on his way out of the woods. ( He's been cutting wood, by himself, 82 years old :dizzy: ) Anyway, the thing sounds like a new tractor, no smoke, even when you rev it. It's an early '70's hoe that had been used hard before we got it.
I think you got a little time to explore some options for cost. :inacall: It seems like the one from my drill was quite expensive to rebuild years ago. I don't know if it is truly justified or not, but it seems anything diesel is pricey. I don't know how the market is by you, but here them older backhoes bring pretty good money. So if you go to sell it when you're done with it you can maybe still come out ok. :please:
It's a gamble, but maybe you could find a used one there. That pump seems quite popular, but also a ton of models.
:smash: :smash:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Propane57 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:40 pm More guessing and rambling. If you watch the exhaust coming out of the pipe, while running, which I was hoping for a shot of in the video, if it’s missing it should show up in the pattern of the black exhaust coming out.
And was mentioned before but don’t know if there was an answer. Let the engine sit for a few days, then open the drain in the base and see what comes out at the very first. If water or coolant, you’ve got trouble there. If not then it would be diesel fuel. And how much is added to the oil when you check it and it’s over full.
And I’m still sticking with the guess I posted before. :109

Noel
Noel, sorry, I thought I said it is pretty much white smoke all the time coming out of the pipe. I'll check in a few days what comes out first. I got the idea of getting automotive dye to put in the fuel for next time I can start it and trace it with a UV light. Now I'm stuck until those parts show up so I can button it back up for another test. I'm kinda hoping it's diesel in the oil, because I'm not prepared to deal with a cracked engine or a blown gasket that leaks coolant into the engine.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@Timj I hope to be like your dad when I'm 82! It's great that he keeps in such shape. As for a cheap way out, I appreciate your advice guys. It's good to be able to talk about this stuff. As long as I don't end up with a big paper weight and a huge hole in the bank it should be fine. :cheers:

@DavidBarkey thanks Dave!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Eugen The UV dye is a great idea , hadn't thought of that . Short runs and check until you find where is coming from .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Well a little more guessing, rambling and I might be learning some thing. :giggle:

The white smoke is unburned fuel, coolant in the cylinder/s and low combustion temperature. And I think you did say white smoke along the way Eugen. But wether white or black smoke I was thinking you could see that in the exhaust smoke or hear it, if it was missing in one cylinder.
But what I was wondering is, if you let the engine sit for a few days, open the drain plug and slowly let out some base liquid, is there and coolant that comes out first, before the oil comes out. Did you try that, if so, what was the result.

Tell me to go away if I’m annoying yas. :124:

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:28 am Well a little more guessing, rambling and I might be learning some thing. :giggle:

The white smoke is unburned fuel, coolant in the cylinder/s and low combustion temperature. And I think you did say white smoke along the way Eugen. But wether white or black smoke I was thinking you could see that in the exhaust smoke or hear it, if it was missing in one cylinder.
But what I was wondering is, if you let the engine sit for a few days, open the drain plug and slowly let out some base liquid, is there and coolant that comes out first, before the oil comes out. Did you try that, if so, what was the result.

Tell me to go away if I’m annoying yas. :124:

Noel
When I suspect coolant I do the same but use a pressure tester to pressurize the system . The hardest part of all this is being on the other side of text message. It is a whole lot different when your in person .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

Thinking like the Egyptians, Drain all of the crankcase fluid into gallon glass jars and let them set for a day. That would give a clear reading of types and percentage of contaminates in the oil.

40 years ago a hydraulic line on a cotton bale press broke and dumped around 100 gallon of oil into a 10' X 4' deep pit that the ram hung inside. This was in the middle of the night at peak of processing season. The closest oil supplier was 4 hours away so shop vacs were used to lift the oil from the pit. Most of the 100 gallon of contaminated oil was recovered and filtered through a rag. Total down time was less than 2 hours. That oil was running in the press 10 years later when the plant closed. Operators had a habit of running the press ram out of the cylinder and damaging the seals so at the end of 10 years there would have been little of the original oil in the system.

Spike
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@Propane57 and @Spike188 I will drain the oil this Saturday and put some in jars. I don't have gallon glass jars though. :| Well, we'll see.

@Propane57 Noel, it's not annoying to me that you give me your opinion, in fact I really appreciate it!!! If I were closer to you guys you would get some beers from me! :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E