How did you get interested in Case Tractors

Shoot the breeze here.
Harry United States of America

How did you get interested in Case Tractors

Post by Harry »

For me I needed a GT mostly to cut grass. My previous LT was kept mowing for years and I was tired of fixing it. A co-worker mentioned to me he had a machine that he would drop off to try it out. It ended up being a 446 with a mowing deck and snowblower. It ran fine for years until it didn’t and not having time to look at it I parked it and purchased a CC LT for mowing my grass, which I still use today. A few years pass the kids married off and I had time on my hands to dive into the 446. I was not to familiar with Onan engines so I got on a GT site found Boomers contact info and with a few phone calls and purchasing some parts the old Onan was back up and running better than ever, as it still is today. That’s my story and other members please chime in with their first Case GT story. :bla: :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: How did you get interested in Case Tractors

Post by DavidBarkey »

For me , we bought 2 acres in rural Ont. . Hadn't owned anything bigger than a WB . I wanted a small tractor that I could cut grass , move snow, start a garden and pull a trailer . After getting a Bolen large frame that didn't do all that I wanted I saw add in kijiji for a Case 446 and accessories . But it was not running and in pieces . But the price seemed right at for all I was getting . Tractor with bigg wheels on it , tiller, mower deck , trailer (generic) bagger set up , rear blade , Snow blower (caster), Brinley harrow , 3 point hitch , snow chains , . All for $1200 about 12 years ago . This was the birth of Frankie (Frankenstein ). After getting it running and working around the property . Needs changed and so did the tractor . After a few remodels , frame lengthen , loader , cab, gauges , and creature comforts , Frankie is what you see today . During that time I have restored and sold a 222 , built another 446 (Blower project tractor with genny engine ) another 200 series collection of parts to do one day And the infomus Bride of Frankenstein I will finish one day . Maybe this winter .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by Harry »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 3:18 pm For me , we bought 2 acres in rural Ont. . Hadn't owned anything bigger than a WB . I wanted a small tractor that I could cut grass , move snow, start a garden and pull a trailer . After getting a Bolen large frame that didn't do all that I wanted I saw add in kijiji for a Case 446 and accessories . But it was not running and in pieces . But the price seemed right at for all I was getting . Tractor with bigg wheels on it , tiller, mower deck , trailer (generic) bagger set up , rear blade , Snow blower (caster), Brinley harrow , 3 point hitch , snow chains , . All for $1200 about 12 years ago . This was the birth of Frankie (Frankenstein ). After getting it running and working around the property . Needs changed and so did the tractor . After a few remodels , frame lengthen , loader , cab, gauges , and creature comforts , Frankie is what you see today . During that time I have restored and sold a 222 , built another 446 (Blower project tractor with genny engine ) another 200 series collection of parts to do one day And the infomus Bride of Frankenstein I will finish one day . Maybe this winter .
David thanks for sharing your story, I enjoyed reading and was impressed with your ingenuity . :highfive: :peace: Harry
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

When I got into garden tractors, was very interested in them and my son was too. So I’d be looking at garden tractor pictures. So not knowing much about Case tractors, I saw a picture of a big wheel Case tractor and thought, just like a farm tractor but smaller. So then I always wanted one. And I wanted to put the farm tractor tires on it to make it look even more like a farm tractor. I wanted it for parades, displays and events. So after 15 or so years, I finally got one and that’s what you see in my posts. 1982 Case 446.

Noel
Attachments
When I got it
When I got it
And fixed up.
And fixed up.

Post by Harry »

propane1 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 8:47 pm When I got into garden tractors, was very interested in them and my son was too. So I’d be looking at garden tractor pictures. So not knowing much about Case tractors, I saw a picture of a big wheel Case tractor and thought, just like a farm tractor but smaller. So then I always wanted one. And I wanted to put the farm tractor tires on it to make it look even more like a farm tractor. I wanted it for parades, displays and events. So after 15 or so years, I finally got one and that’s what you see in my posts. 1982 Case 446.

Noel
That was a nice story Noel, especially how you included your son. When I got my 446 my son would mow my lawn with it when I was to busy at work. He was never to excited about it though. Thanks for sharing your story. :wave: :peace: Harry
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

In about 2009, I had an old Cub Cadet 120-something with a clapped out Kohler 10 or 12 hp. It had such blowby that I had to add oil every single mowing. So I tore that engine down in the fall, thinking I'd get it bored and rebuilt by spring. But I got way over my head, not least because I failed to find a machine shop. (Today, I'd bore it myself, but that was way before I had that capability)

Next spring I needed a mower, and started searching for a better cub cadet. On a Sunday evening about 8 pm I found on Craiglist a 1973 442 with blade and deck. $475. I had never heard of Case's before, but a little research showed me that they were solid, USA built machines. I was already sold on the Kohler K301, and I absolutely loved the high wheels. And a blade to boot.

I called the number and the guy, who was about an hour away from me, said someone is coming in the morning, he'd call me back. I asked could I come tonight. He acted like I must be insane, but if I was willing, so was he. So by 10 pm I had it loaded on the trailer. My son still mows his place with that machine every week. It's had fluid changes, and got upgraded to a holding valve. A couple new belts and batteries. But still going strong.

I later lucked into a 4020PS for $600. Some lawncare guy had it given to him, and the PS hoses were leaking. He didn't know much about them, just wanted a quick buck. I was happy to oblige.

You all know the rest: I've since added a 3 pt hitch, 3pt forks, back blade, vac trailer, and then added a removable loader with quick attach bucket and forks.

Now I can't imagine not having that amazing machine available to me. I use it in a million ways all the time.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"

Post by Harry »

Bob that was a terrific story. I just love hearing about others situation and how they came across their first Case . Keep them coming boys. :69: :thumbsup: :peace: Harry
mendonsy United States of America

Post by mendonsy »

One of the first jobs I had when I got out of high school (early 60's) was selling lawn & garden equipment for Sears so I was exposed to the Colt tractors as a competitor early on. My father and older brother had Case farm tractors so I also had experience with them. When we built our current home I needed a lawn tractor so I bought my 446 new in 1978. It is still going today with minimal repairs.
:446cart:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

After a couple of years of doing everything by hand at our little cottage, I finally convinced myself to get a mower tractor. There was an ad for an Allis Chalmers with deck and snow caster for 1700 and I told the guy I'm buying it but won't be able to come get it until the weekend, and he said that's fine. What do you know, next day the tractor was gone. Oh boy, was I upset for a few days. Maybe two weeks later a Case 220 package with attachments came up on the market and I went and got it from near Niagara Falls. That's how it started. Many Case tractors and attachments were chased and bought, because I liked them a lot and still do. I'm so glad that Allis Chalmers didn't come my way, I'd have most likely not find the Case garden tractors if that didn't happen.

Post by Harry »

mendonsy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:13 pm One of the first jobs I had when I got out of high school (early 60's) was selling lawn & garden equipment for Sears so I was exposed to the Colt tractors as a competitor early on. My father and older brother had Case farm tractors so I also had experience with them. When we built our current home I needed a lawn tractor so I bought my 446 new in 1978. It is still going today with minimal repairs.
:446cart:
Mendonsy, many Case GT owners have expanded their collections. Have you also contacted the Case fever? :peace: Harry