The weather

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

Re: The weather

Post by JSinMO »

Well looks like we’re finally out of the deep freeze around here. Nice temperatures forecasted for the next 10 days.
With a lot of rain. I know I complain about snow but I can deal with it. Today though we are having an ice storm :109: thankfully it’ll be less that a 1/4” so power lines and trees should be fine but the roads are in sad shape. When I was younger I wouldn’t have thought twice about heading out. But now I don’t mess with ice, I guess I don’t enjoy sliding around like I used to! Not much snow so far this season but a fair amount of rain. I hope this signals an end to our drought!
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

Yea, when it's ice, forget it. I might venture from the house to the barn once the ice stops coming, but no chance I'd get on a road.

We've got today to go before it breaks here. I got up, and ready to get out the door, and then looked at the temp... 12F. As a result my foray outdoors wasn't very long.

I managed to get home yesterday early enough to clean up the 5 or so inches of powder. The new snowcaster belts were waiting for me as predicted in the mailbox. It went on nicely, and following cleanup, it appears to be running right, with no wear evident, so I may now be good to go. Not that powder is much of a test, but if it was running against anything it would show... Finished cleanup with the 8N and the back blade. Had to hang a couple 65# suitcase weights on it, and I still didn't quite get to the asphalt. I hate not getting the snow when it falls. Waiting just makes it worse. Didn't bother with the gravel areas as we're going in to the 40's at least with 3 days of rain coming. Not likely to be any snow here by Friday.

I believe once snow season is done I should take a look at the caster to take up a little slack in the chain. It's ok, but not ideal.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Ok this is for an area an hour and a half drive from where Eugen and I are . I would say we here about the same this winter . How has it been for you ?

It’s been an uncharacteristically dreary winter this year in Toronto, almost similar to a “Vancouver kind of a winter” with more overcast days than normal, according to a senior climatologist.

Environment Canada’s David Phillips told CTV News Toronto in an interview Sunday that, typically, Toronto would have seen roughly between 190 to 200 hours of clear skies throughout the winter so far.

“Well, all we’ve had is 30,” he said. “It’s almost like the sun doesn’t appear anymore. It’s almost like a Vancouver kind of a winter.”
from a news article .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Weird winter. But winter might be starting here this weekend.

Noel

Post by JSinMO »

Day after day of overcast weather is just depressing. It sure zaps my motivation.
Down our way we are have a nice winter thaw. Today was sunny and 65F/18C with the next week in the 50s. Not unusual for us to have a thaw about now. Long range looks like we may go back into the deep freeze later this month. We typically get most of snow in February and March so we’ll see.
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Well it looks like all the furry weather prognosticators have seen the light :please:

" Wiarton Willie in Ontario, Shubenacadie Sam in Nova Scotia, Fred la marmotte in Quebec and Punxsutawney Phil in Pennsylvania are in agreement... an early Spring :))

The lone dissenting voice among weather prognosticating animals was Lucy the Lobster in Barrington, N.S. She saw her shadow and predicted "six more weeks of wonderful winter."
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I don't know the name of that bird, but we heard it a few days ago. My wife said "that's the bird telling us Spring is early". My reply was "let's get ready for a deep freeze and lots of snow soon". :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

6 more weeks of winter here. And it’s starting now. First major snow storm this winter, so far. Snow and wind from Friday nite till Tuesday. Hopefully not that bad, but who knows with the weather guessers.
See you next week. :giggle:

Noel
Attachments
IMG_7732.png
IMG_7731.png
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Stay Safe Noel, and don't feel obliged to share the white stuff... :giggle:
Another mild week coming up for Southern Ontario - they are predicting temps going all the way up to 9C (48F) by next Friday :dizzy:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)

Post by JSinMO »

propane1 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:52 pm 6 more weeks of winter here. And it’s starting now. First major snow storm this winter, so far. Snow and wind from Friday nite till Tuesday. Hopefully not that bad, but who knows with the weather guessers.
See you next week. :giggle:

Noel
Sounds like it’s time to stoke the fire and hibernate for a few days!