The weather

Shoot the breeze here.
MattA United States of America

Re: The weather

Post by MattA »

Timj wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:10 pm I put 8 gallons of gas through the 448 yesterday.
That's quite an accomplishment :cheers:
Ingersoll 4016
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@Timj, 8 gallons of gas, that is really impressive. Talk about seat time eh? But yeah, you gotta do what you gotta do. I filled up my tank too, and gone through some of it, not empty yet. One more round this morning needed.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:35 am @Timj, 8 gallons of gas, that is really impressive. Talk about seat time eh? But yeah, you gotta do what you gotta do. I filled up my tank too, and gone through some of it, not empty yet. One more round this morning needed.
The Onan's pretty thirsty when it is getting worked. It ran for 5hrs, probably close to 4.5hrs at wide open throttle. I was stuffing the blower full right till you could hear it start lugging the engine.

I'm very pleased with the performance of this blower, to the point that my thoughts of setting up a two stage are almost gone.
:creeper: deck's on, blades sharp, let's go it's time to mow :48: :446cart:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@Timj , I was going to post something similar about the performance of my snowcaster. The last two winters have convinced me no need for a two stage. My first few seasons with a snowcaster were quite aggravating. But there were many things to blame, the engine, the clutch, the belt, the old bearings on the snowcaster, and the lack of traction on the rear wheels. Everything is different now on my 444, chains and combine wheel weights on the rear, good engine, new bearings and chain on the snowcaster, good belt and clutch that actually holds tight when on. The neighbour was totally impressed when he saw me blow snow. It's not the distance it throws, but the speed it clears with, I guess. My tractor does not slip or skip a beat now, it just grunts and pushes through. I think I understand you, yours is even more powerful. :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:21 pm @Timj , I was going to post something similar about the performance of my snowcaster. The last two winters have convinced me no need for a two stage. My first few seasons with a snowcaster were quite aggravating. But there were many things to blame, the engine, the clutch, the belt, the old bearings on the snowcaster, and the lack of traction on the rear wheels. Everything is different now on my 444, chains and combine wheel weights on the rear, good engine, new bearings and chain on the snowcaster, good belt and clutch that actually holds tight when on. The neighbour was totally impressed when he saw me blow snow. It's not the distance it throws, but the speed it clears with, I guess. My tractor does not slip or skip a beat now, it just grunts and pushes through. I think I understand you, yours is even more powerful. :thumbsup:
I actually had a guy stop on the road when I was doing the one driveway, same thing, totally impressed with the speed and volume of snow being thrown.
Ya, I have a few more ponies so I can push a little more through, but as long as you can keep the rpm's up you can still move alot of snow. Our tractors hydraulic drive's infinite speed control really shines with varying snow conditions. :69:
Now to get a new hydraulic motor in the AHSB48 and see what I can make that thing do. ;)
:creeper: deck's on, blades sharp, let's go it's time to mow :48: :446cart:
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Owning both a modern SB48 snowcaster and a Berco 2 stage, I have a similar opinion to both of you guys. The Snowcaster just does so well in any snow depth. Doesn't matter if its fluffy or slushy. The Berco seems to do better in deeper snow. A while back I posted some comparison notes on the two blowers. One snow storm I did half the driveway with the Berco and the other half with the Snowcaster. With the snowcaster I was able to blow probably twice as much snow which resulted in a higher travel speed.

Back in 2022 we was the first time I got to use the Berco in deep powder. It did not disappoint. When I started blowing the bright sunshiny day turned into a dull gray day. I realized the Berco was literally blocking out the sun with powdered snow. The Berco is designed for tractors 18Hp to 27Hp. Having a 16Hp Vanguard, it's obviously underpowered but is actually quite controllable on our tractors

In 2023 the Berco was sidelined with input shaft and input shaft bearing repairs. Having two little kids and working too much, I never got around to installing the Berco. The snowcaster just does a great job at moving a huge volume of snow just far enough to clear my driveway. I think the Berco would work well clearing a large area where it can blow the snow beyond the area being cleared or throwing snow up over high snow banks.
Snow coming over the Berco.
Snow coming over the Berco.
If you look closely just beyond the chute, you can see the snow coming out in pulses.
If you look closely just beyond the chute, you can see the snow coming out in pulses.
Ingersoll 4016
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

I have to agree on the snow throwers. They can move the snow. I use to have a snowblower on my ford LGT 165 it worked well. But a lot of troubles. Worn out when I got it. And very strange drive system. But would handle snow very well. I’ve been into snow banks at the end of the driveway that came over the top of the blower and tractor engine bonnet. But, I found a snowthrower for the ford a few years ago. Fixed it up and am using it now. Same size as the snow blower. Opening on both is 42” wide and 20” tall. The thrower works just as good I’d say as the blower. But I do have a different chute on it.
The thrower has less moving parts, which is good, and is lighter, which is good.
My Case snowcasters can move snow, but don’t throw very far. I some times have to rethrow snow two or more times to get it into the woods. Not a big deal but it seems that we all like to have our snow thrown far. My John Deere snowthrower on the JD 140H3 tractor is basically the same build as the Case snowcaster. But has a 6” opening for the chute and the Case has an 8” opening. I believe this is the reason Case throwers don’t throw as far. And any garden tractor snow blower or thrower, that I’ve seen, has had a 6” chute opening. But the main thing is, they all can move snow and that’s what we want. So far this winter I have not have much snow to move.
Now, another little rant, I have found snow blowers spill snow out the empty side after you make the first pass and are doing your next passes. Some blowers are better than others at not spilling. But in my experience, a thrower never seems to spill any out the empty side after the first pass. And snow blowers seem to leave that pile of snow when you back away, throwers don’t do that.
I always use to preach two stage snowblowers were the best, well I’ve change my mind I guess. Snowthrowers are just as good. In my fleet at home here, it’s all snowthrowers.

Jumpins that was quite a ramble. Haven’t had a good one in a while. :giggle:

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

The repairs and modifications I did to my snow caster has defiantly made an improvement . The genny engine make all the power I need . Seldom ever here the governor kick in under load . Increasing the speed of the auger with a tight clearance to a smooth painted body and the taller/narrowed chute give a lot more distance . That is of course when the wind is not blowing it back at you . Pervading :hitsfan: winds come from the south southwest , which of course is where I need to send the snow for 90% of the areas I need to clear . :cuss: :rofl:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

-5F this morning I think that’s 3 days now that we have been below zero. You guys up north can have this crap! :rofl:
Temps are supposed to start climbing today. A little more snow over night, just enough to be a nuisance. I thought it did make a nice winter morning picture though.
IMG_4511.png
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Going to be 8C/46F here tomorrow morning here Jeff. So you can keep your cold. :rofl: :78: :giggle:

Noel