The weather

Shoot the breeze here.
propane1 Canada

Re: The weather

Post by propane1 »

JSinMO wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:05 am
MattA wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:40 pm
JSinMO wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:35 am Glad you got things patched up Matt. Hopefully it will last awhile. I sure agree with you Harry in hopping everyone stays safe!
We’ve had a fair amount of moisture here as well but as of yet not enough snow to worry about needing to plow it. Plenty of cold rain. But now we’re into the cold along with a lot of you guys. This evening was a different kind of excitement.

16F with wind and a light snow falling when the propane truck arrived to fill our tank about 7:30. Somehow he ended up off the driveway and buried the truck in our yard.
Waited with him till about 10 when the wrecker was able to get here to winch him out. Sure made for a long cold night that I wasn’t expecting! I know the guy felt bad about it, but he sure left me a hell of a mess to clean up. Were supposed to be below zero for lows the next few days with highs in the teens so on the bright side our tank is full and his truck is fine except for being a little muddy now. IMG_4491.jpeg
Brings back memories of an oil delivery truck stuck off my neighbors driveway. He probably dug a solid 2' deep hole with the tire off the driveway. It was also winter and it took 3 small tow trucks chained together to pull the oil truck out.

I'm surprised you didn't dig him out with your tractors.
He was way too heavy for any of my tractors to pull him. My Case 830 is the heaviest machine around here and it’s no match for an up hill pull on a loaded propane truck stuck in mud. @propane1 may know from his experience but I’m guess that truck was between 15,000 to 25,000 LBS. I considered it but after looking at his position experience has taught me to just call in the big guns and make it easy!

I’d say 25,000 lbs and up. Depending on the amount of fuel on board. No sense breaking your stuff Jeff or putting yourself in harms way. Like you say. Call in the big guns. The right tool for the job.

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

have had to clear the driveway 3 time in 24 hrs after clearing the slush the other day when we got snow then rain . We now have over a foot of snow pack on the ground from the nothing we had a few days ago. And more on the way . How are you guys making out ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Did our place this afternoon, then driveway for three neighbours, this evening ours again. The 444 with the snowcaster is the star of the neighbourhood. :D

https://youtube.com/shorts/2kApBd4gd3U? ... Wy1jfMxy_U

Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:13 pm have had to clear the driveway 3 time in 24 hrs after clearing the slush the other day when we got snow then rain . We now have over a foot of snow pack on the ground from the nothing we had a few days ago. And more on the way . How are you guys making out ?
Sub zero here all day, -1F at the moment. A dusting to maybe an inch on the ground, not enough to mess with really. Chance for more snow into tomorrow.
IMG_4505.jpeg
Looks like the dog isn’t happy with the cold!
IMG_4509.jpeg
@Eugen looks like that machine is working well. I love seeing that snow get thrown! :thumbsup:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

We got to+4 from -4 this morning. That's cold for you @JSinMO.🥶 It was a good day to hibernate.
@DavidBarkey we ended up with about a foot, don't really know because the last part of the snow blew around so much. But with Tuesdays it's knee deep. We don't get lake effect so looks like nothing till late week. :highfive:
444 getting it done :thumbsup: @Eugen that looks familiar, I put 8 gallons of gas through the 448 yesterday.
:creeper: deck's on, blades sharp, let's go it's time to mow :48: :446cart:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@Timj We were -10 this morning, which I’ve seen happen on occasion where we live. But not all day! News out of St Louis says we broke a record for cold so I guess yeah us! :43: :33: :headbash: :cuss:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Timj wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:10 pm We got to+4 from -4 this morning. That's cold for you @JSinMO.🥶 It was a good day to hibernate.
@DavidBarkey we ended up with about a foot, don't really know because the last part of the snow blew around so much. But with Tuesdays it's knee deep. We don't get lake effect so looks like nothing till late week. :highfive:
444 getting it done :thumbsup: @Eugen that looks familiar, I put 8 gallons of gas through the 448 yesterday.
Holy cats Tim. That’s a lot of gas. You must have a big area.

Noel
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

5C here today. So most of my driveway base has melted and it’s going to be an ice rink. :45: :45: But , I covered it today with a sand salt mix they use on our secondary roads here. So that helps a lot. Used the MF12 with winch operated loader. Worked good. Put mixture in bucket and threw it out around on ground. Just trying I
So very little snow here Dave. Out on the lawn there might be 3” maybe.

Noel
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

propane1 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:02 pm
Timj wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:10 pm We got to+4 from -4 this morning. That's cold for you @JSinMO.🥶 It was a good day to hibernate.
Holy cats Tim. That’s a lot of gas. You must have a big area.

Noel
I have quite a bit around the house and buildings to do, plus I still have one driveway by town that I still do. He's my only customer I kept from when I used to plow for hire.
I did some with the New Holland too last night. And I still have the pipe yard to do. :109:
:creeper: deck's on, blades sharp, let's go it's time to mow :48: :446cart:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

It came from the SW Lake Erie lake effect snow over night. A foot with some drifting up to two feet. Close to the driveway wet slush with fluffy snow on top. It didn’t want to go through the caster even with taking small bites. I pushed a lot them back up and ram it to get it through the caster. Engine would labor a bit but governor would kick in and rpm’s would increase. I’m very happy with improvements that were made. Much better steering control with snow blower tires on the front. Easier too with poor mans steering thrust bearings. I till need to check rpm at full throttle. I don’t believe it’s at 3600 yet. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226