The weather

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

Re: The weather

Post by JSinMO »

Glad you got things patched up Matt. Hopefully it will last awhile. I sure agree with you Harry in hopping everyone stays safe!
We’ve had a fair amount of moisture here as well but as of yet not enough snow to worry about needing to plow it. Plenty of cold rain. But now we’re into the cold along with a lot of you guys. This evening was a different kind of excitement.

16F with wind and a light snow falling when the propane truck arrived to fill our tank about 7:30. Somehow he ended up off the driveway and buried the truck in our yard.
Waited with him till about 10 when the wrecker was able to get here to winch him out. Sure made for a long cold night that I wasn’t expecting! I know the guy felt bad about it, but he sure left me a hell of a mess to clean up. Were supposed to be below zero for lows the next few days with highs in the teens so on the bright side our tank is full and his truck is fine except for being a little muddy now.
IMG_4491.jpeg
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

JSinMO wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:35 am Glad you got things patched up Matt. Hopefully it will last awhile. I sure agree with you Harry in hopping everyone stays safe!
We’ve had a fair amount of moisture here as well but as of yet not enough snow to worry about needing to plow it. Plenty of cold rain. But now we’re into the cold along with a lot of you guys. This evening was a different kind of excitement.

16F with wind and a light snow falling when the propane truck arrived to fill our tank about 7:30. Somehow he ended up off the driveway and buried the truck in our yard.
Waited with him till about 10 when the wrecker was able to get here to winch him out. Sure made for a long cold night that I wasn’t expecting! I know the guy felt bad about it, but he sure left me a hell of a mess to clean up. Were supposed to be below zero for lows the next few days with highs in the teens so on the bright side our tank is full and his truck is fine except for being a little muddy now. IMG_4491.jpeg

Ahhh, the memories of driving one of those trucks and being stuck or on bad roads in the middle of the night.
Not great memories. :45: :40: :109:

Noel :pullhair:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Only got a couple inchs of snow here , but with the high winds it is blown clean or drifted . Then it started raining in the early morning and turning colder this afternoon .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@MattA Careful how long you wait to replace the roof . Next year that quote could be $20k and end up costing you much more in the long run .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

MattA wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:59 pm 20240111_085326.jpg
20240111_085512.jpg
Those look like architectural shingles, but the pattern is real weird, so it wouldn't shock me if the offset was not right.

I've got them on my house, new less than 10 years ago. The previous batch held for 40+ years. It's an A-Frame, tucked in the woods, so they're pretty protected. However, I have lost 3 in exactly the same way. Shingle split halfway up and slid down. All 3 on the same line of shingles. I'm guessing it was a bad bundle from the factory. Apart from working on a 60 degree slope, they weren't too bad to repair. Piece just slid right back in place.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@JSinMO oh no! Are you going to wait for spring to fix that?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:52 am @JSinMO oh no! Are you going to wait for spring to fix that?
I’m not sure. I’ll need to bring dirt in. But frozen or muddy will just make a bigger mess so I probably should wait for spring. I’m just not sure my OCD or need to run old equipment will let me wait!
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Toolslinger wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:57 am
MattA wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:59 pm 20240111_085326.jpg
20240111_085512.jpg
Those look like architectural shingles, but the pattern is real weird, so it wouldn't shock me if the offset was not right.

I've got them on my house, new less than 10 years ago. The previous batch held for 40+ years. It's an A-Frame, tucked in the woods, so they're pretty protected. However, I have lost 3 in exactly the same way. Shingle split halfway up and slid down. All 3 on the same line of shingles. I'm guessing it was a bad bundle from the factory. Apart from working on a 60 degree slope, they weren't too bad to repair. Piece just slid right back in place.
From what I've read on the internet IKO didn't put enough tar on the shingles to adhere to the adjacent shingles. Lots of people with loose shingles like I have. The shingles are also very thin and flimsy compared to the Owen's Corning the carpenter showed me.

This was the first time and the worst time I lost shingles. Roof was about 4 years old at the time. This is the base of my main roof. I'm standing on the garage roof which comes up to the main roof.
20191103_162805.jpg
20191103_162808.jpg
I don't have any pictures of the 2nd repair job where the architectural tabs literally ripped off the shingles. The carpenter was literally next door putting about a dozen shingles back on my neighbors roof. I went and talked to him and he did the repair for $60.

From what I've seen on the internet, IKO has had multiple class action lawsuits brought against them and warranty claims pay almost nothing if you are able to jump through enough hoops to actually get anything from IKO.
Ingersoll 4016
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

JSinMO wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:35 am Glad you got things patched up Matt. Hopefully it will last awhile. I sure agree with you Harry in hopping everyone stays safe!

Waited with him till about 10 when the wrecker was able to get here to winch him out. Sure made for a long cold night that I wasn’t expecting! I know the guy felt bad about it, but he sure left me a hell of a mess to clean up. Were supposed to be below zero for lows the next few days with highs in the teens so on the bright side our tank is full and his truck is fine except for being a little muddy now. IMG_4491.jpeg
Brings back memories of an oil delivery truck stuck off my neighbors driveway. He probably dug a solid 2' deep hole with the tire off the driveway. It was also winter and it took 3 small tow trucks chained together to pull the oil truck out.

I'm surprised you didn't dig him out with your tractors.
Ingersoll 4016

Post by JSinMO »

MattA wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:40 pm

Brings back memories of an oil delivery truck stuck off my neighbors driveway. He probably dug a solid 2' deep hole with the tire off the driveway. It was also winter and it took 3 small tow trucks chained together to pull the oil truck out.

I'm surprised you didn't dig him out with your tractors.
He was way too heavy for any of my tractors to pull him. My Case 830 is the heaviest machine around here and it’s no match for an up hill pull on a loaded propane truck stuck in mud. @propane1 may know from his experience but I’m guess that truck was between 15,000 to 25,000 LBS. I considered it but after looking at his position experience has taught me to just call in the big guns and make it easy!