The weather

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

Re: The weather

Post by JSinMO »

MattA wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:26 am @propane1 Noel how did you make out with the storm Wednesday?

We had a lot of rain and even higher winds than the last storm. Got a few gallons of water in the basement through a crack in the wall. This time the water made it to my kids play rugs. Presently drying that out... took a look at my roof this morning and I'm missing shingles for the 5th time in the past few years. Found those in the neighbors yard along with some other storm debris. Random chickens roaming my yard... road is flooded nearby... more trees down... Not too bad here compared to what other areas got :cheers:
Sorry to hear that Matt. Hope you can get things fixed quickly.

We’re supposed to have rain with wind and maybe snow tomorrow afternoon.
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Here we go again. Same storm tomorrow as we had on Wednesday.

Noel
Attachments
IMG_7594.png
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Here is what ours reads today for the weekend .
winter storm warning in effect
Winter storm expected this evening to Saturday morning.
:hitsfan:

Hazards:
Heavy snowfall with total accumulations of 10 to 25 cm.
Peak snowfall rates of 3 to 5 cm per hour.
Strong wind gusts resulting in significantly reduced visibility in blowing snow.

Timing:
This evening to Saturday morning.

Discussion:
Snow is forecast to begin late this afternoon and will quickly become heavy at times, before transitioning to periods of rain tonight as temperatures rise above freezing. Strong southeasterly winds gusting up to 70 km/h will combine with this heavy snow to cause significantly reduced visibility at times.

In the wake of this system, much colder Arctic air will become established across the region. A multi-day lake effect snow event is expected for locations east of the Great Lakes bringing additional snowfall accumulations to some communities.

###

Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow. Visibility will be suddenly reduced to near zero at times in heavy snow and blowing snow.
:hm:
They have down graded the total to 40-60 cm from 60-80 cm but now are forcasting that white stuff on and off all week after that .
:109: :33:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:58 am Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. :D
It's on the way :rofl:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Started snowing here early this morning. Pretty much the same forecast as Mr Dave's except we won't be getting the lake effect after, just the cold.
Looking like 8-14 inches here with high winds 50mph tonight. Counties are being switched to blizzard warnings. The media is in a tizzy. You would think it has never snowed here. :rofl:

Got a couple of service calls and then it's time to hibernate. :69:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
THEOTHERHALF United States of America

Post by THEOTHERHALF »

Hey case folks, been snowing here all morning, got to watch plow slam a ton of wet slushy snow into mailbox, heard him coming way before he got here, I always hear the fast moving plows and cringe cause they have hit the windows before on a 3 season porch, porch is 45-50 foot from roadway, will repair mailbox so no big loss this time. we have about 5 inches of wet snow I just finished clearing, will have to do again later, hope all fares well this winter. sorry to hear about your roofing, hope it all works out for ya.
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

THEOTHERHALF wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:20 pm Hey case folks, been snowing here all morning, got to watch plow slam a ton of wet slushy snow into mailbox, heard him coming way before he got here, I always hear the fast moving plows and cringe cause they have hit the windows before on a 3 season porch, porch is 45-50 foot from roadway, will repair mailbox so no big loss this time. we have about 5 inches of wet snow I just finished clearing, will have to do again later, hope all fares well this winter. sorry to hear about your roofing, hope it all works out for ya.
I feel for you and your mailbox @THEOTHERHALF we are downtown in a big city and our old house is 12' back from the edge of the main drag - in the wee hours of the morning plow drivers put the hammer down and race down the street (it's 5 lanes of one way traffic) I swear they are going 45 - 50 mph (speed limit in the city is 30) and the slush will go halfway up the front of the house... :cuss:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Got my roof fixed this morning. Guy lives nearby and does a good job at a reasonable price. Only needed 1 full shingle replaced. Looked like more from the ground. In addition to the really cheap shingles the builder used, the carpenter thinks the shingles might not have been nailed in properly. The offset pattern wasn't done right and the tar between the shingles isn't holding very well. He says otherwise the shingles look to be in decent shape. My house is only 9.5 years old.

Guy said its probably like $15K in shingles to do my roof. For the $100 per yearly repair job, I'm hoping to get a few more years out of it.
Damage
Damage
Some of the shingles. This sort of damage has happened before.
Some of the shingles. This sort of damage has happened before.
Were expecting another storm tonight with high winds. We have gotten about 10" of rain since Dec 1st.
Ingersoll 4016
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

In WNY in Niagara County where I live the wind has changed direction. We usually get a SW wind but now it’s coming from the NE. They are saying a big snow storm over the weekend. Usually when we get the Noreaster it’s more wind than snow. It would be coming with Lake Effect snow off of Lake Ontario. I’ll just have to wait and see how bad it gets. The 446 with snow caster is ready to blow. Matt, I think you mentioned iko shingles. I had a roof once with them and it didn’t last long. Like you mentioned they didn’t seal properly and were breaking and falling off. I had to get a new roof to stop the repair bills. I hope all are safe and sound through this Winter season. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226