The weather

Shoot the breeze here.
Harry United States of America

Re: The weather

Post by Harry »

Jancoe wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:30 pm I'll second ya Harry. My belt on my caster is tight and hard to get on and once it's on you can see the spring doing its job. It does sound like your belt is longer. I messed up putting my caster on this winter. I routed the belt outside of the mule drive and it tore up the belt in seconds. Glad I had a new spare that I now have to replace.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Hey, I’ve done that before with a new belt no less. :pullhair: :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:09 am
MattA wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:06 pm @Toolslinger Are any of your pulleys really worn or pitted causing the belt to slip? Sounds like you had a good time snow blowing. I'm not sure its possible to clog a snowcaster.

The temps dropped here late afternoon and the rain changed over to a heavy dense snow which was beginning to freeze. Kids and I played in it and then I got out the Berco. Last years repairs seemed to work well. The Berco dumped the snow about 30' away. The 16HP vanguard seems to run ok with the clean carb but just seems to lack power.
Matt , when was the last time the valve lash was checked ? Spark plug gap checked for ware? These things can rob power if not correct yet still run ok .
Good question. Either spring 23 or spring 22? I need to be better about writing this stuff down. The plugs are the long life part number from Briggs... about 7 years old, 250hrs. I recall the last time I checked them, they were 0.001" or so over spec. Air filter was replaced at the same time.

Fuel wise I'm running 87 octane + maybe a gallon of 109 octane. The 109 octane is a bit of a sore spot... Basically I stopped by a gas station in town that has ethanol free gas and asked about ethanol free gas for my tractor. They filled my 5 gallon tank and proceeded to pork me $14/gallon for 109 octane gas without ever mentioning it was $14/gallon.
Ingersoll 4016
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Well fellas Mother Nature got me today. :109: our storm stared with rain about 2 today no big deal. I headed home from work a little after 4 and it was still raining I got within 10 miles of home and thing changed in a blink! Snowing like crazy. :112: The closer I got to home the worse it got. My poor car is a great daily driver but it has no chance in snow. There are some big hills along the final stretch to my house. Maybe I’m getting smarter as I age or maybe I’m losing my nerve, but I parked the car and left it at a friends house. No sense putting a nice car in the ditch just to get 5 miles up the road. Fella I know gave me a lift in his 4x4. Hopefully I can bring it home in a day or two.
IMG_4476.jpeg
As silly as it sounds this kind of thing is kinda hard for me. I’m usually the guy helping someone, I don’t like needing the help! :45: but that’s how it goes sometimes. I’ll spend the rest of the evening kicking my self for not driving my truck today! :rofl:

I’m hearing reports of vehicles of the road all over the place, including police cars so I’m glad I stopped.

We don’t actually have much on the ground yet but just enough on the roads to screw things up.
Don’t know how much we’ll end up with but they are saying we have another big storm coming in Friday and again Monday :barf: :pullhair: :rofl:
Florida is looking better all the time!

@myerslawnandgarden I think your a ways north east of me sounds like you guys are going to get a pile of snow too.
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

You could also get a set of snow tires. I used to have Bridgestone Blizzaks. I wouldn't even bother shoveling my car out. Even took it to work in 6" of snow.
Ingersoll 4016

Post by JSinMO »

MattA wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:10 pm You could also get a set of snow tires. I used to have Bridgestone Blizzaks. I wouldn't even bother shoveling my car out. Even took it to work in 6" of snow.
That’s a good point Matt. I’ve never worried about putting snow tires on it because I usually drive my truck in the winter. I have all-terrains on it and it’ll get me just about anywhere I need to go. Dummy me rolled the dice on the weather and crapped out this time. :D There’s no grass or branches hanging out of the grill and we stayed on all 4 wheels so no harm done.
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

It started to snow hard with big fluffy flakes at 9 am. Then about 10 am it started raining which it is still now. Suppose to rain all evening so what little snow is on the ground will be gone. Then on Thursday more snow. Crazy weather but a lot better than a lake effect blizzard . A friend of mine lives in the Philippines txt me last night said they had an earthquake two days ago. I told him I’ll take a blizzard over a earthquake any day. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

RoamingGnome wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:31 pm Ugh... :headbash:

Our weather prognosticators are smoking some wacky tobacky or something... For tomorrow the western end of Lake Ontario (Hamilton Specifically) now has "Heavy" snowfall warnings of 2-5cm (an inch or two...) and by lunchtime that's going to turn to rain, and keep raining until late Tuesday night... with 20-30 mm of rain possible (an inch or so of rain)

Too much doom and gloom :fight: I might go back to using the Farmer's Almanac for my weather forecasts...
For up here they are warning of 60-80 cm (24-28") between Friday and Monday . When you look at those days individually on the same site . Friday 17.6cm Saturday 15.5cm Sunday 22.7cm Monday 12.8cm = 68.8cm It will be spread out , assuming we get all of it . And they are calling for periods of rain . :dizzy:
30 cm = 1 foot
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

@DavidBarkey Can we come play in your snow? :114: - We are "promised" 5-10cm on Friday, and 1-3cm on Saturday - but the weekend is still far away - and who knows what might happen before then... :65:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

RoamingGnome wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:02 pm @DavidBarkey Can we come play in your snow? :114: - We are "promised" 5-10cm on Friday, and 1-3cm on Saturday - but the weekend is still far away - and who knows what might happen before then... :65:
Sure thing . Come with a trailer and I will send you home with as much as I can pack in it .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by JSinMO »

Sounds like a lot of us are in for an interesting weather weekend. Light snow outside now and we’re still on track for two more waves Friday and Sunday.
It’s interesting how different areas get used to different weather. 24-28”, or lake effect blizzard would be an absolute call in the army emergency here. I would say 12” is about our limit to handle without too much trouble. I happened to be in Dallas /Fort Worth area one winter several years ago. They got a dusting of snow, not even enough to cover the grass, on the morning I was to fly out and the city shut down. I couldn’t get a taxi to pick me up to save my soul! Finally got one of these ride share guys to get me from Irving to Love Field.