Messing around in the shop

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

Re: Messing around in the shop

Post by JSinMO »

MattA wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:08 pm You could add some weights to the 3pt.
How big is the number 37 sickle bar mower? Looks huge in the pictures.
I thought about that too. I’ve got some square weighs that I’ll use in the carry all box when I use the blade but I need to find something for 3 point use.
That # 37 is 10 feet long and with the bar down in mowing position it’s about 12 feet wide. Around 5 feet wide with the bar in the stowed position. It looks a little more proportional behind the tractor I use it on.
IMG_4446.png

Post by JSinMO »

I realize your probably tired of seeing old sickle mowers, but since it a damp cloudy winter day I thought you all might enjoy coming into the shop for todays exercise in percussive maintenance! That’s right we’re going to take a couple of BFH’s and beat the snot out of it! :D :smash:
IMG_4458.jpeg
Now this thing did a decent job last year over all but it did have its hiccups. Second cutting was the worst, the mower was dog tracking behind the tractor pretty bad and it kept plugging up. I got a heck of a workout getting on and off the tractor lifting the bar and clearing plugged grass! :cuss: I was pretty annoyed by the end of the day and figured it needed some maintenance and adjustment. Boy was I right! :headbash:

First thing I see I one of the rock guards is missing its ledger plate. If you think of the cutting action like a bunch of scissors going back and forth a missing ledger is like only having half a pair of scissors. Luckily I have some spares laying around. Hopefully you can see the difference in this picture.
IMG_4459.jpeg
That was easy enough. I thought I’d check function next. You typically can turn the PTO shaft by hand and see everything moving, but not in this case, the knives are stuck in the bar! :headbash:
Every two rock guards on the bar also have a wear plate and hold down that keeps the knives in proper orientation. I removed them and pulled the knife out.
IMG_4462.jpeg
Two wear plates were worn out but luckily I had some new ones on the shelf. A little time with a scrapper, and wire wheel, reassembled and now it moves freely! That two problems fixed.

Next let’s check the bar alignment. According to the manual the outside of the bar should be 1 3/4” to 2” forward of the inside of the bar. Yup you guessed it, it’s out of spec. This is important because the resistance of the grass will push the bar back to straight when mowing and it will move easier through the hay.
IMG_4463.jpeg
The bar moves back and forth on an eccentric and wouldn’t you know it’s rusted solid in its bore. :109:
IMG_4464.jpeg
Off comes the bar and in come big fricking hammer number one! :rofl: it actually came loose fairly easily. And I was able to get it adjusted to 2”.
That’s problem number three taken care of. Let’s see if the knife timing is good. Nope! It’s not even close to being in register. Thinking scissors again being out of time is like trying to cut a piece of paper but your scissors only close halfway.

IMG_4465.jpeg
Got everything loose on the drag link and reached for the bigger BFH and started swinging for the fence! :rofl:
It moved much easier that the other mower I worked on. This looks much better.
IMG_4466.jpeg
Given all the broken, worn out, and misaligned parts I am shocked this thing cut hay at all! This of course falls on my shoulders, I should have done this before but I made the fatal error of assuming. :45:
I’m expecting a much better experience this upcoming season!

Well that about wraps up my “do a better job maintaining your equipment” rambling for today! :rofl:
Thanks for coming along! :thumbsup:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I always enjoy the next instalment of "Messing around the shop". Thank you for sharing and having the patience to describe what you were doing. It's a great learning experience for me. Never crossed my mind a sickle mower has any adjustments at all :109: which shows how naive I can be. :giggle:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:59 am I always enjoy the next instalment of "Messing around the shop". Thank you for sharing and having the patience to describe what you were doing. It's a great learning experience for me. Never crossed my mind a sickle mower has any adjustments at all :109: which shows how naive I can be. :giggle:
Thanks Eugen. I don’t think it’s naive at all. If I’ve never used a machine before there’s no way I could now what it needs to work properly. If someone wanted to attach one of those belly sickle mowers to a GT the procedures to set it up would be very similar.

Post by JSinMO »

Well fellas I don’t expect everything to go right all the time but man I sure had an aggravating time in the shop tonight! :109: :cuss: :headbash: :hitsfan:

We have snow in the forecast for overnight and I thought it would be a good idea to check things over so I’m ready in case I need to plow.
I have the tractors staged with the 2N behind the 446. That Ford refuses to start!
IMG_4515.jpeg
I fiddled with it for a couple of hours! I’m seeing problems it never had before. It’s got an intermittent spark issue and now the carb is dripping gas. I started looking into the ignition system. Here’s a picture that should be familiar to @Toolslinger !
IMG_4516.jpeg
That front mount distributor is a pain in the :cuss:
I cleaned up all the contacts, then went through the carburetor then flooded it went through it all again and never got it started. I had myself so turned around and worked up I threw in the towel. :109: :124:
At this point I have no clue. I’m going to have start over with a fresh mind another day.

Unfortunately the 446 is being and blocked in. Of course it fired right up! So I used it to push the 2N out of the way and then back in the shop.
IMG_4520.jpeg
Then it died! I let is sit while I checked fuel and got a meter to check voltage to the coil. All checked good. I hit the key and started right up, so no idea what that was about. I test the blade and realized with the weight on the 3 point it wants to bleed down and drag the ground. Good grief what next. I chained the 3 point up and set the lift rod for the blade a notch lower now its working. And not a moment to soon!
IMG_4521.jpeg
I really like having a backup machine just in case but this time around if I need to move snow the 446 is going to have to get it done by itself!

Thanks for listening to my ramble! Sometimes it’s nice to be able to vent to a group that’s been there and understands!
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

One of those days Jeff! But in the end it worked out at least partially and you got the 446 ready. What's going to get you more mad is that you'll find some simple thing wrong with the 2n. Sometimes you're tired or just is meant to be that. At least it happens to us with vintage tractors. Imagine how those folks feel when it happens to their shiny new green machines. :109:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:18 am One of those days Jeff! But in the end it worked out at least partially and you got the 446 ready. What's going to get you more mad is that you'll find some simple thing wrong with the 2n. Sometimes you're tired or just is meant to be that. At least it happens to us with vintage tractors. Imagine how those folks feel when it happens to their shiny new green machines. :109:
I know you’re right. This is the first winter I’ve had the Ford and I did very little to get it running. Cold weather has a way of exposing problems. Im thinking I’ll get a few things to tune it up and just take my time to go over it. There’s no reason it shouldn’t start on a cold day. I think what got me so aggravated is I was expecting to go move things around and run for a bit and the 2N decided to smack me in the face! I guess I know what my next shop project will be!

Post by JSinMO »

Well since I’ll be messing with the 2N and I’ll be in the shop I’m hoping we can continue the conversation here!

I thought I’d recap the situation. I got this tractor back in July and it had been sitting for 5 years. I got it running and used it through the fall with no real issues. The cold weather however is a different story. It does not want to start in the cold! My last attempt as you can see above ended in failure :109:
I want to use this tractor for winter work so I’m going to try and get it more reliable.

I have found two issues, intermittent spark, and fuel delivery.

I have questions for the group. Have you ever changed to a different heat range on spark plugs? If so what difference did it make?

I usually just replace what was in an engine but this time I went to a “hotter” plug. The plugs that are in it now have been in there who know how long and have been fouled who know how many times. Looking at them the engine seems to be running on the rich side and it has a tendency to flood so I decided to go to a higher heat range plug and see what happens.

I also know at least 1 plug wire and maybe more are arcing to ground so I got a new set too.

I never checked the timing when I first got it going, it seemed to run fine so I didn’t worry about. But now I’m thinking I need to check it and maybe advance it a touch to see if it helps starting.

The last thing im going to check is the electronic ignition module just to make sure it was installed properly and hasn’t come loose in the distributor. As @myerslawnandgarden pointed out it seems to need a fast cranking speed to work correctly so I’ll have to make sure the battery is charged.

As far as the fuel side of things I went through the carburetor when I got the tractor running and didn’t really see anything concerning, except for the gaskets had seen better days, but now I see it is dripping gas so I got new ones and I’ll be going through the carburetor again just to make sure it’s clear.

That’s the plan and I’ll try and get some pictures up of the work. Thank you for following along with my rambling and if you have a thought, comment, or idea I surly appreciate it! :thumbsup:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Puzzling issue for sure. I'm positive you'll fix it soon. Does it start with a shot of ether?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:11 pm Puzzling issue for sure. I'm positive you'll fix it soon. Does it start with a shot of ether?
I did give it a whiff and it didn’t fire. That’s where I stopped last time. Thought I better walk away and come back later with a plan!