Messing around in the shop

Shoot the breeze here.
Eugen Canada

Re: Messing around in the shop

Post by Eugen »

thebuildist wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:34 pm "Free came at a cost of being unreliable..."

Are we talking about wind and solar now?

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
New topic in Everything else! Go for it, break the ice! :rofl:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

JSinMO wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:41 pm @Eugen I agree with you. Although corporate greed certainly isn’t a new phenomenon, it sure seems to have grown exponentially in our lifetime.
@Spike188 brings up a big con on the whole idea. 3/16 of the revenue to sell you mineral rights. And it would absolutely be my luck they would shut down production in February without me having enough storage to make it to spring.
If you own your mineral rights I believe a fellow can drill for them if he wanted to in a lot of areas, but when you figure all the up front costs of permits, drill rig, materials, needed equipment, and then the upkeep it would be difficult and not very profitable to do it without a gas company involved.
Maybe @RoamingGnome friends had the right idea to find a property that already has a well!
In Canada , we do not own the mineral rights . The Federal government does unless it sells/leases it to a third party , but is governed by the local Municipality . Up here when you buy a property you are only buying the top 18" of the soil . That is why when you dig for a foundation , septic, pool , or change the elevation of the land ect. you must get a Permit (ask for permission ) to dig beyound the 18" . This is why most gas lines ect. are only 18" -24" below grade here . Thats only as far as they have to go Not to be on private land , it's under it .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:13 am
JSinMO wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:41 pm @Eugen I agree with you. Although corporate greed certainly isn’t a new phenomenon, it sure seems to have grown exponentially in our lifetime.
@Spike188 brings up a big con on the whole idea. 3/16 of the revenue to sell you mineral rights. And it would absolutely be my luck they would shut down production in February without me having enough storage to make it to spring.
If you own your mineral rights I believe a fellow can drill for them if he wanted to in a lot of areas, but when you figure all the up front costs of permits, drill rig, materials, needed equipment, and then the upkeep it would be difficult and not very profitable to do it without a gas company involved.
Maybe @RoamingGnome friends had the right idea to find a property that already has a well!
In Canada , we do not own the mineral rights . The Federal government does unless it sells/leases it to a third party , but is governed by the local Municipality . Up here when you buy a property you are only buying the top 18" of the soil . That is why when you dig for a foundation , septic, pool , or change the elevation of the land ect. you must get a Permit (ask for permission ) to dig beyound the 18" . This is why most gas lines ect. are only 18" -24" below grade here . Thats only as far as they have to go Not to be on private land , it's under it .
Wow that is totally foreign to me. The only permitting we have is a building permit and in my area it’s so rural we really don’t even have that. I wouldn’t disparage what the rules are in other areas, and certainly not another country, but if I’m buying ground I expect to be buying all of it, not just the dust on top.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

JSinMO wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:17 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:13 am In Canada , we do not own the mineral rights . The Federal government does unless it sells/leases it to a third party , but is governed by the local Municipality . Up here when you buy a property you are only buying the top 18" of the soil . That is why when you dig for a foundation , septic, pool , or change the elevation of the land ect. you must get a Permit (ask for permission ) to dig beyound the 18" . This is why most gas lines ect. are only 18" -24" below grade here . Thats only as far as they have to go Not to be on private land , it's under it .
Wow that is totally foreign to me. The only permitting we have is a building permit and in my area it’s so rural we really don’t even have that. I wouldn’t disparage what the rules are in other areas, and certainly not another country, but if I’m buying ground I expect to be buying all of it, not just the dust on top.
I didn't know that either. :headbash:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Spent some time in the shop continuing on the carry all project.

I started off mocking up the side walls.
IMG_4394.jpeg
I was going to make them in this configuration and make some stake pockets so I could take them off. But the more I messed with it the less I liked it. Too bulky looking and I think they would flop around too much.
I happened to have an old piece of plywood so i added some blocking and made the floor next.
IMG_4395.jpeg
I rebuilt the sides and made them flatter and permanently attached to the frame with lag bolts.
IMG_4397.jpeg
IMG_4396.jpeg

They are pretty solid but I figured I should tie it all together to stiffen everything up a little more. I cut a couple of pieces of metal and made some corner brackets. Much more solid now.
IMG_4401.jpeg
IMG_4400.jpeg
I also made two L brackets for the back end. I still have to attach them. That should make the box pretty solid.
IMG_4399.jpeg
I think that should about wrap this project up! At some point I may make a tail gate but it’s useful as is.
Is it perfect? Not hardly!
Could a guy have done it differently or better? Yup!
But this should work fine for my needs. This was a fun little project made just about completely with material that was headed for the dumpster. Instead of trash now it’s something useful.

As always thanks for following along! :thumbsup:
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Thanks for sharing, :thumbsup:
Looks like a very useful addition for the tractor, and being recycled is a bonus!
:cheers:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@JSinMO Looks great , I am a big beleaver in re-purposing when ever I can as well . On that note , a set of old tire chains and some hooks would make a great tailgate "netting " . Just enough to keep the big stuff from rattling off and the small stuff in pails .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Nice job, that's going to be really handy. :thumbsup: Those projects that you can do with material you already have and minimal $$$$ always seem the most rewarding. Maybe it's because it gives me justification for saving things. :106:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Great job Jeff, you inspired me to build one after we move. :highfive:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Terrific job Jeff. Very useful and like you said made with repurposed materials. :thumbsup: :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226