Messing around in the shop

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

Re: Messing around in the shop

Post by JSinMO »

I made the frame for the box to set on. It’s a simple A-frame made from the 2x4s in the pallets. Screwed together then bolted to the 3 point frame. I was going to make it out of steel but it should be mostly down force so I’m hoping this will be fine.
IMG_4382.jpeg
I made the front wall of the bed and attached it to what will be the floor. Then bigger problems arose! Don’t know if you can tell in the picture but there’s no power in the shop! :hitsfan: :109: :42:
IMG_4388.jpeg
Turns out the 200 amp main breaker decided it was going to retire. :headbash: :cuss: :pullhair:
IMG_4387.jpeg
It’s old and apparently made of unobtainium. They don’t make them anymore. :headbash: :cuss: The few examples that still exist cost enough to curl your hair!

It was at least 50% cheaper to just put in a whole new service panel. So that the path we chose. Thankfully it was relatively easy work. New panel in and disaster averted! :69:
Now maybe I can get back to messing around IN the shop instead of messing around ON the shop!
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Power for lights and tools is pretty important in the shop, the house could have waited a while to fix but not the shop. :D
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:

Post by JSinMO »

Timj wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:56 pm Power for lights and tools is pretty important in the shop, the house could have waited a while to fix but not the shop. :D

:rofl: :rofl: You hit the nail on the head Tim!

I mean come on, we can use the fireplaces in the house. And I know there’s at least a weeks worth of bottled water around here! Shouldn’t be a problem. The shop on the other hand only has electric heat and just cold drink in the refrigerator!
:rofl: :rofl:

This also supplies power to the garage where my wife, god love her, parks her car. She was on board to get this fixed.
Truth be told I think she know that if she wants me to have any semblance of sanity I need to be able to go up to the shop! :D
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Box looks good Jeff! It'll be great when finished. :thumbsup: Too bad about the breaker, never thought those could ever go bad.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

OMG 200 amps in the shop . :worship: I have gas heat but only 40 amps into my shop. Every thing in on a "manual disconnect" (big plugs ) because don't have enough panel for all of it . :(( Oh well always warm . Glad you got it fixed fairly easily .
This also supplies power to the garage where my wife, god love her, parks her car. She was on board to get this fixed.
Truth be told I think she know that if she wants me to have any semblance of sanity I need to be able to go up to the shop! :D/quote]
You got to keep the :wife: happy . Are you sure that it is your sanity that she is worried about ,or is it more that with out shop time you will in the house invading her "personal time" :rofl:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

JSinMo, I can relate to working on the shop vs working in the shop. I was working in the shop late last night on the snow caster, first time in a while in the shop after dinner. Wood furnace fired up heated the shop to 70 degrees. This winter I want to run some piping for the air compressor to run air overhead. I picked up from CL all the piping I need and two new Craftsman hose reels. That will be better than having a hose on the floor to trip on. I enjoy projects making the shop better. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

Harry wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:19 am That will be better than having a hose on the floor to trip on. I enjoy projects making the shop better.
You ain't kidding there... Hose reels are probably the biggest improvement, along with cord reels. It's no effort at all to put the hoses and cords away when you just need to give them a little tug, and guide them back in. I'm at 5 or 6 cord reels now, and 2 hose, but there are 3 more hose reels and 1 more cord waiting to go in. Drop lights suplement the cord reels, and there are 9 or 10 of them. ( I know that seems excessive, but I'm spread across 2 buildings, with 2 floors each, and the barn is kinda long, and dark)

Post by JSinMO »

@Harry @Toolslinger im with you guys! My shop really isn’t big enough to need hard lines run for air but I need to keep my eye out for some reels! I missed a chance to get some out of an old garage that shut down.

@DavidBarkey That 200 amp breaker is the main for the everything on the property out side of the house. I have the actual sub panel in the shop at 60 amps which it more that enough for what I’m doing.
That breaker was there when we bought this place it had a damaged case then but was working fine then the other night it just went open on both poles. I think we’re lucky we didn’t have bigger issues with it.
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

JSinMo, 200 amp is what I have for my house with a 60 amp breaker to run my shop. I have no problem in the shop because I’m the only person using it. So I only use one piece of equipment at a time. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Harry wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:38 am JSinMo, 200 amp is what I have for my house with a 60 amp breaker to run my shop. I have no problem in the shop because I’m the only person using it. So I only use one piece of equipment at a time. :peace: Harry
I am in the same boat Harry . Just a one man band . The one major thing I have over most is we are on the gas main that feeds town north of us . So the whole house , garage , summer kitchen , and shop are gas heat/hot water and cooking . :thumbsup:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder