Messing around in the shop

Shoot the breeze here.
Eugen Canada

Re: Messing around in the shop

Post by Eugen »

A simple but effective solution, I like that! I've been missing messing around with the welder so this is as good as it gets for me now, reading your adventures, thanks Jeff! :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

The Mother of invention strikes again! Great job Jeff. I hope your post inspires others. :thumbsup: :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I should go ahead and start working on the brush hog. The blade are stuck and the deck need to be patched in a couple spots.
IMG_4369.jpeg
But I just don’t feel like it! Let’s start on something else.
I’m going to try and fabricobble a carry all from some stuff I have laying around and a few pallets I picked up the other day! The one on the 446 is a little small but still handy to have so I figured why not up size it for the other tractors!
IMG_4371.jpeg
I had this old 3point frame laying around. It’s pretty bent up but after beating on it for awhile I think it will work fine for this!
IMG_4370.jpeg
It’s crooked for sure but it just needs to hold the box. Now for the real ugly. I welded a couple of flanges onto the frame to bolt the box to. My goodness these are some of the worst chicken crap welds I’ve ever done! :109: :30: :124: I wish @Harry was closer, I’d go take some lessons from him!
IMG_4373.jpeg
After I halfa$& welded them in I need to spread them just a bit. I had a bottle jack on them and smacked them with a sledge hammer and the welds didn’t break so as disgusted as I am I’m calling it good :33: :43: :rofl:

As usual I’m working without a net, or a plan so I’m kinda figuring it out as I go and making changes and adjustments.
Not the smartest way to do but I kinda works for me. I’m not the smartest guy around anyway! :rofl:
I mocked up what will be the bed and next I’ll make a simple frame to support it.
IMG_4372.jpeg

Post by Harry »

JSinMo, I like your pics, they tell the story. :peace: Harry
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

I like where you're going, Jeff, I've been kinda halfa$$ed looking for or at building some sort of carryall for our compact tractor. I think it would be much handier than a trailer alot of times, especially in the woods. :highfive:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:

Post by JSinMO »

Timj wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:25 pm I like where you're going, Jeff, I've been kinda halfa$$ed looking for or at building some sort of carryall for our compact tractor. I think it would be much handier than a trailer alot of times, especially in the woods. :highfive:
I agree with you Tim, I think it’s handier in a lot of situations over a trailer. I like this project because it’s easily scalable to what ever tractor you want to use from a GT to as big as you want to go. And it’s not hard to find people that are throwing out used pallets, cant go wrong with free material! :D
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

JSinMO wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:32 am Not the smartest way to do but I kinda works for me. I’m not the smartest guy around anyway! :rofl:
You got most people beat :thumbsup:
Seriously none of my neighbors can change the oil on their riding lawn mowers :rofl:
Ingersoll 4016

Post by JSinMO »

MattA wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:52 pm
JSinMO wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:32 am Not the smartest way to do but I kinda works for me. I’m not the smartest guy around anyway! :rofl:

Seriously none of my neighbors can change the oil on their riding lawn mowers :rofl:
I don’t want to believe that Matt, but I know it’s true nowadays. It’s really a shame, although it does open a door if a fella wanted to do some side work out of his garage! I’m pretty far out in the country but a guy that lived in a suburban area could probably have a decent side hustle doing simple jobs that people either don’t know how to do or don’t care to learn.
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

JSinMO wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:31 pm
MattA wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:52 pm

I don’t want to believe that Matt, but I know it’s true nowadays. It’s really a shame, although it does open a door if a fella wanted to do some side work out of his garage! I’m pretty far out in the country but a guy that lived in a suburban area could probably have a decent side hustle doing simple jobs that people either don’t know how to do or don’t care to learn.
My neighbor killed his cub cadet a few years back because he didn't know to change the oil. He asked for help changing the oil on the new tractor but never brought it over. I think his father in law did it for him.

I fixed up another neighbors cub cadet because the muffler fell off and he ran it like that until the hood started to deform. I fixed the muffler, hood, installed new blades, changed the oil/oil filter and installed a new valve cover gasket. When I went for a test drive there was a very serious rattle. I found the engine flopping around when engaging forward or reverse. All four engine bolts were several turns loose. He was very appreciative that I took care of it. Months later the valve cover gasket began leaking on the exhaust again but he didn't want me to fix it. Later on something fell off the tractor and it wouldn't move. He didn't want help and paid a few hundred to have it picked up and fixed. This is the same neighbor whose car I had to jumpstart and charge in covid. Very nice guy otherwise...

Three other neighbors get their mowers picked up and serviced.

So I guess I'm the only one around that fixes stuff 🤷‍♂️
Ingersoll 4016

Post by Harry »

Matt, I have a neighbor across the street like that. He has a small yard and used a push mower but this summer he bought a new Cub Cadet. He couldn’t get it to crank over so he asked me to take a look at it. It was something simple. He is a short guy and his legs are short. He had to push the brake pedal down to engage a safety switch. His legs was short so he had to push harder to engage the switch. I think he was embarrassed about it being something so simple. He had a problem with his snowblower. He told me he tried to change the belt but couldn’t get the old one off. Plus when he ran it I could always hear the engine hunting. A few weeks ago I saw a pickup take the blower away. He may of figured to get a plow service for his driveway which is very small, I’m not sure. :peace: Harry