Messing around in the shop

Shoot the breeze here.
Spike188 Canada

Re: Messing around in the shop

Post by Spike188 »

Overrun clutches are critical when going up a hill, stopping, and emmediatly rolling backward. The pto output shaft will instantly change rotation direction at roll back. I have seen pto shaft twist inside the transmission and it's not an easy fix.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Jeff, I enjoy your posts very much. Especially when you have pics with the narrative. :thumbsup: :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@Toolslinger That’s true, the sickle mower doesn’t have much inertia. It pretty much stops as soon as you stop the PTO. And three or so inches would probably keep it from binding, but to @Spike188 point I’ve been in a couple of sticky situations running without the overrunning clutch so I really hesitate to take it off. I can use this set up as is as long as I don’t raise the mower, which I can do if needed. I would just have to stop and clear the bar if it plugged up. So as of now I’m thinking the 2N will be the back up tractor and the Farmall M will be the primary for this cutter, if I can get the kinks worked out on its mounting.

@Harry Thank you for saying that. I really do appreciate it. I’ve tried to get into the habit of taking pictures as much as I can. I feel like it’s easier to explain what’s going on when you can add a picture to the text.

@propane1 thanks Noel! I knew there were some differences between the N series Fords and the Fergusons but I guess that wasn’t one of them!

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

I think the 8N Fords have a draft control lever on the top cover. My Ferguson does not have that. Not sure about the 9N or 2N.

Noel
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

Yep, the 8N has a lever that switches it between Draft, and Position. The 9N and 2N just have Draft I believe.

I don't believe ours has ever been switched off Position in the 50 years we've had it, including many years of plowing, where Draft shines apparently... I'm not sure my father even knew it was there.

I hadn't thought about this in the context of the current issue. With Draft there's no just lifting the bar a little, it's either all the way up, or down right?
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Toolslinger wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:13 am The 9N and 2N just have Draft I believe.

I hadn't thought about this in the context of the current issue. With Draft there's no just lifting the bar a little, it's either all the way up, or down right?
That’s right the 2N only has draft control, no position control. From what I have read the newer 8N hydraulic setup can be put on the older 2N and 9N. But until I stumble on to one this is what I’ll work with.

You can get some position control, you really have to get the top link set right and then move the quadrant control to just the right spot to get it to stop and hold where you want it. Honestly it seems very finicky and I certainly haven’t mastered it yet. It’s hard for me to duplicate the setting in real time and get the 3 point to the same spot every time.

Noel may have more of an informed opinion on this, he has more experience with his Ferguson.
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

They are finicky good for sure Jeff. My Ferguson is the same way. I’m not sure how the position control lever/valve works on a 8N. Does the 3 point still move up and down if it’s in the position setting or once in the position setting it locks the 3 point in what ever position it’s in and it won’t lift or lower, until back into the draft setting. I don’t know. If anybody has a Ford 8N tractor and knows how the draft/position valve works, please let us know.

Noel

Post by Toolslinger »

Can't say how the internals work...
The position setting doesn't lock the arms at a height. It sets a height, and the hydraulics simply maintain that. There's no down pressure in the system, so the arms can float up, but will drop back to the set height.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Toolslinger wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:05 am Can't say how the internals work...
The position setting doesn't lock the arms at a height. It sets a height, and the hydraulics simply maintain that. There's no down pressure in the system, so the arms can float up, but will drop back to the set height.
So for what you are saying ,if I uderstand you right . Draft control can be accomplished by a chain or cylinder stop ring to restrict depth and using float on our Case GTs .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by Toolslinger »

That would be more like position control. Very few tractors have any downforce on the 3pt. Our Case gear is kinda unique in that aspect.

Draft is an active system that senses the load on the implement from something like plowing. When you hit something harder, like say packed clay, or a rock, the system will raise the plow to decrease the load. Once past it, it would drop again until it hits a depth at which the plow is seeing the same load as before. Ground engaging equipment is the primary application. It keeps a steady load on your engine/drivetrain, rather than a fixed level of engagement.

Again, I've never used it myself, but that's my understanding.