The weather

Shoot the breeze here.
Eugen Canada

Re: The weather

Post by Eugen »

Pretty big storms here too Jeff. Great pictures of your tractors!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I absolutely love summertime, however I have to admit this last week has been hard to take.
Right now we’re at 102F with a heat index around 115F!
IMG_3998.jpeg
Thank goodness today’s supposed to be the last day of the heatwave! I’ll be glad to get back to “normal” summer!
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Been hot here the last few days. And. Hurricane Lee is headed our way. Isn’t that just great. Jumpins.
Not as bad as last years Fiona. But any wind is no good. But they don’t know for sure yet what’s gunna happen. Suppose to be here this weekend. Jumpins, was gunna say something else, we sure don’t want another one. Most of us here are still cleaning up from Fiona.
Sorry for the sorta rant. Just annoyed.

Noel
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

propane1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:35 pm Been hot here the last few days. And. Hurricane Lee is headed our way. Isn’t that just great. Jumpins.
Not as bad as last years Fiona. But any wind is no good. But they don’t know for sure yet what’s gunna happen. Suppose to be here this weekend. Jumpins, was gunna say something else, we sure don’t want another one. Most of us here are still cleaning up from Fiona.

Noel
So being from the Midwest, I have to ask what's considered hot in PEI? Some years back (more than I would like to admit) the drag race team I worked for was booked into London Motorsports Park in Ontario for their Fourth of July event. John Force got us the booking as he and Tony Pedregon were match racing as well since the 4th is an off week for the NHRA. So we get up at the motel room in the morning and switch on the TV to get the weather for the day and the high temp is in centigrade which meant nothing to us flatlanders. Stopped at the gas station for essentials on the way to the track and had to ask a local what the deal was with the temp number that we saw. His response? 28 is 82 and anything above 28 is hotter than F..... Still remember that analysis to this day.

Bob
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I’ve been watching the weather on hurricane lee and wondering where it was going. The other day I heard it was headed up the east coast to new england and I thought of you Noel. I hope it slows down in its path and goes out into the ocean. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Thanks for the heads up on the hurricane this weekend. Lots of rain for the past few days and for the next few days. Most of the rain went just north west of here but triggering multiple flood warnings this evening.
Ingersoll 4016
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

myerslawnandgarden wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:26 pm
propane1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:35 pm Been hot here the last few days. And. Hurricane Lee is headed our way. Isn’t that just great. Jumpins.

Noel
So being from the Midwest, I have to ask what's considered hot in PEI? Some years back (more than I would like to admit) the drag race team I worked for was booked into London Motorsports Park in Ontario for their Fourth of July event. John Force got us the booking as he and Tony Pedregon were match racing as well since the 4th is an off week for the NHRA. So we get up at the motel room in the morning and switch on the TV to get the weather for the day and the high temp is in centigrade which meant nothing to us flatlanders. Stopped at the gas station for essentials on the way to the track and had to ask a local what the deal was with the temp number that we saw. His response? 28 is 82 and anything above 28 is hotter than F..... Still remember that analysis to this day.

Bob
Hot here Bob is 85F-90F. And with the humidity, feels like 100F. That’s a hot day here.

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

myerslawnandgarden wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:26 pm

Noel

Bob
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I was at the same event . Back then I was living and working in Barrie Ont. I grew up around oval track racing and help build / repair weekly. As time went on guys started to get me to more and more street stuff . I got hocked up with Wayne Martin , he had the fastest pickup in N.A. for a time . Amoung other things ,I help build a 80s Malibu that is son Tim drove . They took me down to that event for the madian voyage for the Malibu . That was my first experiance with nitros . The half track burn outs were impressive to say the least . I still rember how the exhaust percution knocked the wind out of you when they whent past at full song . As for the temp , south central Ontario , it is nothing to see swings of -30C to +30C in a year and -40 to +40 are possible as well . Thats why you hear :canada: complain about the weather so often , just when you get use to one extream it starts going the other direction . :bla: :bla: :bla: :rofl:
Thanks for the memory Bob .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

myerslawnandgarden wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:26 pm His response? 28 is 82 and anything above 28 is hotter than F..... Still remember that analysis to this day.
Bob
Haha, Bob, this is funny and useful. Canada is not fully metric, it's a strange mix of metric and imperial. Growing up in Europe centigrade and the metric system were normal to me. But when I came to Canada I was very young and was fairly easy for me to adopt the imperial system. Construction and mechanical is all imperial and I can think in inches and fractions and feet as well as in meters and centimeters. The funniest mix to me is that weather is measured in Canada in Celsius but oven temperatures are in Fahrenheit. So I know exactly how to bake a bread or make a roast in Fahrenheit, but have no idea if you tell me it's 75F outside. :violin:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

I moved to Canada at 33 with little metric experience. Before the move it was frustrating having to purchase metric tools and wondering if the vehicle being worked on used metric, imperial, or both. I started out in a custom metal forming plant that worked in both metric and imperial, where 2.54 gave 3.14 a run for it's money.
image.png
This is a photo I refer to often when in doubt.

To add confusion to the mix, in hydraulic fittings, try British straight thread, Komatsu metric, JIC. Germany, France, and Japan machine builders all have a different standards.

The only conversion that I have not adjusted to is temperature. @myerslawnandgarden Bob, thanks for the 28=82 comparison. I don't know how that one slipped past me the past 34 years.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH