Hay! Lets make some hay.

You're cheating on your Case with another tractor! We want all the dirty details!
JSinMO United States of America

Re: Hay! Lets make some hay.

Post by JSinMO »

Hay season for us is officially done. Here’s a few parting shots of “cutting grass”.
IMG_4042.jpeg
The baler performed perfectly, never missed a knot! Which is saying something for a machine that basically came out of a fence row and was resurrected from the dead!

What’s a fella to do when he has over 160 bales on the ground and doesn’t have a bale accumulator or the energy or gumption to walk up and down the field to pick them up? Why hop on a Case GT of course! I kept having the feeling the 446 wanted in on haying so we went out to the field.
IMG_4047.jpeg
IMG_4045.jpeg
IMG_4046.jpeg
IMG_4050.jpeg
I was nice to putt around the field and gather them up. The Case worked flawlessly and it made it much easier to just pull up to a pile and load them up! But now there is a problem I got on it today and it will only idle I’ll post that in my 446 thread.

Son was a big help getting loaded up!
IMG_4048.jpeg
IMG_4051.jpeg
My :wife: even came out and helped scoop up the stragglers.
IMG_4055.jpeg
It was a long day but now the tarps are on and we’re ready for our buyer to come and load out!
IMG_4061.jpeg
Thanks for coming out with this haying season! :thumbsup:
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Nice tractors. Looks like fun. I'm amazed at how blue the sky is.
Ingersoll 4016
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

What a great day you must've had! Even Herbie got to play! Great pictures too! :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

That looks like a nice day out in the hay field! :thumbsup:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Nice picture's Jeff. Garden tractors sure are handy with a blade on the front to push stuff around.

Noel

Post by JSinMO »

propane1 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:16 pm Nice picture's Jeff. Garden tractors sure are handy with a blade on the front to push stuff around.

Noel
Yes I was really happy with 446! It’s the perfect size for our set up. And it made the work much easier. Sure saved us a lot of walking! Luckily the bales slid fine on the grass, no broken strings.

Post by JSinMO »

Well fellas it’s that time of year again. I’ve been busier than a……..(insert your pun here)! :giggle:

Getting equipment ready, making repairs, and working in the field on this years first cutting hay crop.
The hay is looking nice I’ve got it cut and raked and fingers crossed I’ll be making bales tomorrow!
I thought I’d share a few pictures of the going’s on around here.
Getting the mowers ready to hit the field.
Getting the mowers ready to hit the field.
Herbie the truck fired right up after sitting for quite awhile. It doesn’t want to idle very good though. Need a little more work.
Herbie the truck fired right up after sitting for quite awhile. It doesn’t want to idle very good though. Need a little more work.
Tractors, tractors everywhere!
Tractors, tractors everywhere!
IMG_5027.jpeg
One sad note. The old hay rake has breathed its last.
I believe I paid $50 for it when I got it. Every part of it was worn beyond belief but it still made a nice windrow. Not bad for a piece of equipment that is between 80 and 90 years old. Unfortunately it was in such bad shape it really didn’t make sense to try and rebuild it. I only found one place in the US that had tires for it, and they were very proud of them. They cost much more than the old rake is worth. So we been running on borrowed time with a lot of grease some mechanics wire and a few prayers!

This is a ground driven unit but the tires are so rotten it just skids along instead of turning so I made a hasty repair to get it rolling again
IMG_5030.jpeg
I’m willing to bet this is the only time you will ever see snow chains on a hay rake! :rofl: But it worked like a charm gave it plenty of traction. One of the bars finally broke so my 4 bar rake became a 3 bar rake. :12: :109: The poor old thing did a fine final raking job even though the tires are all but gone and it’s missing a bar.
IMG_5028.jpeg
IMG_5029.jpeg
IMG_5032.jpeg
IMG_5033.jpeg
I really do love working with the old stuff but it’s time to retire this one. Who know how many thousands of acres it’s been across in its life or how many cows and horses it helped feed.
So now I’m putting feelers out for new old rake to bring home.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Now it is "Lawn Art " :65:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Can you weld it up or is it just time to retire the old hay rake?
Ingersoll 4016

Post by JSinMO »

MattA wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:30 am Can you weld it up or is it just time to retire the old hay rake?
Its time to retire it. There are a lot of moving parts on one of these. Most of the bushings for each part has worn away years ago. Clearances you would normally measure in thousandths of an inch are now able to be measured in just inches!

first cutting is in the books. We made quite a bit of hay.
There is nothing like the sweet smell of freshly baled hay.
IMG_4726.jpeg
Son put in some good work. I’m proud of him, he threw a lot of bales this year. He also got some seat time pushing bales together on the 446. He was have fun running the tractor but he shut it off and then it wouldn’t restart.
IMG_5040.jpeg
I haven’t had time to look at other than to make sure it still had gas in. I put a chain on it and pulled out of the field and back to the shop well after dark last night. Hopefully it’s no big deal.