Case/Davis trencher backhoe

Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles. If you can drive it and it has an engine but it's not a tractor, it fits here.
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Case/Davis trencher backhoe

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:42 am One of the reasons for the wash was to inspect the drive, axles, and all hydraulic lines. They all seem weathered but may be functional. If I were to guess, judging by the state of the clean oil, seals and overall interior state of the cylinders, I'd say the device was working hydraulically fine when the engine blew. Then it sat for years.

Interesting fact about this device is that the hydraulic tank is actually integral part of the frame. The hydraulic pump is dual, and has an 11/16 shaft, unfortunately not matching the lovejoy coupler I already have which is 3/4. The local store does not carry an 11/16 coupler. I was tempted to just install the 15hp engine I have for testing and see if it's enough to crawl. This engine is new, has 1" shaft, and flex coupling to a 3/4" shaft pump.
Get a 5/8" coupler and bore it out . I have a broaching kit to deal with the key way .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:08 pm Get a 5/8" coupler and bore it out . I have a broaching kit to deal with the key way .
That's exactly what I was thinking about this morning and was going to ask you if you have broaching tools. Of course you have :rofl: thanks Dave!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Job needed me in the city yesterday so I stopped by Princess Auto with plans. Well, plans did not go as planned. :headbash: The PA website showed no L-099 5/8 flex coupler in stock, but it showed two 1/2 units. I figured it's fine, as long as it's smaller than the 11/16 pump shaft, I'll just make the hole to size and fit the pump shaft. When I get there, none in stock. Lots of 3/4 and larger in stock though. I asked the folks there and they said, sorry, someone must've walked out with them in the pocket and we didn't know to update the stock on the website. They have it for online order though, if I pay the $20 shipping, which I'd like to avoid. Wish I had thought about that when I ordered something else and I did pay the shipping, last week. Double :headbash:

OK, fine. Now I'm thinking how bad and idea is it to come up with a bushing to fill the empty space between the 3/4 flex coupler I have and the 11/16 shaft.

While I was there I got the 2x 10' and 2x 8' of 3/8 hydraulic hose to use with the field replaceable fittings. Also had them make two short 1/4 hoses for the stabilizer cylinder on one side. Altogether nearly $200.

It turns out that getting the small backhoe operational just became really important. The township changed rules recently and suddenly we are required to come up with a lot grading plan. When the architect made the plans for the addition a year ago they inquired with the township and no lot grading plan was needed; and it's not something I can do myself either. Was quoted about 4600 for that, which hurts. But part of that is digging a 6ft deep 2ft wide hole to establish the water level. I'm not feeling very motivated to dig it manually, if only I had a backhoe.

And so the story goes..

P.S. Decide to hasten putting the 644 and 446 for sale. sniff sniff
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

I'm feeling for you @EugenThe Princess in Hamilton often shows 1 or 2 items in stock and the shelf is bare when I get there - it is frustrating.... :cuss: and about dealing with the township... :headbash: Last summer we got our permit for the septic system up at the property... Seems when we were doing all the paperwork for the building permits nobody mentioned they needed a septic permit before they would approve and release the building permits... So at the last minute I had to dig 3 test pits so the inspector could see soil conditions and check the percolation rate - I thought great, I've got my Case 530CK backhoe there, It hasn't done anything since we had it trucked up north the previous winter... finally went to use it and found all the backhoe levers had rusted solid on their common pivot shaft - ended up renting a mini excavator from a neighbour to do the test pits. This year responsibility for septic system inspections has changed from the health dept to the building department... Can't wait to speak to the township offices and find out how much of the work we are going to have to repeat... :headbash:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Gerry, hopefully you don't have to repeat any work. Bureaucracy may be different in different townships, but the result is the same. :|

I might need to rent a mini-excavator from Home Depot. Figures eh? Two backhoes in the yard and I'm going to rent one. :pullhair: kinda laughable too, if I only had a little more sense of humour. :giggle:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

@Eugen you could always rent one of the little Kubota backhoes from Home Depot... - they have a dig depth of 6'2" - do a little comparison post on what it's like to work with a "new" diesel subcompact LBH
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Eugen I have a L-099 set you can have . one half is 9/16" and the other is 1 1/8" bore . both have a little ware from spider failure but still usable for testing .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@DavidBarkey Fastenal does not sell to me. :( it's ok, I'll figure something out. I don't want to bore the 9/16 one you have, but thank you for the offer! I appreciate it. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@Eugen @RoamingGnome I feel frustrated for you guys having to deal with red tape! I know it’s for a good reason but man it’s aggravating. I’m lucky to live in an unincorporated area with very few restrictions, but it can have its downside too. Someone could build something dangerous or unsanitary without much recourse.

I don’t know what your timeframe is Eugen, but I’m hoping you can have a backhoe up and running so you don’t have to rent one.