4000 series tires purchase

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
thebuildist United States of America

Re: 4000 series tires purchase

Post by thebuildist »

At this point I have to decide whether to proceed with the inner tube or to go the tubeless route. I will say that I'm now a little nervous about spinning the rim inside the tire under heavy torque. It really seems like very little friction between the rim and the bead, especially with the glycol in there lubricating everything.

And because the liquid isn't compressible, I think the pressure in the tire may not even be pushing outward on the bead as effectively as if it were full of air. I'm not at all certain, but that's the way it seems in my head.

So if I go the tube route, at least the bead and rim can be dry, with the liquid captured inside the tube.

That seems like it would lessen the chance of spinning a bead loose under heavy pulling.

And if I DO go with a tube, do I go ahead and put a tube in the in first tire that's already done, to head off problems down the road?

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

We use 2x4s and 4x4 blocks, a trick at our shop. Placing short blocks stacked on the floor and laying the sidewall of the tire on them and then step on the rim in the middle. Your weight will help seat the first bead. Then flip the tire and wheel over and place sidewall on blocks again and lightly step on wheel. Now you can seat that second bead with air. You could liquid fill at this point too. Sometimes our shop gets bias tires and they come banded on a pallet and are distorted/ crushed. We take blocks and spread the tire wide apart and place 2x4 blocks in between the bead to hold it open. Place in the sun for a bit and the wheel will open up. Helps with seating the bead when installing on the wheel. Nothing beats a cheetah bead blaster. Has made life much easier on the frustration level when your at the tire machine.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

When I loaded my backhoe tires I used an rv water pump. Mine are loaded with rv antifreeze. Laid them down and periodically stopped filling and burped the air out. Worked amazing easy. Those tires I have are about dry rotted and want to replace them soon. I have my pump ready when the time comes.

JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I feel your pain Bob! Sorry you had a bad go of it, but at least it’s a 50% success rate!
I would vote for the tube in the tire and leave the other one that already filled alone. Might make for a good test. besides you already did the work and if it ain’t broke why fix it!

There are some good videos on YouTube on setting up a pump for filling tubes. I’ve alway seen tires with liquid ballast use tubes. But they were filled with calcium chloride, so much more corrosive.

Post by thebuildist »

Jancoe wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:39 pm We use 2x4s and 4x4 blocks, a trick at our shop. Placing short blocks stacked on the floor and laying the sidewall of the tire on them and then step on the rim in the middle. Your weight will help seat the first bead. Then flip the tire and wheel over and place sidewall on blocks again and lightly step on wheel. Now you can seat that second bead with air. You could liquid fill at this point too. Sometimes our shop gets bias tires and they come banded on a pallet and are distorted/ crushed. We take blocks and spread the tire wide apart and place 2x4 blocks in between the bead to hold it open. Place in the sun for a bit and the wheel will open up. Helps with seating the bead when installing on the wheel. Nothing beats a cheetah bead blaster. Has made life much easier on the frustration level when your at the tire machine.

That's precisely the method I was following, but that rubber ring just wouldn't get any traction on the rim. If I had it to do over again, I'd have put the ratchet strap around the middle like Eugen suggested. But I didn't think of it. And at this point I don't want to risk another $65 worth of antifreeze. So I'm going to wait for my inner tube and pump to arrive, and just pump it in there. Slower, but safe and secure.

Bob
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

I would put a tube in the other tire too. Once you perfect the filling system on the one have to do yet. It won’t be so bad to do the other. That’s my opinion.

Noel
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

I would tube the other tire as well rather than have another uncontrolled loss of fluid.
When I was doing a little research on filling tubes there was talk about an air/water valve to aid in filling them and getting the air out. My tire guy quoted me $150 to do mine, tubes, Rim Guard, and labor. I think I'll let him do it. :hm:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:

Post by thebuildist »

Timj wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:35 pm I would tube the other tire as well rather than have another uncontrolled loss of fluid.
When I was doing a little research on filling tubes there was talk about an air/water valve to aid in filling them and getting the air out. My tire guy quoted me $150 to do mine, tubes, Rim Guard, and labor. I think I'll let him do it. :hm:
That's really cheap if you mean both tires. I've just spent $63 after tax on the juice for a single tire. And the tubes are $15 each, and that's buying a slightly undersized tube. The full-sized tubes are $24 each.

Bob
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

thebuildist wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:12 pm
Timj wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:35 pm I would tube the other tire as well rather than have another uncontrolled loss of fluid.
That's really cheap if you mean both tires. I've just spent $63 after tax on the juice for a single tire. And the tubes are $15 each, and that's buying a slightly undersized tube. The full-sized tubes are $24 each.

Bob
yes that was for the pair, the guy was thinking it was kind of a lot for a garden tractor and was trying to get me to go without tubes but the side walls don't look that good on the 448, they hold air but i don't know for how long. I looked at tubes with the right valves for loading on line and they were in the $30 some dollar range and was going to do the RV antifreeze myself but it has really went up in price. My tire outfit does a ton of AG work so I'm guessing they buy a lot of Rim Guard, the service guys always have big totes of it on their trucks.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

When using tubes with liquid . Suck All the air out of the tube after seating the beads . It make filling easier . Fill tires laying down . Can be done with pump or gravity pail. With the fill hose/fitting threaded on to valve burp the air from between the tire and tube through the valve stem hole in the rim . When tube is full , put in valve core and add air to about 6 psi . Dry valve area and cap with good cap , not cheap plastic cap. Use crane or BDG to stand up wheels and mount on tractor .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder