Case/Davis trencher backhoe

Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles. If you can drive it and it has an engine but it's not a tractor, it fits here.
Eugen Canada

Re: Case/Davis trencher backhoe

Post by Eugen »

RoamingGnome wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:36 am Congrats on getting the re-usable fittings to work @Eugen Looks Great! - It was my experience that leaving a tiny gap (1mm - 1/16") between the end of the hose and the inside of the fitting where it bottoms out gives the hose a little room to expand when the insert is being screwed in and some lube on the inner fitting can help too...
Thanks for the tip Gerry, I will do that on the next one. I intend to try and hook the two hoses to the tiller maybe to test them on some pressure. I didn't mount the other 3 fittings on these two hoses yet because I'm playing with the idea of cleaning them up using electrolysis.
Last edited by Eugen on Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Eugen wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:53 am
RoamingGnome wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:36 am Congrats on getting the re-usable fittings to work @Eugen Looks Great! - It was my experience that leaving a tiny gap (1mm - 1/16") between the end of the hose and the inside of the fitting where it bottoms out gives the hose a little room to expand when the insert is being screwed in and some lube on the inner fitting can help too...
Thanks for the tip Gerry, I will do that on the next one. I intend to try and hook the two hoses to the tiller maybe to test them on some pressure. I didn't mount the other 3 fittings on these two hoses yet because I'm playing with the idea of cleaning them up using electro-hydrolysis.
Then paint or nick plating for rust prevention?

:cheers:
Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Hehe @Gordy , I'm not setup for nickel plating, that's hard. But zinc plating is quite easy and I'm setup for that. That's something I've been experimenting with. The only good source of zinc for me was to buy a zinc strap roll from home depot a couple of years ago. Then it cost close to $40, now it's more like $50. They use that as moss control on roofs. Just like electrolysis, you need a good voltage source, an old computer power supply can be used. For the bath solution I use water and some TSP or another type of soda. It's good to add a little detergent agent so that the plating is smooth. If there's interest, I once found this old paper that helped me. Then you hook the donor zinc piece in the bath, on the positive/anode wire of the power source, and the piece you need plated on the negative/cathode wire, in the bath. It's nice to have a variable power source though. Too much current leads to rough plating, as it goes too fast. I've successfully done copper, silver, and zinc plating. Once I silver plated the internals of the carburetor of my first boat. :D The guy I sold the boat to did not believe me. :rofl:

Anyway, you got me to ramble... :109:
Last edited by Eugen on Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by Gordy »

Good ramble, but confused which gets hooked to the positive lead in the bath ;) Since lead is out of favor for tire balancing, aren't the new weights made of zinc? I have some and can get more of them if they would work ;)

Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Positive of battery/power source is also called anode. Always you put the metal that donates on positive. The part that you want to plate always goes on the cathode, or the negative of the battery or voltage source. No idea if the new tire weights are made of zinc. Cadmium is also used for protection, but hey, where do I find cadmium?!

Here's the blurb from the article that helped me. :violin:
A. Zinc and Cadmium
Zinc and cadmium are generally plated on iron and steel substrates. These metals are primarily as a protection against corrosion because they provide a sacrificial coating, thus providing galvanic protection to exposed surfaces. As long as the coating of zinc or cadmium remains on the part it will tend to corrode prior to the ferrous substrate. Corrosion products of zinc tend to be white and frequently form a crust like structure. Cadmium, on the other hand, does not form crust like corrosion products.

Cadmium is used extensively in military and aircraft applications where it shows excellent effectiveness in a marine environment (high humidity and salt content). Recent federal regulations have virtually prohibited the use of cadmium for other applications due to the toxicity of the metal in industrial waste discharges.

Zinc is the most commonly plated metal for protecting iron and steel against corrosion. It is used extensively for nuts, bolts, screws, washers, springs, castings, and stamping. Zinc is also much less costly than is cadmium.

Both zinc and cadmium have a white or bluish-white color. In the case of both metals, the use of addition agents in the plating bath will provide an extremely bright deposit that resembles chromium in appearance.

Acid, alkaline, or cyanide baths can be used for plating these metals. Acid baths are used where effluent treatment is of prime concern and where a leveled deposit is desired. Alkaline and cyanide baths are used where throwing power is of prime importance. The use of an alkaline or low-cyanide bath has the added advantage of lower waste treatment costs.

Typical bath formulations are as follows.

1. Zinc Plating Baths

Acid Formulation
Zinc sulfate 120 g/liter
Potassium chloride 55 g/liter
Boric acid 5 g/liter
Addition agent 1/2-2% by volume
pH 3.5-4.2
Temperature 18-30°C
Cathode current density 50-80 A/ft2 (540-864 A/m2)

Alkaline Formulation
Zinc metal 15 g/liter
Sodium hydroxide 90 g/liter
Sodium carbonate 40 g/liter
Addition agent 1/4-1/2% by volume
Temperature 25-30°C
Cathode current density 5-80 A/ft2 (54-864 A/m2)
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by Gordy »

Thank You, This bit left me confused in the first thread. "Then you hook the donor zinc piece in the bath, on the positive lead of the power source, and the piece you need plated on the positive lead in the bath." ;)

Gordy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Eugen I will get you to set me up a plating station this summer .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Gordy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:29 pm Thank You, This bit left me confused in the first thread. "Then you hook the donor zinc piece in the bath, on the positive lead of the power source, and the piece you need plated on the positive lead in the bath." ;)

Gordy
Oops, sorry, that was just fingers too fast on the keyboard. I fixed it. :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:31 pm @Eugen I will get you to set me up a plating station this summer .
For sure! What are you going to plate? :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:37 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:31 pm @Eugen I will get you to set me up a plating station this summer .
For sure! What are you going to plate? :D
With doing restorations on these old machines it would nice to replate some of the small parts and hard to hardware . Just simple zink.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder