The weather

Shoot the breeze here.
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: The weather

Post by DavidBarkey »

We got 4-6" snow here . went out early to finish the 446 blower tractor chute rotator so I could try it out . First won't start , fuel line dry . I had had it off and for got to prime it . Then only running on one cylinder , one plug fowled ?? Got it running on both and tried blowing snow . Ran fine for a bit then wouldn't run unless part choke , then cleared up . Clutch is not staying locked in . Can not steer it unless caster is up , but lots of rear traction. New door skins rattle . Chute rotator works but is too slow for my liking . Getting a lot of snow spray out the side of the chute . Ended up putting back in the shop and firing up Frankie to finish the job .
But now I have a list of thing to work on before the next snow fall .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:35 am We got 4-6" snow here . went out early to finish the 446 blower tractor chute rotator so I could try it out . First won't start , fuel line dry . I had had it off and for got to prime it . Then only running on one cylinder , one plug fowled ?? Got it running on both and tried blowing snow . Ran fine for a bit then wouldn't run unless part choke , then cleared up . Clutch is not staying locked in . Can not steer it unless caster is up , but lots of rear traction. New door skins rattle . Chute rotator works but is too slow for my liking . Getting a lot of snow spray out the side of the chute . Ended up putting back in the shop and firing up Frankie to finish the job .
Dave, this reminds me of how things usually work for me. Was even thinking last night when I tested the 644, sure it works fine, but when you really use it you find out the truth and the little things that need some more attention. But you'll work out the bugs soon enough. The good part is that you have it all together and the main functions are there. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:35 am We got 4-6" snow here . went out early to finish the 446 blower tractor chute rotator so I could try it out . First won't start , fuel line dry . I had had it off and for got to prime it . Then only running on one cylinder , one plug fowled ?? Got it running on both and tried blowing snow . Ran fine for a bit then wouldn't run unless part choke , then cleared up . Clutch is not staying locked in . Can not steer it unless caster is up , but lots of rear traction. New door skins rattle . Chute rotator works but is too slow for my liking . Getting a lot of snow spray out the side of the chute . Ended up putting back in the shop and firing up Frankie to finish the job .
You and me both... we got about the same here in Hamilton, tapered off about 9:30pm last night and I decided it was time for Max to earn his snow wings...
Pushed Max out of the tent garage because the Onan smokes a bit on first start up (and the :wife: swears she can smell it inside the house)

Thought I'd back drag the blade across the front of the garage - there was 6" of heavy wet snow in the backyard... got about 8' and it stalled, tried to restart it and no clicky clicky, then played with the travel lever to see if it was out of it's "sweet spot" got it to start and sputter one more time and with one backfire it died again. (That probably had everyone in the neighbourhood rush to their windows) :headbash: We pulled off the blade, shovelled a path to the tent garage and pushed Max into a corner so he could have a "time-out" - and then I picked up the shovel and spent an hour and a half cleaning off the front sidewalk again...

Think it's time to start an actual post :writing: in the Case Colt Ingersoll Discussion topic to recap Max's adventures up to now... :pullhair:

Hang on to all your diagnostic prognostications until I dig a bit deeper and go through this in a logical, methodical way - figure out why it won't turn over, address the sloppy travel linkages and non functioning safety switches, and then on to the engine / carburettor issues...

Off to the Bat Cave! :spin: (er, um, tent garage... :lol: )
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

We've all been there Gerry, or at least I have last year, and had to do walk behind blower for the rest of the winter. This winter is my first that the 444 is running like crazy in full snow clearing. Used it last night, it starts right away, the auger doesn't slip, the wheels don't slip (weights and chains). When I hear that governor kick in as the going gets tough it's music to my ears.

My point is that you will work the bugs out of the tractor and when it works as it should it'll be a joy! Remember what I said. :cheers:

Gerry!
3879799B-821A-4009-9899-CF2AF54C772D.jpeg
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Both of my Cases don’t steer very well in the snow either Dave. Just the nature of the beasts maybe. And like yours, lots of rear traction. My 224 has knobby walk behind snowblower tires on the front, and the 446 has narrow 3 rib tires on the front. Can’t wait to see what you come up with for a fix on that problem Dave.

And strangely I don’t think my John Deere has that steering trouble, even with the slick turf tires on the front.

I wonder what these tires would be like. These are on my walk behind blower on my deck.

And I may as well give yas a panoramic picture of the tractors in the garage as of now. Gunna be playing musical tractors soon, then I’ll take another panoramic picture. :giggle: Some thing I just learned on the phone. :D

Kinda got carried away on this ramble.

Noel
Attachments
BDA0F5DD-3A38-45BA-A3B3-7C858EA8B00F.jpeg
EBA46693-8150-4A63-A63F-AA0B809EF766.jpeg
83BE3B70-1CA7-473D-BAEB-AE526CA77DD5.png
4F6294A4-5300-4E02-8F5D-A5A1CA4EECC6.png
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@propane1 Noel what I do in the summer is to hang a couple of suitcase weight off a snap lock bracket . works wounders . But that doesn't work with the caster on . Tires are too small to gain much by loading them . I am thinking of 2 steel donuts per wheel . Need to think on it some more . I have to sort out the engine and the clutch first .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Similar here with the amount of snow. Was going to fired up the 446 but decided to shovel it because I needed the exercise. Then shoveled again this morning from the 2” accumulation last night. If you don’t move it you lose it! :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Harry wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:06 pm Similar here with the amount of snow. Was going to fired up the 446 but decided to shovel it because I needed the exercise. Then shoveled again this morning from the 2” accumulation last night. If you don’t move it you lose it! :peace: Harry
That’s true Harry. I have a walk behind blower on my deck. But I shovel it mostly. For the exercise. Been shovelin snow since young. So I’d like to keep doing it. My father was shovelling snow into his early eighties. Up on the porch roof, at times. I’d like to get that far, but not on the porch roof. Was never good with heights. Dad didn’t seem to mind.

Noel
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

The 448 was on the battery charger on the overnight. The tractor had not been started for a month so it was given a shot of starter fluid. It took a several attempts and letting the battery recharge a bit before coming to life. The new scroll and rebuilt cutting edge really made a difference. I neglected to tilt the chute deflector up so had issues with not throwing as far as expected. M had finished videoing by the time the deflector angle was changed.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:48 pm @propane1 Noel what I do in the summer is to hang a couple of suitcase weight off a snap lock bracket . works wounders . But that doesn't work with the caster on . Tires are too small to gain much by loading them . I am thinking of 2 steel donuts per wheel . Need to think on it some more . I have to sort out the engine and the clutch first .
Good idea Dave. The front tires would get about 10 pounds or so if loaded, each. Not much, but a help.
So, once you mentioned about the steering today and I’ve seen posts about it before in places, I got to thinking motor placement. Motors on my two Cases are more rearward than my other garden tractors, I thought. So with measuring tape in hand I measured all the tractors. Both Cases, if you measured about the middle of the engine, then toward the front and line it up with the front axle, are about 9”, the ford, mf, jd tractors are about 2 to 3”. So engine weight is back much farther, just because of design and gives less weight from the engines on the front axle.
So extra weight up front should help.

Noel