The weather

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

Re: The weather

Post by JSinMO »

MattA wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:00 pm @JSinMO Home Depot and Lowes sell insulated outdoor faucet covers for about $5. They seem to work ok for my dad. He also added an indoor vent below the faucet to help keep it warm (the basement is finished).

Looks like rain with a high of 49F on Thursday, rain with a high of 58F here in Friday and Saturday's high is 27F. Hoping to work on my Berco before Saturday :thumbsup:
Good call. I forgot all about those covers. @Timj and @Gordy are probably right about them being ok. The actual air temp will be well within range of past cold spells. Just thought it might be better to be safe rather than sorry!

We usually don’t get that many below 0F days either I don’t know how you guys up north do it! That kind of cold over an extended period would drive me mad! :35:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

JSinMO wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:42 pm
MattA wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:00 pm @JSinMO Home Depot and Lowes sell insulated outdoor faucet covers for about $5. They seem to work ok for my dad. He also added an indoor vent below the faucet to help keep it warm (the basement is finished).

Looks like rain with a high of 49F on Thursday, rain with a high of 58F here in Friday and Saturday's high is 27F. Hoping to work on my Berco before Saturday :thumbsup:
Good call. I forgot all about those covers. @Timj and @Gordy are probably right about them being ok. The actual air temp will be well within range of past cold spells. Just thought it might be better to be safe rather than sorry!

We usually don’t get that many below 0F days either I don’t know how you guys up north do it! That kind of cold over an extended period would drive me mad! :35:
If I didn't have heat in the shop I would never leave the house all winter .
:hitsfan: they say this weekend for us too . They have a weather Blizzard warning out for southern Ontario and extreme snow amounts of over 2 feet for those that live down wind from Lake Huron and Georgian Bay (that is where Eugen and I live ) .
I have to make sure the gas cans are all full and the generator is ready to go .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

It's better to be prepared, piece of mind. I filled an extra jug of gas and got one of diesel. We got food. Let it snow.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:52 am
JSinMO wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:42 pm

If I didn't have heat in the shop I would never leave the house all winter .
:hitsfan: they say this weekend for us too . They have a weather Blizzard warning out for southern Ontario and extreme snow amounts of over 2 feet for those that live down wind from Lake Huron and Georgian Bay (that is where Eugen and I live ) .
I have to make sure the gas cans are all full and the generator is ready to go .
I’d be the same, if I didn’t have a heated garage, I’d be staying in the house. But I’d fix up a little space in the basement for a work shop.

Sounds like you guys are gunna get it for the weekend. Nothing to much happening here. Rain on Friday. But could change.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Don't know how but I haven't yet got to the point that cold or snow bothers me that much. I'm looking forward to spend some more time outside right now. Going to be off regular job until January. Lots of time with the kids and hopefully find some time to wrench as well. Cold be darned it won't stop me! :bee:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Eugen wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:58 am Don't know how but I haven't yet got to the point that cold or snow bothers me that much. I'm looking forward to spend some more time outside right now. Going to be off regular job until January. Lots of time with the kids and hopefully find some time to wrench as well. Cold be darned it won't stop me! :bee:
Lucky you, to be able to handle to cold Eugen. I don’t know how construction workers do it working on framing steel buildings in -25C or less temperatures.

Noel
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:58 am Don't know how but I haven't yet got to the point that cold or snow bothers me that much. I'm looking forward to spend some more time outside right now. Going to be off regular job until January. Lots of time with the kids and hopefully find some time to wrench as well. Cold be darned it won't stop me! :bee:
I used to be that way. But every year that goes by I dread the cold a little more. Seems things hurt more and takes me a lot longer to do things in the cold than it used to! Hopefully you’ll always like it. Winter is much more enjoyable that way! :D
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Maybe it's a case of what one doesn't like more. I don't think I would like having no winter and no snow. Would I like winter a little shorter? Yes. But I dislike being cold, that's for sure.

Someone with harsh winters experience once told me they had a saying "there's not bad weather, only bad clothes". I took that to heart and looked into it. Everyone has their own experience with this type of stuff, here's mine. I found that there's a big difference between man made materials and natural fabrics, and tested it on myself. I do not own any sweater made of polyester fleece, only wool. So, t-shirt, long sleeve thin cotton blouse, wool sweater, and down jacket is my tried and true method. I have a few down jackets of different thickness. Always long johns in the winter. Only hands and feet are where I get cold when I do stuff outside. Hands because I can't wear good mittens when wrenching. Now I'm looking for a pair of those boots for cold weather with inserts. Will throw out the inserts which are always made of some polyester felt. No matter what temperature they claim to be good for, my feet always freeze with those. I'm going to make my own out of fur. Let me tell you, nothing beats fur inserts, I have done it before. Got a few fur coats years ago from places like Goodwill and Value village in Toronto. These are places where people donate clothes and other people buy them. Fur and wool to me are like steel. Always good to have, best value. And this is why the cold doesn't bother me, even when my hands and feet are freezing, I'm not cold on the inside. But will fix the feet freezing soon. For the hands I might get a propane radiant heater. What can I say, I love being out and about and doing things, hope to not stop later on in life. And this is my ramble for cold weather. :violin: :D

This is not to say that you guys don't dress properly for the weather, it's just that this works good enough for me so I thought I'd share. :giggle:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

image.png
I think this is the 2 feet of snow they said we might get .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:32 pm image.png
I think this is the 2 feet of snow they said we might get .
If that's all you get Frankie will make quick work of it.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace: