The weather

Shoot the breeze here.
propane1 Canada

Re: The weather

Post by propane1 »

2C and rain here today. No white Christmas for us. Most of the snow we got is gone. Long range forecast does not show much in the way of snow this week. But as we all know. That could change. Last I saw was 6C for this coming Saturday. Didn't look today. So could be changed. :106:

Noel. :D
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Ya. Had a look at weather long range forecast. No white Xmas here.

Noel :thumbsup:
Attachments
5736A6A0-CA14-45CC-AB09-90C0FBD4D65B.png
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Well I hope I am done clearing snow for the day . :phew: Started at 6:30 am 3 breaks and a minor repair finished at 2:30 pm . Sit catch my breath and then go down to the store for some :drink: We have a full foot of settled snow now .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Well fellas, listening to the local weather folks apparently were in for some extreme weather from Thursday to Sunday. According to them the sky is about to fall, cats and dogs will live together and the battle of Armageddon is about to begin!

As I try to look past the hype it appears I may need to take a few extra precautions. It must be rather serious, our governor has activated the Missouri National Guard troops ahead of this storm. No idea on snow fall yet but they are calling for blizzard like conditions with temperatures at 0F or below with high wind and wind chills around -30F. They are advising no travel from Thursday night through Saturday. We get snow and we get temps below 0F but this type of situation is kind of rare here. Working outside Thursday and Friday should be interesting.

I guess I better make sure the chicken coop is sealed up and put down some extra bedding. I’ve got a couple of frost proof faucets on the house that don’t have shut offs might try to get some straw bales to put over them. Not sure what else I need to do, got plenty of gas for the furnace and plenty of wood for the fireplaces.

I guess we’ll see what happens. That concludes today’s impending doom weather ramble!
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

JSinMO wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:38 pm Well fellas, listening to the local weather folks apparently were in for some extreme weather from Thursday to Sunday. According to them the sky is about to fall, cats and dogs will live together and the battle of Armageddon is about to begin!

As I try to look past the hype it appears I may need to take a few extra precautions. It must be rather serious, our governor has activated the Missouri National Guard troops ahead of this storm. No idea on snow fall yet but they are calling for blizzard like conditions with temperatures at 0F or below with high wind and wind chills around -30F. They are advising no travel from Thursday night through Saturday. We get snow and we get temps below 0F but this type of situation is kind of rare here. Working outside Thursday and Friday should be interesting.

I guess I better make sure the chicken coop is sealed up and put down some extra bedding. I’ve got a couple of frost proof faucets on the house that don’t have shut offs might try to get some straw bales to put over them. Not sure what else I need to do, got plenty of gas for the furnace and plenty of wood for the fireplaces.

I guess we’ll see what happens. That concludes today’s impending doom weather ramble!
They haven't been over hyping it here too much, but blizzard conditions are enough to get one's attention. Guess we'll see what happens.

As far as your wall hydrants, as long as the hoses are unhooked they should be fine.

:geek: Tim
:creeper: deck's on, blades sharp, let's go it's time to mow :48: :446cart:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@Timj We’ve never had a problem with our hydrants before in cold weather but they’re taking about a flash freeze on Thursday. I don’t recall that term being used before. Apparently the temperature is going to drop fast. Not sure if that’s a new hype term or not. I’ve got enough hay here to give some insulation on them but I thought maybe a few straw bales might be better, or maybe not necessary at all? :106: I figure it couldn’t hurt. I can use the straw around here later anyway. I’ll have to check with neighbors tomorrow and see if anybody has a few bales to get rid of. Looks like this will be a 48 to 72 hour event. So we just need to keep bad things from happening for a couple days! This time next week we’re supposed to be in 50sF
Last edited by JSinMO on Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

The frost proof faucets I installed on my house are at least 12" long inside the house. So the actual valve is 12" inside the house with a built in slope to drain to the outside. I have seen several -30f events with no issues.

:cheers:
Gordy
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

@JSinMO Home Depot and Lowes sell insulated outdoor faucet covers for about $5. They seem to work ok for my dad. He also added an indoor vent below the faucet to help keep it warm (the basement is finished).

Looks like rain with a high of 49F on Thursday, rain with a high of 58F here in Friday and Saturday's high is 27F. Hoping to work on my Berco before Saturday :thumbsup:
Ingersoll 4016
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

MattA wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:00 pm @JSinMO Home Depot and Lowes sell insulated outdoor faucet covers for about $5. They seem to work ok for my dad. He also added an indoor vent below the faucet to help keep it warm (the basement is finished).

Looks like rain with a high of 49F on Thursday, rain with a high of 58F here in Friday and Saturday's high is 27F. Hoping to work on my Berco before Saturday :thumbsup:
Sure rub it in ;) It made it up to -3f today, from -9f this morning, now at 9pm it is -13f :cuss:

Cheers,
Gordy
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Gordy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:12 pm
MattA wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:00 pm @JSinMO Home Depot and Lowes sell insulated outdoor faucet covers for about $5. They seem to work ok for my dad. He also added an indoor vent below the faucet to help keep it warm (the basement is finished).

Sure rub it in ;) It made it up to -3f today, from -9f this morning, now at 9pm it is -13f :cuss:

Cheers,
Gordy
Hope your staying warm. We don't get a lot of days below 0F here.
Ingersoll 4016