Case 644 loader repairs

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
propane1 Canada

Re: Case 644 loader repairs

Post by propane1 »

Question about the ignition switch Eugen. Is it a 3 position or 4 position switch. Off, run, start. Or off, run and accessories, run, start. ?

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

propane1 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:11 am Question about the ignition switch Eugen. Is it a 3 position or 4 position switch. Off, run, start. Or off, run and accessories, run, start. ?

Noel
Four. But the order is Accessories Off Start Run

From off you can go one to the left.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:59 pm Thanks guys! @JSinMO , I wish I was that fast, but no. For some reason the electrical is going quite slow. I'm making fresh wires and connectors all around. The freezing temps aren't helping either, the wires are stiff, fingers are numb lol. On the plus side, it's not windy. :D had to quit though earlier tonight, I got too cold. :109:

FD077456-7D74-4F6B-BF2D-CB2EC5A6583B.jpeg
I hear you, working in the cold makes everything go slower. But like you said at least it wasn’t windy :)) I’d say you’re making good progress even with frozen fingers! I want to continue on my outdoor projects but I’m struggling to find the motivation in cold weather. I’ve been kicking around the idea of a makeshift tent with a heater in it for stuff I have to do outdoors. How is your new heater working out?
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

It works nicely, but the tent is too big for it. Waiting for a longer exhaust tube, the one that came with it is too short at 2 feet. Want to run it in the tool shed. Everything tends to start rusting in that shed, hoping to improve that with some occasional heat. Whoever built the shed did not put any vapour barrier under the cement slab so I think a lot of humidity comes up from the floor. :headbash:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Eugen wrote:It works nicely, but the tent is too big for it. Waiting for a longer exhaust tube, the one that came with it is too short at 2 feet. Want to run it in the tool shed. Everything tends to start rusting in that shed, hoping to improve that with some occasional heat. Whoever built the shed did not put any vapour barrier under the cement slab so I think a lot of humidity comes up from the floor. :headbash:
Well that sounds like the new loaders first big job this spring. To scrape out all the gravel and put a vapor barrier down. Lol

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Jancoe wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:18 pm Well that sounds like the new loaders first big job this spring. To scrape out all the gravel and put a vapor barrier down. Lol

wish it was that easy Evan. But it's the small tool shed that's got no vapor barrier, and under 4 inches of concrete floor. It's the concrete that's letting humidity up in the shed.

The tent has both vapor barrier and a tarp, on top of which there is gravel. But there is theft around here :cuss: , so all tools go back to the locked and alarm equipped shed. They already broke into the shed once and stole tools. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:17 pm
Jancoe wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:18 pm Well that sounds like the new loaders first big job this spring. To scrape out all the gravel and put a vapor barrier down. Lol

wish it was that easy Evan. But it's the small tool shed that's got no vapor barrier, and under 4 inches of concrete floor. It's the concrete that's letting humidity up in the shed.

The tent has both vapor barrier and a tarp, on top of which there is gravel. But there is theft around here :cuss: , so all tools go back to the locked and alarm equipped shed. They already broke into the shed once and stole tools. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

I have no experience with this but I’m wondering if some type of concrete sealer would help your moisture problem? Is the floor sweating?

I’m sorry you had to deal with theft. It unfortunately happens everywhere. My wife thwarted two robbery attempts over the years. Once when we lived in town and once since we’ve been out here. She can think fast when she needs to! :hitsfan: :wife: we did loose a couple of items but could have been worse. After the second time the sheriff let us know they were arrested and went to prison on a lot of charges.

My son asked me a few years ago why I lock everything up, even lock cars inside of locked buildings. I told him if somebody wants to get in they will get in, but we’re not rolling out the red carpet for them. They’re gonna have to work for it!

Well there’s a crime ramble for you! :33:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:17 pm

There are concrete sealers that can be applied but need to be applied when warm out . That will help , but lack of ventilation is your biggest problem . The moister warms up during the day then condensate at night . The thing with concrete is that it is porress and will suck up moister from the ground which you have alot of there . Concrete is also bad for absorbing oil which can reduce the moister movement . But because that area is so damp moister in the air is alway going to be problem . So that brings us back to ventilation . A black stack vent like what is put on houses now is your best option . Accidentally sealing the floor and a tall roof vent will help .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@JSinMO whatever's made of steel and sits right on the concrete is usually wet/sweaty. Probably concrete sealer would help, but have been swamped this summer and could never find the time to empty the shed and do it. It would take a lot of work to empty it, it's full. I just installed a vent this Fall, as I suspected what Dave said. It seems to be a universal truth that water, cold, and thieves always try to get in. :D

Anywho, I was gone yesterday all day, to Toronto, and beat at night, no work on the 644. Funny, I jumped in the truck yesterday morning and within 20 seconds two new lights showed up on the board. A triangle with an exclamation sign and the letters VSA. And the truck pulls hard to the right, so to go straight I got to keep the steering wheel left 30 degrees. Oooh aaah! No way I was going back, so I quickly googled the VSA, turns out the front wheel must be out of alignment after replacing the outer tie end. I thought I measured the distance from the tie end to a fixed point, but apparently that measurement wasn't good enough, and I didn't bother to even try to check the alignment. Mental note to be more careful next time. But I drove carefully for 300 plus kilometers and got home safe. Will do the toe alignment probably tomorrow. It never ends, I tell you. :rolleyes:
Last edited by Eugen on Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

I have issues in my old farm buildings, we're high and dry sand country. They're vented well but not insulated. I have to really keep an eye on the metal stuff and keep oiled, like table saw, jointer, and bandsaw. Sweating from temperature change mainly.
:creeper: deck's on, blades sharp, let's go it's time to mow :48: :446cart: