Case 130 Parts Gathering and future Restoration

Discussions on restoring tractors.
oliver244 United States of America

Case 130 Parts Gathering and future Restoration

Post by oliver244 »

Well I'm slowly collecting parts to restore my Case 130. I had pressure washed it as high pressure as I could trying to remove the JD green paint, but too much remains to keep it in its work clothes. It will be a frame off restoration, but I'm not going to tear it down for a while yet. I have 2 Wheelhorse Suburban's and an ice cream maker to finish first. I've ordered a reproduction hood and muffler for it so far. I now realize I should have ordered a battery tray and will probable go back and do that. Otherwise its all there. The sheet metal is fairly straight, but its going to require a some body work to smooth a lot of rust pits.
I'll keep this a running thread as I gather parts, then move into restoration.

I currently have some questions.
1.I know the hydraulic pumps and motors on these are not "rebuildable". but should I plan on disassembling them and replacing O-rings and seals?
This one doesn't run, so I really don't know what shape their in. Since I'll have this tractor all apart just trying to figure out a plan of attack.

2. The current hoses used on the flexible hose connection to the front oil cooler look like red water radiator hose. They seep at the hose clamps, but it may just be the old hose. Is there a better type hose to use for this.

3. I've seem some pictures of a rear sleeve hitch on the Case 180 & 130 tractors. Are these factory or something shop built. Does anyone reproduce them? I'm not planning on truly working them, but think they look good at shows with attachments like their ready to go to work!

4. When doing restorations do any of you go through the transaxle to replace bearings, bushings etc. As a minimum I will replace transaxle gaskets and seals. While I've rebuilt Wheelhorse transmissions, I've never been into these Case transaxles. Is there anything I should look for that is a typical wear item. This old tractor did a lot of lawn and trailer duty for the PO's, I'm the 3rd owner)

5 Changing tractors, on my 180 when I stop and shift the H/L there is a "klunk" when I start moving. it doesn't do it after I've start stopped a 2nd time,, just right after a H?L change I haven't open the transaxle yet for a look see, but does this sound like a wear item someone is familiar with. It has had this "klunk" since I picked out of someone front yard art display. The transaxle seems to work OK otherwise. I just don't want to be damaging anything. Is this caused by a wear item that I also should be looking for on the 130?

6. Is this angled brace between the frame and transmission mounting plate on my 130 original. My 180 has a junk bugger weld repair in that area and I'm wondering if this would be an original or good way to fix it.
IMG_1898.JPG
My Case 180 is a show tractor that I'm keeping in its work clothes, with a little satin clear on some repair areas, and this Case 130 will get an engine rebuild, ross steering box rebuild, and frame off sandblast for shiny new paint someday in the future (So many projects).

I appreciate any restoration "repair areas" yall can tell me to be looking for, and gathering parts for.
Case 130 on trailer.JPG
case 130 rear side view.JPG
case tool box.JPG
IMG_1898.JPG
Doublet United States of America

Re: Case 130 Parts Gathering and future Restoration

Post by Doublet »

oliver244 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:07 am
I currently have some questions.

1.I know the hydraulic pumps and motors on these are not "rebuildable". but should I plan on disassembling them and replacing O-rings and seals?
This one doesn't run, so I really don't know what shape their in. Since I'll have this tractor all apart just trying to figure out a plan of attack.

2. The current hoses used on the flexible hose connection to the front oil cooler look like red water radiator hose. They seep at the hose clamps, but it may just be the old hose. Is there a better type hose to use for this.

(This needs to be high pressure hose) Can get it from most farm supply stores

3. I've seem some pictures of a rear sleeve hitch on the Case 180 & 130 tractors. Are these factory or something shop built. Does anyone reproduce them? I'm not planning on truly working them, but think they look good at shows with attachments like their ready to go to work!

Sleeve Hitches on the 180 tractors were Brinley. It is possible to find them but they command a pretty decent price. A good welder should be able to duplicate them without much problem.

4. When doing restorations do any of you go through the trans axle to replace bearings, bushings etc. As a minimum I will replace trans axle gaskets and seals. While I've rebuilt Wheel horse transmissions, I've never been into these Case trans axles. Is there anything I should look for that is a typical wear item. This old tractor did a lot of lawn and trailer duty for the PO's, I'm the 3rd owner)

Check for wear in the bolts in the rear-end. This and the axles are a weak point for the 180's. Axles are getting very hard to find. Replace bolts with Grade 8 bolts.

5 Changing tractors, on my 180 when I stop and shift the H/L there is a "klunk" when I start moving. it doesn't do it after I've start stopped a 2nd time,, just right after a H?L change I haven't open the transaxle yet for a look see, but does this sound like a wear item someone is familiar with. It has had this "klunk" since I picked out of someone front yard art display. The transaxle seems to work OK otherwise. I just don't want to be damaging anything. Is this caused by a wear item that I also should be looking for on the 130?

The bolts in the rear-end a one of the major problems. Bolts get worn or loose and something breaks.

6. Is this angled brace between the frame and transmission mounting plate on my 130 original. My 180 has a junk bugger weld repair in that area and I'm wondering if this would be an original or good way to fix it.
IMG_1898.JPG

I will post a good picture of rear of frame for you. There is very little differences in 130 and 180 frame but there are a few. The right footpad being one of them and the way grille is attached to front end. The larger front axle make it attach differently.

My Case 180 is a show tractor that I'm keeping in its work clothes, with a little satin clear on some repair areas, and this Case 130 will get an engine rebuild, ross steering box rebuild, and frame off sandblast for shiny new paint someday in the future (So many projects).

I appreciate any restoration "repair areas" yall can tell me to be looking for, and gathering parts for.
Case 130 on trailer.JPGcase 130 rear side view.JPGcase tool box.JPGIMG_1898.JPG
When I get a little more time I will send you some pictures that may help you.
Doublet (Terry)
Last edited by Doublet on Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It is all about the history of the tractors. "One tractor at a time"

Post by Doublet »

brinley.jpg
Sleeve Hitch
180 frame3.jpg
180 frame.jpg
180 frame3.jpg
rear1.jpg
frame1.jpg
Most if not all of the 180 frames have had some type of repair work done to them. It seems there must have been some terrible welders back then or something. The rear of the frames did not have much in the way of support.
Attachments
180 frame2.jpg

Post by Doublet »

Not very good pictures but this is all the reinforcement that was on a 130-180 frame. As long as everything is tight it is enough.
272937229_955317231787794_3581633698867107996_n.jpg
273684630_1024370974863223_6249573320433557333_n.jpg
273938651_1153161718791243_604031298731512587_n.jpg
273968033_4868947103141973_567384268875699184_n.jpg

texas us.JPG
Doublet (Terry)
metalguy United States of America

Post by metalguy »

Myself, I would at least see if it will run, and that will answer a lot of questions. I recently got a 130 from someone local to me who had done an older "resto" on it, and it had been sitting for probably 10 years or more, with gas in the tank. Unfortunately, I only talked to the owner once, and he passed away that night. I ended up buying it from his widow, and she knew nothing about the tractor, unfortunately. I replaced the fuel line, cleaned up the tank, and fuel pump, checked the oil, and cleaned the carb. It started, and everything works. I have done this with a few old kohlers, after checking that they turn freely, and oiling the cylinder to prevent scoring. The good thing about this approach is that you know what you have before you start a compete teardown. (Hydraulics, engine condition, trans, etc) The good thing is that the transaxles seem very robust, as is the hydraulic system in general. Just an idea before you tear it down. ---------Metalguy
metalguy United States of America

Post by metalguy »

Here are a few pics of the one I picked up. Hopefully it will be a little inspiration! They are very cool little tractors.
Attachments
20220826_162927.jpg
20220826_162847.jpg
20220804_174540.jpg
20220629_182948.jpg
20220629_182130.jpg
20220629_163111.jpg