Page 1 of 1

good tractor seat

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:21 am
by TLD89
I am looking for advise on a good tractor seat for a 4020 that will hold up. The original seat lasted years the one I purchased for 75.00 three years ago already begin splitting. The tractor is not use as much, only for tilling, plowing snow log splitting now and then. We have a zero turn for gutting grass.

TLD89

Re: good tractor seat

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:15 am
by Doublet
That's the problem with most stuff anymore. Lower quality than even original equipment. Normally JD stuff has decent quality OEM but you pay for it. It has gotten to where you have to replace things in two or three years. They have lowered the quality of things ( too many cheap imports) but prices keep going up. That is other than salaries.

I have bought things from Steiner tractor with fair results. You just have to try to find a quality seat made in Canada or United States. Getting harder to do.

Doublet (Terry)

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:23 pm
by DavidBarkey
Have recovered with marine vinyl. Heavy duty and is made for sun exposure .

Dave

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:05 pm
by propane1
That is a trouble for sure. Seats don’t last. And the cheap seats are expensive. I had one recoverd many years ago by a shop, fella said it was snow moblie seat material. ? Any way it’s held up good. I’ve often thought just to take all the material off the seats. Clean up the metal pan and paint it. Then put it back on the tractor. Easy to dry off and use. But could be cold. Could use a heated seat cover on it thou. Having 10 plus tractors it’s always a problem with seats.

Noel.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:48 am
by TLD89
Noel, not a bad ideal about stripping old seat and paint. Always appreciate more thinks to put on my list of things to do this time of year.

TLD89

Propane57 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:05 pm That is a trouble for sure. Seats don’t last. And the cheap seats are expensive. I had one recoverd many years ago by a shop, fella said it was snow moblie seat material. ? Any way it’s held up good. I’ve often thought just to take all the material off the seats. Clean up the metal pan and paint it. Then put it back on the tractor. Easy to dry off and use. But could be cold. Could use a heated seat cover on it thou. Having 10 plus tractors it’s always a problem with seats.

Noel.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:47 am
by Doublet
TLD89 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:48 am Noel, not a bad ideal about stripping old seat and paint. Always appreciate more thinks to put on my list of things to do this time of year.
TLD89
Propane57 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:05 pm That is a trouble for sure. Seats don’t last. And the cheap seats are expensive. I had one recoverd many years ago by a shop, fella said it was snow moblie seat material. ? Any way it’s held up good. I’ve often thought just to take all the material off the seats. Clean up the metal pan and paint it. Then put it back on the tractor. Easy to dry off and use. But could be cold. Could use a heated seat cover on it thou. Having 10 plus tractors it’s always a problem with seats.

Noel.
Some of my best liked tractors have metal seats. Carry a towel with me where ever I go! :78:
va.jpg
180 dash.jpg
Doublet (Terry)

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:03 pm
by Eugen
Beautiful tractor Terry!

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:39 pm
by thebuildist
If I had to buy a seat today, I'd probably order one of these: https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Bl ... 1-3546.axd

They have a cheaper one that may be "ok", but this one having the steel pan should be decent. They also have it in "low back" but I like the "high back".

Bob

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:48 am
by TLD89
Make sure when ordering from Surplus Center you order the correct item. You will have to pay full shipping cost $$$$ from ups or usps if not. (dealing with customer service not friendly) Most companies have a return slip with either free or reduced shipping cost on exchange items.

TLD89

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:36 pm
by Harry
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_we ... CIMAYOBEHR

How about a seat cover?

Keep the Peace
Harry

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:37 pm
by Seabee
Seat covers have never impressed me. I used to ride an "M" international tractor that had a seat cover on it years ago and still don't like what I see.

If all you want to do is cover it, a cover should work. If you want comfort w/o it slipping and sliding, buy a seat.

Most seats I don't like either.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:50 pm
by Toolslinger
That kinda depends on the seat. The steel pan seat on the 8N is surprisingly comfortable as is. Until it get's too hot from the sun, or ice cold in the winter... The fitted cover/cushion really doesn't move around on me at all.