good tractor seat

Discussions on restoring tractors.
TLD89 United States of America

good tractor seat

Post by TLD89 »

I am looking for advise on a good tractor seat for a 4020 that will hold up. The original seat lasted years the one I purchased for 75.00 three years ago already begin splitting. The tractor is not use as much, only for tilling, plowing snow log splitting now and then. We have a zero turn for gutting grass.

TLD89
Doublet United States of America

Re: good tractor seat

Post by Doublet »

That's the problem with most stuff anymore. Lower quality than even original equipment. Normally JD stuff has decent quality OEM but you pay for it. It has gotten to where you have to replace things in two or three years. They have lowered the quality of things ( too many cheap imports) but prices keep going up. That is other than salaries.

I have bought things from Steiner tractor with fair results. You just have to try to find a quality seat made in Canada or United States. Getting harder to do.

Doublet (Terry)
"It is all about the history of the tractors. "One tractor at a time"
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Have recovered with marine vinyl. Heavy duty and is made for sun exposure .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

That is a trouble for sure. Seats don’t last. And the cheap seats are expensive. I had one recoverd many years ago by a shop, fella said it was snow moblie seat material. ? Any way it’s held up good. I’ve often thought just to take all the material off the seats. Clean up the metal pan and paint it. Then put it back on the tractor. Easy to dry off and use. But could be cold. Could use a heated seat cover on it thou. Having 10 plus tractors it’s always a problem with seats.

Noel.

Post by TLD89 »

Noel, not a bad ideal about stripping old seat and paint. Always appreciate more thinks to put on my list of things to do this time of year.

TLD89

Propane57 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:05 pm That is a trouble for sure. Seats don’t last. And the cheap seats are expensive. I had one recoverd many years ago by a shop, fella said it was snow moblie seat material. ? Any way it’s held up good. I’ve often thought just to take all the material off the seats. Clean up the metal pan and paint it. Then put it back on the tractor. Easy to dry off and use. But could be cold. Could use a heated seat cover on it thou. Having 10 plus tractors it’s always a problem with seats.

Noel.
Doublet United States of America

Post by Doublet »

TLD89 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:48 am Noel, not a bad ideal about stripping old seat and paint. Always appreciate more thinks to put on my list of things to do this time of year.
TLD89
Propane57 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:05 pm That is a trouble for sure. Seats don’t last. And the cheap seats are expensive. I had one recoverd many years ago by a shop, fella said it was snow moblie seat material. ? Any way it’s held up good. I’ve often thought just to take all the material off the seats. Clean up the metal pan and paint it. Then put it back on the tractor. Easy to dry off and use. But could be cold. Could use a heated seat cover on it thou. Having 10 plus tractors it’s always a problem with seats.

Noel.
Some of my best liked tractors have metal seats. Carry a towel with me where ever I go! :78:
va.jpg
180 dash.jpg
Doublet (Terry)
"It is all about the history of the tractors. "One tractor at a time"
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Beautiful tractor Terry!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

If I had to buy a seat today, I'd probably order one of these: https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Bl ... 1-3546.axd

They have a cheaper one that may be "ok", but this one having the steel pan should be decent. They also have it in "low back" but I like the "high back".

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"

Post by TLD89 »

Make sure when ordering from Surplus Center you order the correct item. You will have to pay full shipping cost $$$$ from ups or usps if not. (dealing with customer service not friendly) Most companies have a return slip with either free or reduced shipping cost on exchange items.

TLD89
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_we ... CIMAYOBEHR

How about a seat cover?

Keep the Peace
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226