new full fenders
20220120_113658.jpg
shaft support collar for removable steering wheel
20220120_113532.jpg
my version of control linkage
20220120_113510.jpg
rebuilt steering gears and linkage with hymens
underside all nice and clean .
all hydro resealed to hopefully stay that way.

Dave

Re: 446 blower tractor project

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:00 am
by Eugen
Coming along very nicely! Impressive work Dave! :worship:

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:25 am
by Timj
Coming along nicely :thumbsup:
:geek: Tim

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:15 am
by Chad
Looks great so far Dave!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:45 pm
by DavidBarkey
20220121_092548.jpg
Easy outside access to fuel tank for refilling
20220121_142216.jpg
Battery under seat makes room under hood for cab heater .
20220121_092450.jpg
Do not remove pin before flight .
20220121_092520.jpg
Big fenders will make it a little tight to get in and out of . I don't have a good factory steering wheel . I have a cross bolt wheel off something , so delving back into my race car days I made it removable to make it easier to get in and out of .

Dave

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:21 pm
by DavidBarkey
Getting a little further along .
20220126_150627.jpg
Using exhaust studs glued in place (bottom hole are through to oil gallery) instead of the bolts . Just make sure you put he rear air deflector on before the oil pan or you will be pulling the stud back out to do so like I did :cuss: :roll:
20220128_161457.jpg
engine installed for the third time . :snail: clutch on and adjusted ,
Modified parking brake lock half done . Hope have it finished and the oil cooler/tanks assembly on and filled tomorrow .

Dave

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:39 pm
by MattA
Looks good Dave. Please post some details on the parking brake mod.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:00 am
by DavidBarkey
MattA wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:39 pm Looks good Dave. Please post some details on the parking brake mod.
I will , Basically fixing the problem of hitting with your foot getting on and off .
pics. coming as I get it sorted out .

Dave

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:20 am
by propane1
It’s amazing how many times a fella hits that little brake thing. And try’s not to. Be good to see what you did Dave.

Noel

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:52 am
by Eugen
Great progress Dave! :cheers:

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:17 pm
by DavidBarkey
20220129_124510.jpg
20220129_124607.jpg
20220129_131952.jpg
20220129_134205.jpg
20220129_134227.jpg
20220129_134334.jpg
20220129_134416.jpg
Pic. 1,2,3 parts made or modified .
4 top view assembled
5 engagement knob and return spring
6 parking paw engaged
7 disengaged
Tried it . Works great , push down brake pedal and hold the knob down and release pedal = parking brake set . To release just push down on brake pedal . But anyone going to try to do this or there version of it , Pull the :cuss: motor ! I spent more time trying to work around the motor than it would taken to Re&Re it . I forgot to do it before putting the motor in and was to stu---- to take it back out .

Dave

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:15 pm
by Eugen
That is a nice solution! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:22 pm
by propane1
That’s a great fix.

Noel

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:53 am
by DavidBarkey
I can not take credit for the Parking Paw idea as I saw a different version of it on one of the Facebook pages . But My version means you can engage it easier in my view . Everything in this project was up-cycled .

Dave

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:58 am
by ssmewing
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:49 am some progress pic.s
20220120_120016.jpg
new full fenders
20220120_113658.jpg
20220120_113532.jpg
20220120_113510.jpg

Dave
What did you pay for the parts on your version of my linkage? Most people find it hard to come out ahead much because I buy the parts by the 100 count bags. But, you would be less my labor and custom things I do to the parts. After installing as many as I have you find some parts are hard to install and I modify the part to make it easier to install.

The best tool I bought with the proceeds was the portable Milwaukee Band saw. I then made a stand and a table for it. There are many ways that can be done after checking YouTube.

Also, the angle is better if you shorten the shaft for the heim joint. I started using the end joints you used. But, I had to stop using them. On some tractors, the joint hits each time you move it. If it does that it will not be long before the washer wears and the sloppy linkage will come back.

It makes for a nice tractor when you strip it, clean it at least, and paint it as a bonus.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:22 pm
by DavidBarkey
ssmewing wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:58 am
20220120_120016.jpg
new full fenders
20220120_113658.jpg
20220120_113532.jpg
20220120_113510.jpg

Dave
What did you pay for the parts on your version of my linkage? Most people find it hard to come out ahead much because I buy the parts by the 100 count bags. But, you would be less my labor and custom things I do to the parts. After installing as many as I have you find some parts are hard to install and I modify the part to make it easier to install.

The best tool I bought with the proceeds was the portable Milwaukee Band saw. I then made a stand and a table for it. There are many ways that can be done after checking YouTube.

Also, the angle is better if you shorten the shaft for the heim joint. I started using the end joints you used. But, I had to stop using them. On some tractors, the joint hits each time you move it. If it does that it will not be long before the washer wears and the sloppy linkage will come back.

It makes for a nice tractor when you strip it, clean it at least, and paint it as a bonus.
Correct me if I am wrong , but yours are $ 66.42 :canada: $$ plus $24 ish :canada: Each , plus we get screwed royally at the boarder by everyone except USPS (they're great ) Now before I tell you how much mine cost ,know this I am 30 veteran of Auto repair , spent 15 year building race cars , have a back ground in machining and have mill and lathe ect. I have small compact tractor service business now . That being said I do have knowledge and connections . I paid $71 :canada: for the Pair and my washers are bearing bronze . And no offence to you or your parts they are quite good . But when I am able , I shop local supporting my community . Not everyone can do what I can do for myself , for them there is you . :cheers: for filling that void .
I would like a small band saw one day ,but getting the 2 post hoist off the floor and in use first. Being recovered enough from my injury/surgery to open the shop to customer again are the biggest priorities .
The heim ends are tight but just clear :phew: And new bronze washers are 1/8" thick (custom made )
Strip, clean repair , repaint and rework what does't work for me has been part of my rehabilitation . I can put 6-7 hrs. a day in now , so getting better . If I make mistake it's only mine and not a customers . If all continues to go well I will open the shop again , part time at first in March . :clap:

Dave

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:40 pm
by DavidBarkey
20220201_100921.jpg
stick on heater pad
20220201_112645.jpg
high heat rap on , tank and cooler installed and oil in .
starting to look like something .

Dave

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:03 am
by propane1
Thanks Dave.

Now before I tell you how much mine cost ,know this I am 30 veteran of Auto repair , spent 15 year building race cars , have a back ground in machining and have mill and lathe ect. I have small compact tractor service business now . That being said I do have knowledge and connections .

When you join a forum and begin to chat with people, one has no idea what the others know. Thanks for the background information. :worship:

Hehe, I’m just a back yard type. I have no formal training in any thing. I just try to get along. I can do bronze and steel rod welding with gas torch, mig and stick weld, basic engine work, metal work stuff like that. Some electrical stuff. As my son and I say, we’re stupid enough to get ourselves into trouble, but normally smart enough to get ourselves out trouble, most of the time. Hehe.

Did you have any thing to do with Rambler cars and engines, in your day ?

I’m rambling aging. Any way. Have a good day.

Noel

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:15 am
by DavidBarkey
Propane57 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:03 am Thanks Dave.

Now before I tell you how much mine cost ,know this I am 30 veteran of Auto repair , spent 15 year building race cars , have a back ground in machining and have mill and lathe ect. I have small compact tractor service business now . That being said I do have knowledge and connections .

When you join a forum and begin to chat with people, one has no idea what the others know. Thanks for the background information. :worship:

Hehe, I’m just a back yard type. I have no formal training in any thing. I just try to get along. I can do bronze and steel rod welding with gas torch, mig and stick weld, basic engine work, metal work stuff like that. Some electrical stuff. As my son and I say, we’re stupid enough to get ourselves into trouble, but normally smart enough to get ourselves out trouble, most of the time. Hehe.

Noel

Actually My grandfather had one . The most I did with that was hold the pass seat down . ;)

Dave

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:39 am
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:40 pm 20220201_100921.jpg
stick on heater pad
20220201_112645.jpg
high heat rap on , tank and cooler installed and oil in .
starting to look like something .

Dave
I haven't had time yesterday to say it, but wow, nice work Dave. Clean and tidy, and I know what you do actually works! :thumbsup:

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:10 pm
by Timj
Propane57 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:03 am Thanks Dave.

Noel
Noel, your absolutely right, when you get info you don't always know how good it is. Being a small, but growing group has allowed us to get to know each other better. It has been fun. I would consider many here true friends. Rambling is ok.

Sorry to hijack your thread a little Dave. The tractor is really coming to together. You may even get to use it before winter is over.

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:47 pm
by Eugen
We make up for size in quality and cohesiveness! :smash: :wave3:

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:58 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:47 pm We make up for size in quality and cohesiveness! :smash: :wave3:

And what,????? Eugen :106: That’s a way over my smart level. Cohesiveness. :hm: :43: :giggle:

Noel

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:01 pm
by propane1
Sorry to hijack your thread a little Dave. The tractor is really coming to together. You may even get to use it before winter is over.

Me too Dave. I get carried away some times along with the rambling.

Noel

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:01 pm
by Eugen
tight group Noel! :bee:

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:10 pm
by DavidBarkey
Found this on sale , fits the 1996 - 2002 GM 2.4l 4cy . twin cam
20220203_155521.jpg
element soldered into brass 1/2" NPT so can go in oil no prob.

Dave

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:43 pm
by Eugen
So this element comes in direct contact with the oil. But it doesn't burn the oil right? Does it have a thermostat or something like that? :geek:

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:18 pm
by propane1
About how many Watts would this heater be ? :hm:

Noel

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:57 pm
by ssmewing
DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:22 pm
ssmewing wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:58 am
20220120_120016.jpg
new full fenders
20220120_113658.jpg
20220120_113532.jpg
20220120_113510.jpg

Dave

Correct me if I am wrong , but yours are $ 66.42 :canada: $$ plus $24 ish :canada: Each , plus we get screwed royally at the boarder by everyone except USPS (they're great ) Now before I tell you how much mine cost ,know this I am 30 veteran of Auto repair , spent 15 year building race cars , have a back ground in machining and have mill and lathe ect. I have small compact tractor service business now . That being said I do have knowledge and connections . I paid $71 :canada: for the Pair and my washers are bearing bronze . And no offence to you or your parts they are quite good . But when I am able , I shop local supporting my community . Not everyone can do what I can do for myself , for them there is you . :cheers: for filling that void .
I would like a small band saw one day ,but getting the 2 post hoist off the floor and in use first. Being recovered enough from my injury/surgery to open the shop to customer again are the biggest priorities .
The heim ends are tight but just clear :phew: And new bronze washers are 1/8" thick (custom made )
Strip, clean repair , repaint and rework what does't work for me has been part of my rehabilitation . I can put 6-7 hrs. a day in now , so getting better . If I make mistake it's only mine and not a customers . If all continues to go well I will open the shop again , part time at first in March . :clap:

Dave
I ship to CA, often. But, I do not see what you pay. I get paid the same and the shipping shows as the same as well and it is USPS when I send it. Shipping is flat rate USPS $8.95 on my end. They are $52 US. I had to raise the price from $46 after my supplier raised prices due to Covid shipping issues. It sounds like eBay and the exchange rate is pretty expensive. Thankfully, our left progressives are just a loud-mouthed minority at this point.

I include the washer. I buy the bronze 863 1/8" washers sold on McMaster. I also use their Grade B7 threaded rod. I could go cheap on that. But, The difference is not enough to risk the issues that could happen with a cheap hardware rod. I send a complete kit. If your end joint is not hitting then of course you will be fine. I only installed it on my own 4018PS and it did hit, slightly. I knew that would cause an issue in wear. But, it operated just fine. On the 4 digit tractors, the linkage is on top instead of the bottom on the older models.

I have had American buyers say that they tried to buy the parts themselves and it was more expensive for them. And that is not counting my tweaks that make it work better and install easier.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:57 pm
by Eugen
It's 400w

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:30 pm
by propane1
I don’t think that would do any thing to hurt the oil other than heat it. It would start to circulate once it started heating, always bringing cooler oil up from the bottom. Just my take on it.

Noel

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:15 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:43 pm So this element comes in direct contact with the oil. But it doesn't burn the oil right? Does it have a thermostat or something like that? :geek:
Yes it directly in the oil at the bottom of the pan so as the oil warms up the convection currants will cause it to circulate in the pan . Plus the aluminum pan and block will suck up the heat . Being outside below freezing it would take a long time for things to get hot enough to worry about.

"Lubricating oils, as it turns out, have an average chain length of 36 carbon atoms, this gives them a very high boiling point (somewhere around 300 degrees Celsius or 572 degrees Fahrenheit)."

"Water turns into steam at 212°F. Mixing traditional ethylene glycol antifreeze with water in a 50-50 ratio increases the boiling point to 223°F, which is close to the operating temperature of an engine. "

Goal is to be able to put it on a timer or something so to be able to take the chill off before firing up for all the obvious reasons .

Dave

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:31 am
by Eugen
Makes sense Dave! This is certainly inspiring me to consider it for my tractors. :cheers:

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:59 pm
by DavidBarkey
20220208_160541.jpg
20220208_160547.jpg
20220208_160556.jpg
20220208_160807.jpg
One hood from two . One hood the top and bottom were rotted out bad . The other the top as seen in first pic badly pitted to the point it weighed about half the other one . Seeing as everything is already in pieces I might do a 2 piece hood set up . :hm:

Dave

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:20 pm
by DavidBarkey
20220209_120416.jpg
Tilts forward to access clutch , belt, tank and cooler
20220209_120659.jpg
2 bars and 2 screws hold in place
20220209_120751.jpg
Now figure out hood hinges and latch
20220209_155845.jpg
hinges done , now need ideas for latch and hood prop. want it to still look original when done and safe to stick my head under .

Dave

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:34 pm
by Eugen
coming along nicely Dave! I might have saved you some work with a spare hood on one of the parts tractors.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:25 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:34 pm coming along nicely Dave! I might have saved you some work with a spare hood on one of the parts tractors.
Thanks , I appreciate the offer . But where would the challenge be in that .

Dave

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:39 pm
by DavidBarkey
20220216_163528.jpg
hood is on or off in seconds
20220216_163450.jpg
simple pull knob , used a hole already there
20220216_163420.jpg
Kiss theory here :rofl: well sort of
20220216_163411.jpg
dual latches , still have to epoxy a magnet on the bottom to hold the hood prop when hood is down

Dave

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:02 am
by Eugen
That mechanism is more fancy than the original, that's for sure! :cheers:

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:46 am
by DavidBarkey
Going to practice my stripping today . :giggle:

Dave

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:19 am
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:46 am Going to practice my stripping today . :giggle:

Dave
:109: :rofl: I see you got those new blue poles :rofl:

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:17 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:19 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:46 am Going to practice my stripping today . :giggle:

Dave
:109: :rofl: I see you got those new blue poles :rofl:
My neighbours are thankful for the 4 wall and am thankful for the heater . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dave

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:18 pm
by DavidBarkey
20220312_102244.jpg
stripper at work .
20220312_153513.jpg
20220312_153527.jpg
2 application later , 4 coat of paint and 2 layers of decals removed .
Sure beats trying to sand it all off .
PS. kept my close on the whole time . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dave

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:23 pm
by DavidBarkey
A little repair work to be done here .
20220312_102301.jpg
20220312_105700.jpg
to be continued

Dave

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:44 pm
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:18 pm 20220312_102244.jpgstripper at work .
20220312_153513.jpg
20220312_153527.jpg

Dave
Amazing how well that stripper worked! i'm not fun of sanding at all.

Are you not giving it a coat of rust klutter thingy?

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:37 pm
by propane1
I bet Dave was dancin around in his ,,,,,,,,,,, while doing the applications. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Noel

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:03 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:44 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:18 pm 20220312_102244.jpgstripper at work .
20220312_153513.jpg
20220312_153527.jpg

Dave
Amazing how well that stripper worked! i'm not fun of sanding at all.

Are you not giving it a coat of rust klutter thingy?
Ya , just haven't got that far yet . have to finish getting all the paint off first and sand the surface .

Dave

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:09 pm
by DavidBarkey
Got it running today . Need to setup the carb and mount the caster tomorrow . The machine gun exhaust is surprisingly quiet .Very happy with that.

Dave

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:50 am
by DavidBarkey
20220328_103604.jpg
weights and chains on . That'll giver some gripsion .

Dave

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:00 am
by Eugen
I bet you would've liked some snow right now! :D

I like your work so far Dave!

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:35 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:00 am I bet you would've liked some snow right now! :D

I like your work so far Dave!
Yes and no , but I do have a couple of snow banks yet and something tells me we haven't seen the last of it yet.

Dave

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:30 pm
by DavidBarkey
20220830_082836.jpg
20220830_082754.jpg
and so it starts , the cab build

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:04 pm
by Eugen
Fits well on that tractor Dave! :thumbsup:

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:28 pm
by DavidBarkey
20220831_160343.jpg
A little more done yesterday, Going to look at some tempered glass for front and rear windows sat. morning .

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:52 pm
by Eugen
Where can you possibly find tempered glass? :O

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:06 pm
by Jancoe
Dave,
Don't you want to use safety glass? Tempered glass can't be cut after it's been tempered. Safety glass is what's used for windshields. That's what I installed on a Sandrail I used to have.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:35 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:52 pm Where can you possibly find tempered glass? :O
used on Marketplace .
Guys has a bunch 26"x 36" . $10 each
I am going Sat. morning to pick up 2 pieces for me , If you want some let me know I can pick for you too .

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:38 am
by DavidBarkey
Jancoe wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:06 pm Dave,
Don't you want to use safety glass? Tempered glass can't be cut after it's been tempered. Safety glass is what's used for windshields. That's what I installed on a Sandrail I used to have.

Yes , but can't get that for $10 a piece I can get clear film to put on the in side .

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:39 am
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:35 am used on Marketplace .
Guys has a bunch 26"x 36" . $10 each
I am going Sat. morning to pick up 2 pieces for me , If you want some let me know I can pick for you too .
I don't think I can use that size Dave, but thank you! The big backhoe has a broken front window but it's larger than 26".

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:17 pm
by DavidBarkey
1 1/4" bed angle 12" long over bent to 85 degrees ,nuts welded to back side  . this is to keep the snow from building up on the back of the top plate
1 1/4" bed angle 12" long over bent to 85 degrees ,nuts welded to back side . this is to keep the snow from building up on the back of the top plate
7x7" - 3/8" conveyor belt deflector
7x7" - 3/8" conveyor belt deflector

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:26 am
by Eugen
That's very neat Dave! Looks like it was factory built.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:32 pm
by DavidBarkey
I finally got that finish and correct , twice even . :)) Front and rear wiper motor mounted . :clap: . Next door hinges and front cab enclosers .

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:33 pm
by ras101
So I get like it seems to this point every year! well at least the last 5 years at least. I really love the topic as One of my GT''s is dedicated to snow duty only . I always start late!. Summer my summer GT's always get my priority. Trying to change my tract this winter season even though my thinking has kicked in late. So what do I start? The season is already here. My snow blower is mounted, engine still works, gas up, oil checked too. So where do I start? I have a new belt sitting waiting when needed. etc, Oh, my jack shaft is 1 year old as is a new 5/8 belt fitted, etc. Can't do much this season as its set for use right now but what about next? Have a few plans, no even that is not right I have a few thoughts might be better. I have rubber belting to make rubber paddles (I have a J48 snow caster), I already have new bearing through out too. Not happy at all with the shoot rotation though. I have a new spiral but I was thinking of changing to power chute too. I guess I am looking for a project for winter even though it's for winter use too... I know, I am basically out of season here :) Want to help and join me I a new snow lowing solution for next season.?

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:39 pm
by DavidBarkey
20221231_142352.jpg
20221231_142421.jpg
20221231_142439.jpg
Got some done and test fitted the glass

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:45 pm
by DavidBarkey
@ras101 I know , unless something is broken it is hard to take something apart to make alterations . I am lucky as I still have Frankie , and he is still on winter duty until I get this one finished . That being said , that is probably why this one was not finished in the summer as I had a back up and "time" . Yet here we are still working on it . :30:

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:59 pm
by DavidBarkey
20230105_151810.jpg
20230105_151853.jpg
20230105_151819.jpg
20230105_151841.jpg
Got a little more done on the cab . Needed a couple of more inches for my toes (short frame) so made rubber booties .

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:17 pm
by Eugen
Looks like your build is coming along nice Dave. Are you using glass for the main windshield and plexiglass for the rest? Do you have enough clearance for the clutch engagement lever?

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:03 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:17 pm Looks like your build is coming along nice Dave. Are you using glass for the main windshield and plexiglass for the rest? Do you have enough clearance for the clutch engagement lever?
Glass for main front and back window as they have wiper blades . door skins and rest are poly-carbonate (lexan)

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:48 pm
by Harry
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:32 pm I finally got that finish and correct , twice even . :)) Front and rear wiper motor mounted . :clap: . Next door hinges and front cab enclosers .
David, where did you source the wiper motors from? :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:45 am
by DavidBarkey
Harry wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:48 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:32 pm I finally got that finish and correct , twice even . :)) Front and rear wiper motor mounted . :clap: . Next door hinges and front cab enclosers .
David, where did you source the wiper motors from? :peace: Harry
I got them from King Jeffey's site . Comes with motor,arm ,and blade . Not a bad deal and free delivery . I bought 2 for it . $50 :canada: You should be able to get a better deal for a kit for one of those Utv's .

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0841C ... UTF8&psc=1

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:59 pm
by ras101
Like the upgraded TCV valve connections! exactly what I did too.. Slop in this connection causes major issues later in life!

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:31 pm
by ras101
Love where you are taking this and am following intently with your updates too. I have a chassis for a 1987 444 sitting in my basement for way too long that has been sandblasted. For me moving to the next step has been hard. Not into painting myself but also know what I am looking for too. Looking for an expert in my area WNY (Rochester/Webster) to listen to my needs and paint for me.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:33 pm
by DavidBarkey
20230109_150745.jpg
20230109_150818.jpg
20230109_150915.jpg
20230109_151049.jpg
A little closer each day . both door frames and hinges .
rear fuel access door .
Almost ready to clean up and paint frames . Just have figure out door latches .

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:55 pm
by ras101
Dave, I really there with you!! Took a slightly different approach with the front angle but I can see see exactly your reasoning too. Love your work so far...

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:00 pm
by DavidBarkey
Open to ideas for door latches . Factory kits are pricey .

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:01 pm
by DavidBarkey
ras101 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:55 pm Dave, I really there with you!! Took a slightly different approach with the front angle but I can see see exactly your reasoning too. Love your work so far...
Thanks Ray , What do have for a cab ?

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:14 pm
by ras101
A couple of years ago I bought a very down trodden K2 cab from a guy in CNY. The roof was completely shot, only one very beaten up door where the window was totally missing etc. Read "it was a work in progress!"

I have been working on that (bar illness) ever since. I am fitting it to a 1987 444 chassis. One of the first things I have done was to create a new roof but 1" longer than the original so that changed the front angle and stepped out the whole front section. My aim is/was to create my space. My next move was to get rid of the front skirt! I wanted a see through so it needed to be all plexiglass. Plexi glass doors, etc. Still working it but I want to share sometime in the future..

Ray

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:10 pm
by Jancoe
If your going cheap and simple I bet a screen door latch would do the job.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:01 am
by MattA
Dave - This is how the door latches are done on the modern CB34 cab. Basically an L shaped bracket is welded to a tube which is spring loaded and slides back and forth on a rod. The rod holds the door up in the strike plate and the L shaped bracket holds the door shut.

Edit- The spring is internal to the tube and the rod is held in place by a set screw by the door latch.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:13 am
by DavidBarkey
Thanks @MattA Matt
Sure simple enough .

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:21 pm
by BobAfton
DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:00 pm Open to ideas for door latches . Factory kits are pricey .
Dave, I used screen door latches on mine...At top and bottom I added spring latches because the 3/16" lexan (polycarbonate) had some flex.
Bob

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:34 pm
by DavidBarkey
BobAfton wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:21 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:00 pm Open to ideas for door latches . Factory kits are pricey .
Dave, I used screen door latches on mine...At top and bottom I added spring latches because the 3/16" lexan (polycarbonate) had some flex.
Bob
My door have 1" light wall tube , so flex not an issue . I am putting 1/8" lexan on my doors . I like the way that looks . Looked at the price of them , $20 :canada: will do a door tax in . I thinking that is the way I will go . I have untill next week when the metal has been painted and I have picked up the lexan .

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:44 pm
by ras101
So for me I have been working exclusively with 8020 Aluminum profiles for my front cab braces and also my cab doors. Easy to use and has all the profiles necessary to address the whole door. What is not aluminum profile on my doors is plexiglass. To me being constrained in a "box" for even a 1/4 hour is daunting. I personally want maximum visibility and that includes curbs etc. Never was a lover of the Old or even new cabs because of this. I guess I need to get back to working on mine also and photo what I mean. By the way Bob has exactly the right idea for doors. For me I dialed it back, but only one notch to include a central bar for the lock and added sliding windows. I am using 1/4 plexiglass throughout
I also used screen door locks on my design too.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:44 pm
by ras101
Should say guys that BobAftons design was the one and only that inspired me to look at adding a cab to my winter GT>>

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:28 pm
by DavidBarkey
more progress , trial fitting .
front work lights to blind the neighbours
front work lights to blind the neighbours
seeing what I just backed into mirrors
seeing what I just backed into mirrors
2" steering shaft extension
2" steering shaft extension
grab handles for re/re the doors
grab handles for re/re the doors
storm door latch set
storm door latch set

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:06 pm
by DavidBarkey
An hour after lunch break was over it was all in pieces on the floor ready for tomorrows sanding / grinding prep for paint . Saturday is paint day .

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:40 pm
by RoamingGnome
Awesome details on your build - Thanks! I've made so many mental notes of good ideas to incorporate on my 446 - I really like the way your cab looks !

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:10 am
by Harry
David it appears to me that you have done a terrific job on your cab build as you have always done on your other projects. :worship: :worship: :worship: :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:45 am
by DavidBarkey
Thank for the kind words guys . parts in paint now .
Front and rear window frames
Front and rear window frames
door frames
door frames
bits and pieces
bits and pieces
fibreglass roof (cut from old Jeep top )
fibreglass roof (cut from old Jeep top )
couple of days of drying then reassemble with glass and lexan for doors

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:52 pm
by DavidBarkey
Cab is back together. Glass is in , and working on electrical . Hope to go get the lexan for the doors tomorrow . Just waiting to here if my buddy can help me drive to the GTA to pick it up , no stock locally and there prices are stupid . Sorry guys no pics (tractor porn ) today . Forgot to charge the phone :30: .

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:28 pm
by RoamingGnome
If you are thinking of coming into the GTA for clear plastic-y stuff I can suggest comparing prices with P&A Plastics in downtown Hamilton - https://paplastics.com/ they can be a pretty good source to try - and Princess Auto has some Acrylic sheets as well (Sorry I think they were on sale LAST week...) https://www.princessauto.com/en/96-x-48 ... 0009107202

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:56 pm
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:52 pm Cab is back together. Glass is in , and working on electrical . Hope to go get the lexan for the doors tomorrow . Just waiting to here if my buddy can help me drive to the GTA to pick it up , no stock locally and there prices are stupid . Sorry guys no pics (tractor porn ) today . Forgot to charge the phone :30: .
Which area Dave, I'm going to go downtown in the next few days, not sure which day though. You're welcome to come along.

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:51 pm
by RoamingGnome
Check the forecast before you leave... they are calling for freezing rain in the GTA Thursday morning...

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:53 am
by DavidBarkey
RoamingGnome wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:28 pm If you are thinking of coming into the GTA for clear plastic-y stuff I can suggest comparing prices with P&A Plastics in downtown Hamilton - https://paplastics.com/ they can be a pretty good source to try - and Princess Auto has some Acrylic sheets as well (Sorry I think they were on sale LAST week...) https://www.princessauto.com/en/96-x-48 ... 0009107202
Thanks , unfortunately Hamilton is too far for me . PA is out of stock in my area . :violin:

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:58 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:56 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:52 pm Cab is back together. Glass is in , and working on electrical . Hope to go get the lexan for the doors tomorrow . Just waiting to here if my buddy can help me drive to the GTA to pick it up , no stock locally and there prices are stupid . Sorry guys no pics (tractor porn ) today . Forgot to charge the phone :30: .
Which area Dave, I'm going to go downtown in the next few days, not sure which day though. You're welcome to come along.
111 Millwick Drive, Units 7-11, North York, Plastic World . Picking up a 4x8 sheet 3mm (1/8) lexan for the door skins .

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:19 am
by Eugen
I can pick it up for you next time I go in town.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:56 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:19 am I can pick it up for you next time I go in town.
Thanks , Let me know when you are going in case I can't get down there .

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:24 am
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:56 am
Eugen wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:19 am I can pick it up for you next time I go in town.
Thanks , Let me know when you are going in case I can't get down there .
Most likely Tuesday. I'll message you offline about this.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:03 pm
by DavidBarkey
20230119_150732.jpg
Rear but flap open for fueling
Rear but flap open for fueling
nice bright head lights
nice bright head lights
upper dash panel / cab controls
upper dash panel / cab controls
electron highway
electron highway
Sorry about some of the pic.s being dark . Still can't get this phone to take a good pic. every time .

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:49 pm
by Eugen
Dave, I see the flux capacitor gauge is showing red! Red alert! :O

Seriously, that is awesome! :cheers:

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:01 pm
by DavidBarkey
:rofl:
Still need to build a boot over the fuel tank so that the only gas fumes in the cab come from the driver . :sick:

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:22 pm
by propane1
So this is a hybrid of sorts Dave ? Gunna run on mixed gasoline and natural gas vapor Put a hole in the seat and a tube down to the vent on the gas cap. :giggle: :giggle:

Noel :D

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:54 am
by DavidBarkey
propane1 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:22 pm So this is a hybrid of sorts Dave ? Gunna run on mixed gasoline and natural gas vapor Put a hole in the seat and a tube down to the vent on the gas cap. :giggle: :giggle:

Funny enough there is a hole in the seat in the seat from factory . In the right place as well for said purpose . :rofl: I would have to put a set of Fart Can mufflers on to complete the system . :rofl:

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:51 pm
by DavidBarkey
We have doors on the greenhouse , I mean cab . :rofl: They pop off in seconds for summer use . i have to make a rack to hang them on when not in use . Anyone thinking of having pop off doors , always make your bottom hinge pin 1" long and top 1/2" long . That way you are not trying to line up both at the same time . They fit inside the frame so can not come off when closed . Have to install the backup light and window defog fans , but getting closer to mounting the snow caster and installing electric chute rotator .
20230121_155853.jpg
20230121_155923.jpg
I mounted the hinge to the front like a car . This naturally makes them self closing .

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:13 pm
by Eugen
Looking forward to seeing it in real life. Looks very open as to the view. Very nice, in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:33 pm
by JSinMO
It looks awesome! Well done! :worship: can’t wait to see some pictures of it at work. :highfive:

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:44 pm
by Jancoe
Very nice work Dave. Curious why you chose to have the doors swing from the front instead of the rear? I haven't had a cab on my tractors yet and will someday build one. Taking notes. Looks comfy in there.

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:45 pm
by RoamingGnome
Very nice! :cheers: One of the best looking cabs I've seen! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:47 pm
by Timj
:thumbsup: looking good Dave, I really like the amount of visibility. :thumbsup: not much excuse for running into stuff because it was in a blind spot.
Should be a fun snow removal machine.
:geek: Tim

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:08 pm
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:51 pm We have doors on the greenhouse.

Looking great Dave.

But the greenhouse got me to thinking about the AMC Pacer cars. All glass and tinted green. We use to call them green house on wheels.

Noel

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:25 pm
by DavidBarkey
Jancoe wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:44 pm Very nice work Dave. Curious why you chose to have the doors swing from the front instead of the rear? I haven't had a cab on my tractors yet and will someday build one. Taking notes. Looks comfy in there.

Back issues make it difficult to twist and pull door shut at times . the front post being on an angle naturally closes the door . That is the main reason for building this tractor . The blower on the back on Frankie is becoming to difficult to use anymore . This tractor is also being built with :51: our grandson in mind so he can drive it as well . Comfort and visibility are main concerns.

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:31 pm
by DavidBarkey
propane1 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:08 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:51 pm We have doors on the greenhouse.

Looking great Dave.

But the greenhouse got me to thinking about the AMC Pacer cars. All glass and tinted green. We use to call them green house on wheels.

Noel
If I was to say I m them , that would date me too . We called them fish bowls . Mine is more of a old school phone both or a bus shelter . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:14 pm
by JSinMO
Hhmmm…..
D12E9AC8-861A-4105-BABF-2CBECB1C5AF5.png
:rofl: :rofl:

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:58 pm
by propane1
Hehehehe.

Noel

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:28 am
by DavidBarkey
JSinMO wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:14 pm Hhmmm…..

D12E9AC8-861A-4105-BABF-2CBECB1C5AF5.png

:rofl: :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:53 am
by ssmewing
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:51 pm We have doors on the greenhouse , I mean cab . :rofl: They pop off in seconds for summer use . i have to make a rack to hang them on when not in use . Anyone thinking of having pop off doors , always make your bottom hinge pin 1" long and top 1/2" long . That way you are not trying to line up both at the same time . They fit inside the frame so can not come off when closed . Have to install the backup light and window defog fans , but getting closer to mounting the snow caster and installing electric chute rotator . 20230121_155853.jpg20230121_155923.jpg
I mounted the hinge to the front like a car . This naturally makes them self closing .
I made some and posted them on Youtube as Hemlock Case Guy. You should be able to copy them. They are made with 2 seat motors from Surplus Center. Then you need 2 momentary DPDT switches or motor reversing switches. Also from Surplus Center.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:20 pm
by BobAfton
Dave, Cab looks great! Nicely done. Lots of visibility.
Bob

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:52 pm
by DavidBarkey
2 speed jeep TJ front wiper motor with case ground so had to open up and change the ground and just use slow speed circuit
2 speed jeep TJ front wiper motor with case ground so had to open up and change the ground and just use slow speed circuit
adapter from wiper motor to worm shaft
adapter from wiper motor to worm shaft
20230125_094826.jpg
mounting bracket
mounting bracket
20230125_150512.jpg
Only modification was removing the tension spring
Only modification was removing the tension spring
High $$ weather shield
High $$ weather shield

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:43 pm
by Jancoe
Setup looks nice. I found the motor I used was 150rpms. The speed is great on it. How many is that one? I have another caster to do and the one I'm using now is expensive to replace.

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:19 pm
by BobAfton
Here is a guide I made while looking for motors. Lock to Lock (Left to Right) on my snowcaster crank took 14 revolutions.
Chute Rotation Speeds002.jpg

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:27 am
by DavidBarkey
Jancoe wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:43 pm Setup looks nice. I found the motor I used was 150rpms. The speed is great on it. How many is that one? I have another caster to do and the one I'm using now is expensive to replace.

I do not know the rpm . Never checked , just powered it up the two speeds and chose the slow speed by eye . They were on dirt cheap last year when I started this , finally getting it done .

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:32 pm
by DavidBarkey
Quote from weather
We got 4-6" snow here . went out early to finish the 446 blower tractor chute rotator so I could try it out . First won't start , fuel line dry . I had had it off and for got to prime it . Then only running on one cylinder , one plug fowled ?? Got it running on both and tried blowing snow . Ran fine for a bit then wouldn't run unless part choke , then cleared up . Clutch is not staying locked in . Can not steer it unless caster is up , but lots of rear traction. New door skins rattle . Chute rotator works but is too slow for my liking . Getting a lot of snow spray out the side of the chute . Ended up putting back in the shop and firing up Frankie to finish the job .
But now I have a list of thing to work on before the next snow fall .

Clutch repaired - fork was worn . built up with weld and ground/filed into size and shape .
New spark plugs and extra sea foam in fuel just in case .
Tomorrow chute and door rattle .

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:59 am
by Eugen
Good progress Dave! Lettuce know what your solution for the door rattle is, because it feels like everything rattles on my 444, including my teeth! :rofl:

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:39 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:59 am Good progress Dave! Lettuce know what your solution for the door rattle is, because it feels like everything rattles on my 444, including my teeth! :rofl:
I am going to try a urethane caulking between the frame and the skin . Part of the problem is I went with 1/8' lexan for weight and $$$ savings as they are removeable .

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:03 am
by RoamingGnome
Is your rattling metal on metal ? (Door frame on Cab frame) or the rattle of the lexan fluttering?
Princess Auto has automotive style weather stripping on sale next week, or perhaps a quick test with self-adhesive foam tape before gluing the panels in place with sealant?

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:05 pm
by DavidBarkey
RoamingGnome wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:03 am Is your rattling metal on metal ? (Door frame on Cab frame) or the rattle of the lexan fluttering?
Princess Auto has automotive style weather stripping on sale next week, or perhaps a quick test with self-adhesive foam tape before gluing the panels in place with sealant?
Lexan fluttering against the door frame mostly .

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:17 pm
by ras101
Hi Dave, like to see more of what you have done here.. Any actual drawings you can share?

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:38 pm
by DavidBarkey
ras101 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:17 pm Hi Dave, like to see more of what you have done here.. Any actual drawings you can share?
@ras101
What would you like to see Ray ? Sorry no drawing that have not already been uploaded as pics. here . Like Gerry said Cardboard Aided Design . I measure once cut ten times then use it and a fat sharpy to pattern and make a bigger piece . If there is something that you would like the size of I can measure and photogragh it .

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:28 pm
by ras101
Dave, not sure yet, but I like where you have taken this and would like to take your work into account as I move forward. Thanks for getting back to me..

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:55 pm
by DavidBarkey
Update
Gluing down with Urethane sealant on door frame fix the door rattle .
Plugs fixed the misfire on one cylinder .
Still needed choke on part way to keep running , got worse the more I ran it . Parked it finished with Frankie . Opened up the breather to find full of oil . Pulled intake and carb off , check the read valve and spring . All is good :hm: . drained the oil and refilled with measured amount according every source I could find . level is only half way on the hash marks . Possibly wrong dipstick :hm: Apparently I have been over filling it as per the dip stick .
Open carb to clean it , it clean :hm: . check fuel line / filter / screen , All good . Open up fuel pump , it is clean on fuel side , diaphragm ok , check valve ok , but the vac side of diaphragm is full of oil :hm: . Clean it all up and go to reassemble only to realize the outer plate is on upside down . The hose was at the top not he bottom so just kept filling with oil until it could not move the diaphragm enough to pump enough fuel to keep the bowl full . :headbash: I had it apart last . :30: :35:
Tommorrow I will put it all back together and address the chute .
The rubber flap deflector I put on the front works like a charm . Recommend that to everyone .

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:20 am
by DavidBarkey
Problem - snow spraying out the bottom of the chute instead of out the top . Tried this and work surprisingly well . Still need to cut in another angle at the mid point . Still to straight up and down , but getting there .
heat foaming piece of lexan
heat foaming piece of lexan
hold its shape
hold its shape
fits good and natural slipperiness of the Lexan snow did not build up on it .
fits good and natural slipperiness of the Lexan snow did not build up on it .

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:52 am
by Eugen
Somehow I missed you extending the chute. Not sure what mods to do myself, as it seems to work so well with the type of snow we've had the past week. Are you not worried about the longevity of lexan?

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:13 am
by Gordy
Eugen wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:52 am Somehow I missed you extending the chute. Not sure what mods to do myself, as it seems to work so well with the type of snow we've had the past week. Are you not worried about the longevity of lexan?
Top secret surprise?

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:22 am
by Eugen
Gordy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:13 am Top secret surprise?

Gordy
:rofl: something like that. In reality there's no way I can keep up with Dave. I try to pay attention to what you all guys are doing, as there's sooo much to learn from you, but it seems my brain can't exactly do it. :109:

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:37 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:22 am
Gordy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:13 am Top secret surprise?

Gordy
:rofl: something like that. In reality there's no way I can keep up with Dave. I try to pay attention to what you all guys are doing, as there's sooo much to learn from you, but it seems my brain can't exactly do it. :109:
I did it last winter . my brain can't keep up with me eather .

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:22 pm
by DavidBarkey
I wanted a small light weight linear actuator for the chute deflector . Found these on King Jeffery site (amazon )
image.png
Was not sure if it would be strong enough . But it performed well . A little slow , but it is not something that you are adjusting all the time. The wires coming out of it are very small . Need to make a connector that I can epoxy to the case so can hook it up without worry about breaking the little wires . Blew some snow , mostly drifts today . It is nice and warm in my greenhouse cab . Especially when the sun is shining . Slowly getting all the new bells and whistles worked out .
I will load more pics tomorrow as it was covered in snow when I came in .

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:25 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:52 am Somehow I missed you extending the chute. Not sure what mods to do myself, as it seems to work so well with the type of snow we've had the past week. Are you not worried about the longevity of lexan?
Lexan is good enough for nascar at 200 mph . Bends and scratches but wont break . Should be good enough for some snow .

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:29 am
by DavidBarkey
20230204_075035.jpg
Newly revised chute angles .
bottom collar extension straight up . first angle 15 degrees , second section another 15 degrees for total of 30 degrees plus adjustable deflector .
Chute is off an old walk behind that was scraped .

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:03 am
by DavidBarkey
The black tube is spring cover from a WB snowblower linkage to keep snow and Ice off shaft . It says it is weather pro but , frozen is frozen. Take 15 seconds to lock to lock , slower than I would like but still good . 8mm/5/16" per second travel speed . Has 70 N / 14 lbs push pull force and end of stroke limit switches . 10 cm / 4" stroke
51xL0-Iy+YL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:07 am
by propane1
I used a walk behind blower chute too on my Ford. Its off a Noma Canadiana. Nice curve to it. And I added a power window thing for the top chute deflector. It moves quick, just about as fast as the hydraulic one on the John Deere.

Eugen might give me the boot for mentioning a Ford and John Deere tractor on a Case tractor site. :42: :42:

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:29 am
by DavidBarkey
@propane1 Noel looks good . And the best part is the same idea can be used on Case/Inggies . I have learned working on many different breads of cars, trucks and small tractors that not one them is perfect and can learn and adapt something from all of them . Same goes for each other .

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:36 am
by Eugen
I like what you guys did.

Oh, I ain't giving my boot to anyone! Need both my boots it's cold here! :D

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:13 am
by MattA
Looks good Dave. You can preheat your plastic in the oven before forming it.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:24 pm
by DavidBarkey
MattA wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:13 am Looks good Dave. You can preheat your plastic in the oven before forming it.
Yes ,thats how it is done in the factories . I just used what I had as it was a one off . Google Vacuum thermoforming plastics . Can be done with many types of plastics including plexiglass and lexan .

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:43 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:36 am I like what you guys did.

Oh, I ain't giving my boot to anyone! Need both my boots it's cold here! :D
Those boots are for walking , because sometime the :wife: take the car .
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:09 pm
by DavidBarkey
My new fan club . It only one , but it is start . :rofl:
20230204_135130.jpg

Back window in new tractor is fogging up . Must be getting too excited not having to backup to blow snow anymore . :cheers: :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:14 pm
by DavidBarkey
I think I should name this tractor Tarzan . ;)
20230204_152422.jpg
20230204_152435.jpg
20230204_152443.jpg
It has a trap door and a butt flap . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Flap lifts up when you flip the seat forward to refuel .

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:45 pm
by JSinMO
This project is really coming along great! You’ll be so comfortable in there you won’t want to go in the house!
I like the name Tarzan.

When you said it had a butt flap I thought of the old Union Suit long underwear! :rofl:
8E2AB4C6-45DA-4951-9B0A-6DF31DB71618.jpeg

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:45 am
by DavidBarkey
JSinMO wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:45 pm This project is really coming along great! You’ll be so comfortable in there you won’t want to go in the house!
I like the name Tarzan.

When you said it had a butt flap I thought of the old Union Suit long underwear! :rofl:

8E2AB4C6-45DA-4951-9B0A-6DF31DB71618.jpeg
I remember being a young boy and having PJs with a button up front and a button up back door .. :rofl:

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:12 am
by propane1
Looking good Dave. Where’s the hole in the seat and flap for the natural gas to get to the gas cap. :78:
Son got the fan working in his new to him Ford tractor. Has system in the ceiling for heat. 3 speed fan, adjustable louvers to put air where you want.
Tarzan would be a good name for the tractor Dave.

Noel

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:25 am
by DavidBarkey
propane1 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:12 am Looking good Dave. Where’s the hole in the seat and flap for the natural gas to get to the gas cap. :78:
Son got the fan working in his new to him Ford tractor. Has system in the ceiling for heat. 3 speed fan, adjustable louvers to put air where you want.
Tarzan would be a good name for the tractor Dave.

Noel
Nice thing about liquid cooled is the option for a heater . Good thing he got it working . Sounds like a nice set up.
:51: going to drive it too , so I think it is fitting .

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:01 pm
by propane1
Son got my truck back on the go, if any body is interested. He checked the codes. And there was a lot of them. Figured blown fuse. Then knew it was a short some where. But where ? That circuit had wires all over the truck. So with in 15 minutes found the trouble. Wire going to e vap thing had a wire touching the cross member. Short out. Removed wire. And put out of way. Will fix when on his hoist some day. Truck will run with out that e vap thing. I doubt I’d ever find some thing like that. :106:

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:08 pm
by JSinMO
Wow he did a great job finding it fast! That could have taken a lot of time tracking down wires. Glad your back on the road. My daily driver throws an evap code sometimes too. Not to worried about it never has gone into limp mode yet.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:22 am
by DavidBarkey
Glad to see you got it going again . That is most likely the evap purge solenoid . for what it takes fix it . If the canister gets saturated you could have problems filling the tank . .

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:35 pm
by Eugen
Electrical gremlins like that can be a total nightmare, and the worst if all when intermittent. He's real good finding it so fast! :O :thumbsup:

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:45 pm
by DavidBarkey
New multy hitch

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:55 pm
by DavidBarkey
engine oil heater finally installed .
400 watt (120v) 1/2" npt in oil drain port in pan .
20230209_130511.jpg
Oil will now be drained via the cross drilled hole at the base of the dip stick tube as it is right by the lift arm .
20230209_130522.jpg
not as convenient , but is only done twice a year, so no big deal .
I could remove the heater to drain the oil but then it would be all over the frame and don't want to risk damaging it .

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:05 pm
by ras101
Well Dave, not sure where you are with your 446 "project but it is starting to look really good!

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:30 pm
by DavidBarkey
ras101 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:05 pm Well Dave, not sure where you are with your 446 "project but it is staring to look really good!
It has worked well , the block heater and the tank heater did there job well . I looked in the cab today , and the temp was 21 c about 72 f sitting in the sun .