446 blower tractor project

Discussions on restoring tractors.
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: 446 blower tractor project

Post by DavidBarkey »

Jancoe wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:43 pm Setup looks nice. I found the motor I used was 150rpms. The speed is great on it. How many is that one? I have another caster to do and the one I'm using now is expensive to replace.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
I do not know the rpm . Never checked , just powered it up the two speeds and chose the slow speed by eye . They were on dirt cheap last year when I started this , finally getting it done .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Quote from weather
We got 4-6" snow here . went out early to finish the 446 blower tractor chute rotator so I could try it out . First won't start , fuel line dry . I had had it off and for got to prime it . Then only running on one cylinder , one plug fowled ?? Got it running on both and tried blowing snow . Ran fine for a bit then wouldn't run unless part choke , then cleared up . Clutch is not staying locked in . Can not steer it unless caster is up , but lots of rear traction. New door skins rattle . Chute rotator works but is too slow for my liking . Getting a lot of snow spray out the side of the chute . Ended up putting back in the shop and firing up Frankie to finish the job .
But now I have a list of thing to work on before the next snow fall .

Clutch repaired - fork was worn . built up with weld and ground/filed into size and shape .
New spark plugs and extra sea foam in fuel just in case .
Tomorrow chute and door rattle .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Good progress Dave! Lettuce know what your solution for the door rattle is, because it feels like everything rattles on my 444, including my teeth! :rofl:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:59 am Good progress Dave! Lettuce know what your solution for the door rattle is, because it feels like everything rattles on my 444, including my teeth! :rofl:
I am going to try a urethane caulking between the frame and the skin . Part of the problem is I went with 1/8' lexan for weight and $$$ savings as they are removeable .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Is your rattling metal on metal ? (Door frame on Cab frame) or the rattle of the lexan fluttering?
Princess Auto has automotive style weather stripping on sale next week, or perhaps a quick test with self-adhesive foam tape before gluing the panels in place with sealant?
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

RoamingGnome wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:03 am Is your rattling metal on metal ? (Door frame on Cab frame) or the rattle of the lexan fluttering?
Princess Auto has automotive style weather stripping on sale next week, or perhaps a quick test with self-adhesive foam tape before gluing the panels in place with sealant?
Lexan fluttering against the door frame mostly .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

Hi Dave, like to see more of what you have done here.. Any actual drawings you can share?
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:17 pm Hi Dave, like to see more of what you have done here.. Any actual drawings you can share?
@ras101
What would you like to see Ray ? Sorry no drawing that have not already been uploaded as pics. here . Like Gerry said Cardboard Aided Design . I measure once cut ten times then use it and a fat sharpy to pattern and make a bigger piece . If there is something that you would like the size of I can measure and photogragh it .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

Dave, not sure yet, but I like where you have taken this and would like to take your work into account as I move forward. Thanks for getting back to me..
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Update
Gluing down with Urethane sealant on door frame fix the door rattle .
Plugs fixed the misfire on one cylinder .
Still needed choke on part way to keep running , got worse the more I ran it . Parked it finished with Frankie . Opened up the breather to find full of oil . Pulled intake and carb off , check the read valve and spring . All is good :hm: . drained the oil and refilled with measured amount according every source I could find . level is only half way on the hash marks . Possibly wrong dipstick :hm: Apparently I have been over filling it as per the dip stick .
Open carb to clean it , it clean :hm: . check fuel line / filter / screen , All good . Open up fuel pump , it is clean on fuel side , diaphragm ok , check valve ok , but the vac side of diaphragm is full of oil :hm: . Clean it all up and go to reassemble only to realize the outer plate is on upside down . The hose was at the top not he bottom so just kept filling with oil until it could not move the diaphragm enough to pump enough fuel to keep the bowl full . :headbash: I had it apart last . :30: :35:
Tommorrow I will put it all back together and address the chute .
The rubber flap deflector I put on the front works like a charm . Recommend that to everyone .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder