446 blower tractor project

Discussions on restoring tractors.
Timj United States of America

Re: 446 blower tractor project

Post by Timj »

Propane57 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:03 am Thanks Dave.

Now before I tell you how much mine cost ,know this I am 30 veteran of Auto repair , spent 15 year building race cars , have a back ground in machining and have mill and lathe ect. I have small compact tractor service business now . That being said I do have knowledge and connections .

When you join a forum and begin to chat with people, one has no idea what the others know. Thanks for the background information. :worship:

Hehe, I’m just a back yard type. I have no formal training in any thing. I just try to get along. I can do bronze and steel rod welding with gas torch, mig and stick weld, basic engine work, metal work stuff like that. Some electrical stuff. As my son and I say, we’re stupid enough to get ourselves into trouble, but normally smart enough to get ourselves out trouble, most of the time. Hehe.

Did you have any thing to do with Rambler cars and engines, in your day ?

I’m rambling aging. Any way. Have a good day.

Noel
Noel, your absolutely right, when you get info you don't always know how good it is. Being a small, but growing group has allowed us to get to know each other better. It has been fun. I would consider many here true friends. Rambling is ok.

Sorry to hijack your thread a little Dave. The tractor is really coming to together. You may even get to use it before winter is over.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

We make up for size in quality and cohesiveness! :smash: :wave3:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Eugen wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:47 pm We make up for size in quality and cohesiveness! :smash: :wave3:

And what,????? Eugen :106: That’s a way over my smart level. Cohesiveness. :hm: :43: :giggle:

Noel
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Sorry to hijack your thread a little Dave. The tractor is really coming to together. You may even get to use it before winter is over.

Me too Dave. I get carried away some times along with the rambling.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

tight group Noel! :bee:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Found this on sale , fits the 1996 - 2002 GM 2.4l 4cy . twin cam
20220203_155521.jpg
element soldered into brass 1/2" NPT so can go in oil no prob.

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

So this element comes in direct contact with the oil. But it doesn't burn the oil right? Does it have a thermostat or something like that? :geek:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

About how many Watts would this heater be ? :hm:

Noel
ssmewing United States of America

Post by ssmewing »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:22 pm
ssmewing wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:58 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:49 am some progress pic.s
20220120_120016.jpg
new full fenders
20220120_113658.jpg
shaft support collar for removable steering wheel
20220120_113532.jpg
my version of control linkage
20220120_113510.jpg
rebuilt steering gears and linkage with hymens
underside all nice and clean .
all hydro resealed to hopefully stay that way.

Dave
What did you pay for the parts on your version of my linkage? Most people find it hard to come out ahead much because I buy the parts by the 100 count bags. But, you would be less my labor and custom things I do to the parts. After installing as many as I have you find some parts are hard to install and I modify the part to make it easier to install.

The best tool I bought with the proceeds was the portable Milwaukee Band saw. I then made a stand and a table for it. There are many ways that can be done after checking YouTube.

Also, the angle is better if you shorten the shaft for the heim joint. I started using the end joints you used. But, I had to stop using them. On some tractors, the joint hits each time you move it. If it does that it will not be long before the washer wears and the sloppy linkage will come back.

It makes for a nice tractor when you strip it, clean it at least, and paint it as a bonus.
Correct me if I am wrong , but yours are $ 66.42 :canada: $$ plus $24 ish :canada: Each , plus we get screwed royally at the boarder by everyone except USPS (they're great ) Now before I tell you how much mine cost ,know this I am 30 veteran of Auto repair , spent 15 year building race cars , have a back ground in machining and have mill and lathe ect. I have small compact tractor service business now . That being said I do have knowledge and connections . I paid $71 :canada: for the Pair and my washers are bearing bronze . And no offence to you or your parts they are quite good . But when I am able , I shop local supporting my community . Not everyone can do what I can do for myself , for them there is you . :cheers: for filling that void .
I would like a small band saw one day ,but getting the 2 post hoist off the floor and in use first. Being recovered enough from my injury/surgery to open the shop to customer again are the biggest priorities .
The heim ends are tight but just clear :phew: And new bronze washers are 1/8" thick (custom made )
Strip, clean repair , repaint and rework what does't work for me has been part of my rehabilitation . I can put 6-7 hrs. a day in now , so getting better . If I make mistake it's only mine and not a customers . If all continues to go well I will open the shop again , part time at first in March . :clap:

Dave
I ship to CA, often. But, I do not see what you pay. I get paid the same and the shipping shows as the same as well and it is USPS when I send it. Shipping is flat rate USPS $8.95 on my end. They are $52 US. I had to raise the price from $46 after my supplier raised prices due to Covid shipping issues. It sounds like eBay and the exchange rate is pretty expensive. Thankfully, our left progressives are just a loud-mouthed minority at this point.

I include the washer. I buy the bronze 863 1/8" washers sold on McMaster. I also use their Grade B7 threaded rod. I could go cheap on that. But, The difference is not enough to risk the issues that could happen with a cheap hardware rod. I send a complete kit. If your end joint is not hitting then of course you will be fine. I only installed it on my own 4018PS and it did hit, slightly. I knew that would cause an issue in wear. But, it operated just fine. On the 4 digit tractors, the linkage is on top instead of the bottom on the older models.

I have had American buyers say that they tried to buy the parts themselves and it was more expensive for them. And that is not counting my tweaks that make it work better and install easier.
Last edited by ssmewing on Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

It's 400w
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E