Page 1 of 1

Restoration or parts? Ingersoll 4118

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:00 am
by Spike188
Picking up a 4118 minus motor this today. It is a hurting unit. It is either a parts tractor or restoration project.
4118.png
Like I need another project.

Spike

Re: Restoration or parts? Ingersoll 4118

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:01 am
by Eugen
Very nice! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:05 am
by DavidBarkey
I would love to get my hands on one of those newer chassis .
Dave

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:50 am
by Timj
Spike188 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:00 am Picking up a 4118 minus motor this today. It is a hurting unit. It is either a parts tractor or restoration project.

4118.png

Spike
I have a 4118, bought it new in 1994, been a good machine, but they have some issues that may sway your decision to part or restore. How you would use it, too. They are a different animal.

Ask away,

Tim

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:10 pm
by myerslawnandgarden
While there are issues with the hydraulically driven decks and snowcasters this would make an excellent tilling plowing or dozing tractor. Would hate to see it parted out being a semi-rare model as well.

Bob

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:21 pm
by Timj
myerslawnandgarden wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:10 pm While there are issues with the hydraulically driven decks and snowcasters this would make an excellent tilling plowing or dozing tractor. Would hate to see it parted out being a semi-rare model as well.

Bob
I agree with you, Bob, they are a beast of a tractor. The bigger pump and cooler and power steering are definitely plusses. If we could find a resonable replacement hydraulic motor for the deck there would be no down side to the All Hydraulic tractors.

Tim

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:45 pm
by Jancoe
Eugene,
I think you need to take that power steering and turn one of your loaders into a dream machine. LOL nothing beats power steering with a full bucket load. I don't know if the steer cylinder is up the the task but the rest of the hydraulics should be of use. Then you have some spare parts for your 4016.

Evan

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:40 pm
by Spike188
A 4 hours round trip and the 4118 has found its rescue home. Pictures to follow. It was at the former home of a hoarder. I was surprised to find it is or was Onan powered. There were 2 motors in a dirt floor garage, along with engine tins, exhaust system, and brackets that looked to be part of the tractor. Missing are the heads and related sheet metal. I stumble onto the hydraulic oil rad tossed into another pile of junk.

During the drive home I was thinking like Jancoe but after reading the comments by Bob and AH I will at least take a look into restoration.

Hopefully there will be enough parts to bring it back to life.

Spike

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:57 pm
by Timj
It would have came with a Performer 18xsl.
KIMG0082~2.JPG
They were only made in '92 & '93

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:09 am
by Spike188
Items that are missing are Heads and tins, Air cleaner housing, hydraulic reservoir, and hood pins. I have messeged the seller, encouraging them to look for those parts as they deep clean the property. Bringing it back to life will be on hold until the 646LBH is complete.

Spike

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:46 pm
by Spike188
The only show stopper is the missing Hydraulic tank C37228, unique to the 41XXX series. Also the front LH spindle C131340 is broken but can be welded and turned back down. The hydraulic cooling fan and spacers is missing as well as all of the inspection covers. The deck has locked spindle bearings, no big deal.

The new home owners will look for more parts on Tuesday.

Spike

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:57 pm
by Timj
I don't know how it goes for you getting parts from the US, but I think Barneveld Imp recently parted out a 3118.

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:27 pm
by Spike188
Thanks, It looks like all of the All Hydraulic units use the same tank.

I have ordered parts from Bill, and Joe's Outdoor, Boomer, and others. There are ways of getting stuff across the boarder without getting fleeced. I just steer clear of Ami$$$on, Fed$X, UP$.

Spike

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:47 pm
by Timj
I don't know how availability for All Hydraulic specific parts is, haven't needed anything, but there's definitely less. The only thing I have tried to find is the hydraulic motor for the deck. I passed on a new one for $1000+ a couple of years ago, may have been the last one. There was a used one for sale last year for $600, not going to pay that for one that may not be any better than the one I have. Been trying to find a non oem motor that will work.

The condition of your deck motor will be the thing you may not know until you can use it.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:15 am
by Spike188
I received a note from the previous owner about finding some parts. He has not said if they found the tank. :cry:

Spike

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:28 am
by Eugen
It's still amazing that the previous owner is so cooperant. Hopefully they find the tank!

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:55 am
by Spike188
He messaged this morning that the tank has been found along with 1 inspection plate and the missing engine tins.

Spike is happy.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:23 pm
by Eugen
That's great! All of a sudden I"m sure this has become a really good deal! :132: :77:

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:52 pm
by Spike188
Work got in the way this week :141: but will be picking up the missing parts this weekend. :113:

Spike

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:09 pm
by Eugen
In the same boat here. Was a crazy week so far.

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 pm
by Eugen
In the same boat here. Was a crazy week so far.

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:24 pm
by Spike188
4118 had no care, it is had an abusive owner. The pictures say a lot.

Who knows when it last saw the inside of a shed?
877 hrs and dead.jpg
Even a broken leg, before or after the motor was pulled?
a broken leg.jpg
The tree branch was no charge
a branch is free.jpg
Taken apart and stored out doors with no protection.
road hard and thrown away.jpg
Even the hydraulic hoses were left open
stored out doors.jpg
And the motor?
onan in the dirt.jpg
It has found a home fit for the neglected.
I will fit right in..jpg
Can it be returned to Its' former glory.

Spike

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:56 pm
by Timj
:109: what a shame, it's hard to believe that someone would not take better care of an expensive machine like that. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, you see it with cars & trucks too.

Do you think the motor is savable?

I think it can be be restored, but is it resonable to restore. :39:. Are you thinking full restore or functioning working tractor? As much as I like the All Hydraulic's, this is a tough call :124:. I know you're more than capable. :77:

Spike, what is your gut telling you?
Tim

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:43 pm
by Eugen
Oh wow, that's pretty rough, hard not to consider it a parts tractor. But I know that if anyone can bring this one to the land of the living, you can Spike! If you do, I think you'll be the only guy with a 4118 in Ontario!

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:19 am
by Spike188
Does anyone know the differance of the left-hand front spindle on an early model 4118 vs a 4018? The parts manual shows different spindles used for the 3XXX series and 4XXX series and unique spindles within the 4118 production years.
a broken leg.jpg
It might be cheaper to modifie a 40XX spindle than repairing this one.

Take your time in responding. With the sun out this morning and thoughts of spring, I will change over to summer tires on the van and pickup.

Spike

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:56 am
by Timj
That surprises me. I would have thought that spindle would have been the same for both series. 🤔
You know if you change them tires it's going to snow again. :24:
Tim

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:54 am
by Jancoe
Eugene, I do believe the 4100 and 4000 LH spindles are the same. There was a earlier and later version. Both still the same. Only difference was the stopper for turning radius was moved so the later ones allowed a tighter turn. Still the same spindle though. Now the RH one is the special one only for power steering units. The p.s. RH spindle had a different mounting location for the steering cylinder to bolt on.

Evan

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:20 pm
by Doublet
Spike188 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:00 am Picking up a 4118 minus motor this today. It is a hurting unit. It is either a parts tractor or restoration project.
4118.png
Spike
What does a 18 performer engine like goes in the 4118 tractor go for in your area? I have a 4118 that has wiring problems and bad flywheel and or starter. Runs good without smoke or other weird noises. I haven't decided what I am going to do with it yet. Haven't decided to fix it or use engine, pump and power steering off, etc and using them on my 644 loader tractor.

Doublet (Terry)

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:52 pm
by Timj
I did a quick look on marketplace, and the only Onans that came up were generators. So I don't have a guess what they're going for.
Are you looking to part the 4118 out or repower it?

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:19 pm
by Spike188
I purchase the tractor with the idea of using the power steering on the 646bh. After getting the 4118ah home and finding how few were produced, restoration is likely. A total bore and rebuild of that engine will cost about $3,000 CD if new pisons, rods, and valves are needed.

Current plans are to finish the backhoe, then possibly piecing the AH back togather. After checking pump pressure, drive motor, decck motor, power steering system, a decission will be made on total restoration or parting out. Onans from other brands can be found for around $300 - 1200 CD.

This is going to be a slow process as we are doing home interior updates and I continue doing industrial equipment repair. Customers outside a 1 hour radius are being given notice of stopping service. Before 2000 I was putting on 100,000 miles per year. That has cut back to 15,000 but work load has increased to fill the void. To slow that down new callers get quoted triple rate. That seems to be slowing the pace quite well.

Some people won't take no for an answer. But money, money, money, they listen to.

Spike

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:18 pm
by propane1
Hydraulic driven mower deck. ? And hydraulic driven snow thrower on these tractors. I obviously know nothing about them.

Noel

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:49 pm
by Timj
Propane57 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:18 pm Hydraulic driven mower deck. ? And hydraulic driven snow thrower on these tractors. I obviously know nothing about them.

Noel
In 92 & 93 Ingersoll built the All Hydraulic series tractors, there was a 3118, 4116, 4118, 4120, and a diesel version 3118d and. 4118d. They didn't pan out and were dropped. They all had power steering and used a larger two section hydraulic pump. They had a larger hydraulic cooler and no clutch. All attachments were driven hydraulicaly, the only belts used were in the mowers.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:03 am
by propane1
Thanks Timj. I didn’t know any of that. Stay away from those then I guess hehe. I’d say I’m safe here where I live. I doubt if any where sold here.

Ingersoll built a few Massey Ferguson tractors at some point and I don’t know the model number, but we’re they built like that. ?

Noel

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:36 am
by Timj
Propane57 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:03 am Thanks Timj. I didn’t know any of that. Stay away from those then I guess hehe. I’d say I’m safe here where I live. I doubt if any where sold here.

Ingersoll built a few Massey Ferguson tractors at some point and I don’t know the model number, but we’re they built like that. ?

Noel
I have had my 4118 from new. I wouldn't tell anyone to stay away from the All Hydraulic tractors, but definitely know what you're getting into if you get one. Everything costs more and the hydraulic drive motors in the attachments are NLA and hard to replace. Finding one by you would probably be a rare one. I don't know how many were built, but I'm surprised at least six here at CCIGT have one.

The Ingersoll built Massey's we're numbered 2** & 3** GTX like 320GTX. They were a 3000ps or 4000ps with a different hood. They were Kohler powered.
I'll post some pics.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:10 am
by Timj
Screenshot_20220128-074925.png
Screenshot_20220128-075008.png
Ahrm48 mower
KIMG0173.JPG
KIMG0172.JPG
AHSB48 snow caster
KIMG0152.JPG
KIMG0170.JPG

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:54 am
by propane1
Holy cats and Jumpins, those were quite a set up. Kinda different to have hoses and motor under the deck. But looks like a skid plate would be there, but still. Never seen or heard of that before. To bad they didn’t pan out. I’ve only been at Case tractors for about a year and a half now, and have two Case tractors now. So I’m still learning about them.
Thanks Timj for the pictures.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:07 am
by Timj
Propane57 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:54 am Holy cats and Jumpins, those were quite a set up. Kinda different to have hoses and motor under the deck. But looks like a skid plate would be there, but still. Never seen or heard of that before. To bad they didn’t pan out. I’ve only been at Case tractors for about a year and a half now, and have two Case tractors now. So I’m still learning about them.
Thanks Timj for the pictures.

Noel
Yes there is a skid plate.
An upside to the hydraulic attachments is quick change. I lost the connecting link in the chain the other night about a third of the way into blowing the driveway. Didn't have a spare, so less than 5 minutes, blower off, blade on, Back to driveway.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:14 am
by Gordy
[/quote]

An upside to the hydraulic attachments is quick change. I lost the connecting link in the chain the other night about a third of the way into blowing the driveway. Didn't have a spare, so less than 5 minutes, blower off, blade on, Back to driveway.
[/quote]

Make sure the rounded end of the spring clip is facing forward as to the chains rotation. If put on the other way, it does not take much of a chunk of ice, hard packed snow, or pebble to knock the clip off with the speed the chain is moving.

:cheers:
Gordy

<<<<< direction of travel <<<<<
image.png

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:23 pm
by Timj
Gordy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:14 am
[/quote]

Make sure the rounded end of the spring clip is facing forward as to the chains rotation. If put on the other way, it does not take much of a chunk of ice, hard packed snow, or pebble to knock the clip off with the speed the chain is moving.

:cheers:
Gordy

<<<<< direction of travel <<<<<

image.png
[/quote]
Ha ha Gordy, I was going to check mine to see if I did it right when I shortened my chain. But I didn't :headbash: and now we know the answer, Stu put it on backwards. :blush: oh well, I had one at the shop and it's on right this time. :78:

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:56 pm
by MattA
The nice thing with the AHSB48 snowcaster is that you can fab up a mounting bracket mount it to your loader instead of the bucket. This allows you to take out some serious snow drifts. I have pics somewhere I saved years ago of this setup.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:59 pm
by MattA
Spike - Provided the 4100 series larger hydraulic pump fits your snowblower tractor, the added flow rate would help throw more snow a larger distance plus it gives you more hydraulic horsepower.