Aged hydraulic hoses

Discussions on restoring tractors.
JSinMO United States of America

Re: Aged hydraulic hoses

Post by JSinMO »

keith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:59 pm
JSinMO wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:39 pm
keith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:38 pm
Good thinking Dave, just put that on the list. I think I read someplace there's a bolt that should be upgraded to a stronger grade. I'll be searching for it in the near future and change it at the same time. Hopefully it's not a difficult task. :cheers:

Im thinking your talking about the ones that bolt the gear halves together in the rear end.
On my 648 and 446 I just inspected them and made sure they were tight.

IMG_2455.jpeg
IMG_2456.jpeg
I think you can just see them on the left on the big gear.
If I remember there are 4 of them.
Thanks JSinMO, that looks like a pretty tight area to get tools in there. Should I do a diesel fuel rinse prior to new oil change? I'm thinking I remember a post of Eugen's about doing this very process.
:cheers:
There’s just enough room to get a wrench in there to make sure the bolts are tight. If you want to change them or if you find a broken one the rear end has to come apart to replace them.

Flushing it out with diesel is a good idea. I would drain it and see how much sludge is in the bottom. :thumbsup:
keith Canada

Post by keith »

JSinMO wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:17 pm
keith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:59 pm
JSinMO wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:39 pm

Im thinking your talking about the ones that bolt the gear halves together in the rear end.
On my 648 and 446 I just inspected them and made sure they were tight.

IMG_2455.jpeg
IMG_2456.jpeg
I think you can just see them on the left on the big gear.
If I remember there are 4 of them.
Thanks JSinMO, that looks like a pretty tight area to get tools in there. Should I do a diesel fuel rinse prior to new oil change? I'm thinking I remember a post of Eugen's about doing this very process.
:cheers:
There’s just enough room to get a wrench in there to make sure the bolts are tight. If you want to change them or if you find a broken one the rear end has to come apart to replace them.

Flushing it out with diesel is a good idea. I would drain it and see how much sludge is in the bottom. :thumbsup:
Ok, I did my homework on the axel carrier and it's a huge problem for some. The 4 bolts that hold the two halves together break off and pieces of them get caught between the carrier and bottom of the housing resulting in a puncture . It is recommended to remove the housing from the frame and pull the axle shafts out. Then remove the carrier and replace the four bolts from grade five to grade eight. Also recommended is new seals and bushings because removal of axel shafts may damage them. This carrier bolt problem is addressed on other forums in great detail using google search.

In my case, I'll probably do it at the same time I drain the hydraulic system and rear diff. Thinking I'm gonna have a full tractor overhaul by the time I fix all the gremlins :)
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

When you consider how old these tractors are already , these repairs are a one time thing . Most people will never do these repairs again in their life time . :cheers:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder