Page 1 of 1

Aged hydraulic hoses

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:56 pm
by keith
Well, one of my hydraulic hoses is leaking and I was wondering if you guys think it might be a good time to change them all to avoid more problems.
The hoses are original to my knowledge and the GT is a 1979. Also the soft one that connects to the cooling rad is the leaking one and the system is now making a noise when driving or using the mid cylinder. The oil in the hydraulic system was flushed and changed in the fall and is 5" from the top of the tank.
:cheers:

Re: Aged hydraulic hoses

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:24 pm
by DavidBarkey
If they are all original , ie the same age yes I would do all. The hose at the cooler "looks" like heater hose to most ,it is not . You must get single wire hydraulic return/suction hose and reuse you old clamps if possible . Standard hose clamps won't hold . If you need to replace them or if the wrong one are on there thus the leak you need to get these kind .
image.png
image.png
image.png
You may want to contact one of our supplier on here for the 2 molded hoses that go to the tank .
As for the noise it is making that is cavitation and that is most likely from the oil being low and sucking air . Not knowing what tank you have the 5" measurement mean nothing to me

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:57 pm
by keith
Thanks Dave, the tank is the plastic one where the battery rests on top. :cheers:

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:39 pm
by CaseIngersollNE
Yes we highly recommend changing them all as they have a life and most times if one fails more will follow and depending on the hose but sometimes with th oil you lose you could have bought a fe more new hoses lol. We have all most any hose in stock ready to ship at caseingersolltractors.com send us a email for shipping to Canada we ship 6 days a week. Message, email or call with any questions. Ryan

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:49 pm
by DavidBarkey
keith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:57 pm Thanks Dave, the tank is the plastic one where the battery rests on top. :cheers:
The level is correct for that tank . What oil are you running ? Is there any foaming in the oil when running ?

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:26 pm
by keith
CaseIngersollNE wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:39 pm Yes we highly recommend changing them all as they have a life and most times if one fails more will follow and depending on the hose but sometimes with th oil you lose you could have bought a fe more new hoses lol. We have all most any hose in stock ready to ship at caseingersolltractors.com send us a email for shipping to Canada we ship 6 days a week. Message, email or call with any questions. Ryan
Thanks for your advice Ryan. There hasn't been much oil lost due to lack of snow this winter so not much run time . So far it's only the one hose leaking actually slow dripping and I put a temporary patch on it.
Most likely be contacting you after the beginning of April about this. :cheers:

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:50 pm
by keith
DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:49 pm
keith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:57 pm Thanks Dave, the tank is the plastic one where the battery rests on top. :cheers:
The level is correct for that tank . What oil are you running ? Is there any foaming in the oil when running ?
Dave, the oil used is Castrol edge 5w50 synthetic. I'll check tomorrow if it's foaming. Good question, never thought about that thanks. I did notice when I flushed the tank that there was something in the bottom but was hardened and would not even scrape off. Not sure what it is.
Could it be caused from oil in the tank that was overheated? Also it came with very little oil in the tank when I bought it. Not sure how long it sat with a blown engine.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:36 am
by DavidBarkey
keith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:50 pm
Dave, the oil used is Castrol edge 5w50 synthetic. I'll check tomorrow if it's foaming. Good question, never thought about that thanks. I did notice when I flushed the tank that there was something in the bottom but was hardened and would not even scrape off. Not sure what it is.
Could it be caused from oil in the tank that was overheated? Also it came with very little oil in the tank when I bought it. Not sure how long it sat with a blown engine.
I am using the same weight oil with no problems . If that has come loose and blocking the intake hose to the pump would cause a problem . What hose is leaking and how did you patch it ? When is it leaking . using it or sitting ? The other thing is can you upload a video with sound of the noise you are getting . Two main noise from a Hydralic system are from cavitation and releaf valve . Both have different causes.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:26 am
by CaseIngersollNE
keith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:26 pm
CaseIngersollNE wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:39 pm Yes we highly recommend changing them all as they have a life and most times if one fails more will follow and depending on the hose but sometimes with th oil you lose you could have bought a fe more new hoses lol. We have all most any hose in stock ready to ship at caseingersolltractors.com send us a email for shipping to Canada we ship 6 days a week. Message, email or call with any questions. Ryan
Thanks for your advice Ryan. There hasn't been much oil lost due to lack of snow this winter so not much run time . So far it's only the one hose leaking actually slow dripping and I put a temporary patch on it.
Most likely be contacting you after the beginning of April about this. :cheers:
Sounds good, what I meant when saying losing oil was when a hose blows you will have gallon so oil n the ground in a matter of seconds, Not necessarily "leaks" . Seen many times someone replaces only one hose to have a old one blow. Its like a chain hydraulics will find the weakest "link" Talk soon.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:00 pm
by keith
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:36 am
keith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:50 pm

I am using the same weight oil with no problems . If that has come loose and blocking the intake hose to the pump would cause a problem . What hose is leaking and how did you patch it ? When is it leaking . using it or sitting ? The other thing is can you upload a video with sound of the noise you are getting . Two main noise from a Hydralic system are from cavitation and releaf valve . Both have different causes.
The upper hose to the heat exchanger is the culprit. The patch is a piece of bicycle tube doubled over with 2 gear clamps. I really had to clear the driveway that day. The answers to your other questions I'm sorry, will have to wait because of high winds and rain that came down quite heavy today. Thank you guys for your help!

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm
by keith
Well I warmed up the GT today and drove it around and raised and lowered the plow blade numerous times and no strange sounds or major leakage.
It's been quite some time since I last used it to move snow when the hydraulics were making a squealing noise and then I just remembered that the oil level was just a little under the 6" mark at that time. So it was topped up to the 5"mark back then, so maybe that's the issue I had. Today I also checked for foaming as Dave recommended and there was none.

When I first brought the GT home I removed the engine for the rebuild and really wanted to replace the hoses and repair any thing else that looked suspicious but had already used up the budget. So its should be done now. If anyone can think of anything else to look for or change while the engine is going to be out please feel free to give me a heads up.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm
by DavidBarkey
Rear transaxle oil if not already done .

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:53 am
by Harry
Have you looked at the center axle pin? 👍✌️Harry

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:38 pm
by keith
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm Rear transaxle oil if not already done .
Good thinking Dave, just put that on the list. I think I read someplace there's a bolt that should be upgraded to a stronger grade. I'll be searching for it in the near future and change it at the same time. Hopefully it's not a difficult task. :cheers:

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:44 pm
by keith
Harry wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:53 am Have you looked at the center axle pin? 👍✌️Harry
Thanks for the heads up on that Harry. The po of the GT said he changed that already and I needed to tighten it to stop the play. I think that's probably the only thing that was fixed on the tractor by the looks of it.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:58 pm
by keith
When the engine is removed is there anything back of, around or under that I should be looking for that's easier to replace when the engine is out of the way? I remember seeing worn travel linkage that needs attention.
If anyone could pass on more ideas I'd appreciate it, thanks. :cheers:

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:10 pm
by DavidBarkey
keith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:58 pm When the engine is removed is there anything back of, around or under that I should be looking for that's easier to replace when the engine is out of the way? I remember seeing worn travel linkage that needs attention.
#5 wares and and upgrade the link kit between the lever and the valve. any one of our suppliers can help you out with these.
image.png

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:39 pm
by JSinMO
keith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:38 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm Rear transaxle oil if not already done .
Good thinking Dave, just put that on the list. I think I read someplace there's a bolt that should be upgraded to a stronger grade. I'll be searching for it in the near future and change it at the same time. Hopefully it's not a difficult task. :cheers:

Im thinking your talking about the ones that bolt the gear halves together in the rear end.
On my 648 and 446 I just inspected them and made sure they were tight.
IMG_2455.jpeg
IMG_2456.jpeg
I think you can just see them on the left on the big gear.
If I remember there are 4 of them.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:53 pm
by keith
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:10 pm
keith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:58 pm When the engine is removed is there anything back of, around or under that I should be looking for that's easier to replace when the engine is out of the way? I remember seeing worn travel linkage that needs attention.
#5 wares and and upgrade the link kit between the lever and the valve. any one of our suppliers can help you out with these.
image.png
Wow, that's the kind of suggestions I'm looking for. Thanks Dave, you're the best. That is probably a good thing to change and is now on my to do list. :cheers:

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:59 pm
by keith
JSinMO wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:39 pm

Im thinking your talking about the ones that bolt the gear halves together in the rear end.

IMG_2455.jpeg
IMG_2456.jpeg
Thanks JSinMO, that looks like a pretty tight area to get tools in there. Should I do a diesel fuel rinse prior to new oil change? I'm thinking I remember a post of Eugen's about doing this very process.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:17 pm
by JSinMO
keith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:59 pm

IMG_2455.jpeg
IMG_2456.jpeg
Thanks JSinMO, that looks like a pretty tight area to get tools in there. Should I do a diesel fuel rinse prior to new oil change? I'm thinking I remember a post of Eugen's about doing this very process.
There’s just enough room to get a wrench in there to make sure the bolts are tight. If you want to change them or if you find a broken one the rear end has to come apart to replace them.

Flushing it out with diesel is a good idea. I would drain it and see how much sludge is in the bottom. :thumbsup:

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:25 am
by keith
JSinMO wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:17 pm
keith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:59 pm

IMG_2455.jpeg
IMG_2456.jpeg
There’s just enough room to get a wrench in there to make sure the bolts are tight. If you want to change them or if you find a broken one the rear end has to come apart to replace them.

Flushing it out with diesel is a good idea. I would drain it and see how much sludge is in the bottom. :thumbsup:
Ok, I did my homework on the axel carrier and it's a huge problem for some. The 4 bolts that hold the two halves together break off and pieces of them get caught between the carrier and bottom of the housing resulting in a puncture . It is recommended to remove the housing from the frame and pull the axle shafts out. Then remove the carrier and replace the four bolts from grade five to grade eight. Also recommended is new seals and bushings because removal of axel shafts may damage them. This carrier bolt problem is addressed on other forums in great detail using google search.

In my case, I'll probably do it at the same time I drain the hydraulic system and rear diff. Thinking I'm gonna have a full tractor overhaul by the time I fix all the gremlins :)

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:52 am
by DavidBarkey
When you consider how old these tractors are already , these repairs are a one time thing . Most people will never do these repairs again in their life time . :cheers: