Aged hydraulic hoses

Discussions on restoring tractors.
keith Canada

Re: Aged hydraulic hoses

Post by keith »

Well I warmed up the GT today and drove it around and raised and lowered the plow blade numerous times and no strange sounds or major leakage.
It's been quite some time since I last used it to move snow when the hydraulics were making a squealing noise and then I just remembered that the oil level was just a little under the 6" mark at that time. So it was topped up to the 5"mark back then, so maybe that's the issue I had. Today I also checked for foaming as Dave recommended and there was none.

When I first brought the GT home I removed the engine for the rebuild and really wanted to replace the hoses and repair any thing else that looked suspicious but had already used up the budget. So its should be done now. If anyone can think of anything else to look for or change while the engine is going to be out please feel free to give me a heads up.
:cheers:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Rear transaxle oil if not already done .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Have you looked at the center axle pin? 👍✌️Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
keith Canada

Post by keith »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm Rear transaxle oil if not already done .
Good thinking Dave, just put that on the list. I think I read someplace there's a bolt that should be upgraded to a stronger grade. I'll be searching for it in the near future and change it at the same time. Hopefully it's not a difficult task. :cheers:
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Harry wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:53 am Have you looked at the center axle pin? 👍✌️Harry
Thanks for the heads up on that Harry. The po of the GT said he changed that already and I needed to tighten it to stop the play. I think that's probably the only thing that was fixed on the tractor by the looks of it.
keith Canada

Post by keith »

When the engine is removed is there anything back of, around or under that I should be looking for that's easier to replace when the engine is out of the way? I remember seeing worn travel linkage that needs attention.
If anyone could pass on more ideas I'd appreciate it, thanks. :cheers:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

keith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:58 pm When the engine is removed is there anything back of, around or under that I should be looking for that's easier to replace when the engine is out of the way? I remember seeing worn travel linkage that needs attention.
#5 wares and and upgrade the link kit between the lever and the valve. any one of our suppliers can help you out with these.
image.png
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

keith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:38 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm Rear transaxle oil if not already done .
Good thinking Dave, just put that on the list. I think I read someplace there's a bolt that should be upgraded to a stronger grade. I'll be searching for it in the near future and change it at the same time. Hopefully it's not a difficult task. :cheers:

Im thinking your talking about the ones that bolt the gear halves together in the rear end.
On my 648 and 446 I just inspected them and made sure they were tight.
IMG_2455.jpeg
IMG_2456.jpeg
I think you can just see them on the left on the big gear.
If I remember there are 4 of them.
keith Canada

Post by keith »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:10 pm
keith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:58 pm When the engine is removed is there anything back of, around or under that I should be looking for that's easier to replace when the engine is out of the way? I remember seeing worn travel linkage that needs attention.
#5 wares and and upgrade the link kit between the lever and the valve. any one of our suppliers can help you out with these.
image.png
Wow, that's the kind of suggestions I'm looking for. Thanks Dave, you're the best. That is probably a good thing to change and is now on my to do list. :cheers:
keith Canada

Post by keith »

JSinMO wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:39 pm
keith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:38 pm

Im thinking your talking about the ones that bolt the gear halves together in the rear end.
On my 648 and 446 I just inspected them and made sure they were tight.

IMG_2455.jpeg
IMG_2456.jpeg
I think you can just see them on the left on the big gear.
If I remember there are 4 of them.
Thanks JSinMO, that looks like a pretty tight area to get tools in there. Should I do a diesel fuel rinse prior to new oil change? I'm thinking I remember a post of Eugen's about doing this very process.