What would you do?

If you have something to sell, or you seek, or you see something for sale out there and want to post it here to help your fellow members, it goes here.
ssmewing United States of America

What would you do?

Post by ssmewing »

I was first known on the forums as ssmewing, and then later, I became Hemlock Case Guy.

So, as Hemlock Case Guy, I have fixed an endless line of tractors. Most were no quotes, but I will tell you how it is going. I call it going down the rabbit hole. But, you truly can have no idea what you are going to see when you know what you are seeing. That was fun for me. Puzzles, and I get paid! Sign> Me> Up>.

I have not been getting things done as fast as I should. I have physical and mental issues. But every day, I get up and see how I do that day, and I try not to think about the day before. The only thing is that when you see your day before, you make it so that people must wait too long. It is not fair, and I see it as not meeting expectations. So, I am finishing one last tractor for the moment.

I am not stopping at all. I have my 648 that needs some work still. I tore the engine apart and freshened that up. I figured out why the bucket dump freely flopped open. The cupped cylinder seal was all in the only Case/Ingersoll with a cleanable hydraulic filter. Now that it is mostly peaceful occupations, I have to fix the bypass setting at only 1,600 psi. How it lived its life at a dealership with that low of a bypass, I do not understand. That and the detent balls on the float for the 3-point are sticky.

Re: What would you do?

Post by ssmewing »

I have a 1975 646 that is mostly in good shape, except for the few things that are not and are the opposite of peaceful.

I have a perfectly good new short block; all I have to do to the new block is match the crankshafts. The carb will need to be rebuilt. It did start and run well. The engine just had so little resistance to cranking. It was like listening to a sewing machine when you started it. Then, it had very little toughness at the engine when challenged. I have a banana plate kit, which means all the wear items are ready to put in. That is where it is sitting. With a battery and fresh fuel, I can start and drive it.

I also have a lot of goodies. I have an HH34, four of the wheel weights, wheel spacers for 15x10 rims, and 29x12.50x15 turf tires filled with Rim Guard. There are other things I may be forgetting. I can easily sell all these things individually, or I could give the Case 646 buyer dibs on the goodies.

The other thing I am conflicted about is painting. I know how to prep correctly for paint. That means you know how to paint since prepping is way more work than painting.

What extras should accompany Case 646 other than replacing the short block and setting the tractor up to work properly?
Seabee United States of America

Post by Seabee »

Well Steve, you sound like my way of doing things recently. I am 74 years old. Last year starting in mid February I got Covid, 2 weeks later My left leg from the groin down to my LH foot was filled with Blood Clots and some trash in my lungs. They thought it because I had Covid and that was common. Next week they operated to take the clots out of that leg because they weren't disolving. Following week, I was cleared to do about whatever I wanted to do. Didn't feel for crap! 15 days later I had a heart attack (May 5th)! Did I say that someplace along there They declared me to be Asthmatic as well.

I had a lot of projects planned for the summer of 2023. Didn't feel like doing anything, so for the next few months I went swimming, I went to Physical rehab. I still felt like crap! I still am not where I should be, but at least I feel good enough for a few hours each day to further the cause! The 4118 I have been working on for 6 years is now within a couple of hours of being done!

Then the 4020 that I was going to do last year, after I parked 2 years ago, is in the schedule after the 4118. I might actually get that one done this year,also.

Just take it one day at a time. MY friend who helps me thinks I need to sell my Studebaker Avanti , and a bunch of my Case and Case Ingersoll items. He thinks I came close enough to leave a real mess for my wife. My Pulmynologist told me that I would have never made it to the Emergency room with my Heart Attack if It hadn't been for the blood clots a couple of weeks earlier. Because of the clots they had me on blood thinners. They, also, feel the Heart Attack was Covid related.

So yes, Things will happen when they should this summer, But I am spending time just putzzing around!

Bill Moyer
Bill Moyer
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@ssmewing Maybe a question to ask is, what do you want to do? I don’t get the feeling that you want to quit working on tractors, but if you do there’s nothing wrong with that.
If you want to keep working on stuff then it’s a question of how to do it in a way that will work for you. It’s much easier said than done but try and let go of the pressure you feel over expected timeframes. If you only get a little done in a day so what? Isn’t the point to enjoy the work that is part of solving the puzzle?

These are just thoughts that came to me after reading your post. I mean them to be supportive and I hope they are taken as such. @Seabee has it right, “Just take it one day at a time”.
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

It sounds to me like you guys are reading my mail. I have been having some medical concerns myself. When I speak to my siblings about it they always say, you know what Dad said, “just keep moving”. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

I echo much the same here. All of my home projects were put on back burner the past 4 years. Over the past months energy levels, and respatory issues have cleared up. All CCI projects stopped in August 2021. My favorite project is a 646BH restore.
20240504_103454.jpg
I This frame has not been touched since June 2021. Around that time my Dr said, " Have you ever thought that you might be getting old?" Before leaving her office I said " Have you ever thought you might be stressed and need to cut back on your practice?" She listened, cut back, and kept me.

Here is to a productive and healthy summer to us all!
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I echo your comment here Spike. Heres to a very productive 2024. :cheers: I am getting older but I’m not ready to give up on my projects. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226

Post by ssmewing »

:drink: I will drink to that, even though I don't drink much anymore.

I dream of living in a tropical place with cooling breezes, where I would open a margarita bar called the Salty Rim. It also has to be nice, but I am rich enough not to care about how much money I have made. I only want it to be a happy place for all who come.