Hello from S.W. Ontario

Please introduce yourself, your location, interests, etc.
Eugen Canada

Re: Hello from S.W. Ontario

Post by Eugen »

@steadfast hoe far are you free Toronto? There was a guy in Uxbridge selling all kinds of Case parts, I can ask him if he has a sleeve hitch if that's what you're looking for.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
steadfast Canada

Post by steadfast »

OI am just west of London. Yes ask him
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

This is what he said "Hi, all is well here hopefully the same for you. Sorry I do not have one, I’ve got a bunch of hydraulic lines and 2 gas tanks left and a few steering components. I have sold everything else. "
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Checked my parts tractor and have the main part of the sleeve hitch. The bar connecting it to the hydraulic actuator is missing but fairly easy to fab. It's a spare for me, looks like you need it more than I if you want it.

It's missing the lift lever extension and lift arm.
78769384-8C17-4516-BCAA-6008AF2E014F.jpeg
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Steadfast , you are defiantly part of the meen age group . With your back ground a lot of it will be pretty easy once you access the service manuals .
The big wheel tractor are know for being abused because they can do so much. That being said there is a could things you need to look at . The rear axle carrier bolts can snap . These should be replaced with new grade 8 - 3/8" unf bolts and locking nuts loc-tighted in place . Also have a close look at the frame where the rear trans axle bolts on for cracks . Very fixable but may need attended to . I call on some of other members that maybe have pics of these issues so you can make short work of them . There are member that have Case / Colt tractors as old as you and I . I myself am rebuilding a Case 446 right now, have restored 222 and Frankie a 446 loader on steriods . Happy hydro's :creeper:

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

@Eugen and @steadfast If you guys make a deal on the sleeve hitch I could pick it up from Eugen and bring it back to Ayr. I will also be working near Belmont about 15 minutes form London this week and in Windsor sometime in the next 4 weeks when parts arrive. Eugen knows the drill.

As far as the differential bolts go, they are available through Speanur in Kitchener. I replace them as standard procedure when doing a restoration. Wheel seals are also available through local bearing suppliers.

Steering sectors have shims that that can be flipped and will tighten the fit up a bit "sometimes:. The sectors are the same on 200 series tractors that often haven't seen the hard life that 400 series have seen.
20190928_135034.jpg
This was my first attempt at a full restoration.

Spike
Just 10,000 reasons why the 646bh restoration isn't finished.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
steadfast Canada

Post by steadfast »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:10 pm Steadfast , you are defiantly part of the meen age group . With your back ground a lot of it will be pretty easy once you access the service manuals .
The big wheel tractor are know for being abused because they can do so much. That being said there is a could things you need to look at . The rear axle carrier bolts can snap . These should be replaced with new grade 8 - 3/8" unf bolts and locking nuts loc-tighted in place . Also have a close look at the frame where the rear trans axle bolts on for cracks . Very fixable but may need attended to . I call on some of other members that maybe have pics of these issues so you can make short work of them . There are member that have Case / Colt tractors as old as you and I . I myself am rebuilding a Case 446 right now, have restored 222 and Frankie a 446 loader on steriods . Happy hydro's :creeper:

Dave
Hi Dave. Thanks for everything. I contacted a parts dealer in Michigan and ordered a sleeve hitch. Apparently the Tractor frame was made longer in '78 and there are two different part numbers. Also will be contacting a guy named Dan Haas as he makes the front axle pivot pins.
Where are the rear axle carrier bolts? Picture...
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

https://manuals.ccigt.com/More/Model-446-p29.pdf item 34 on page 25. Bolt 3/8 X 5" NF grade 8
carrier bolts.jpg

Spike
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

steadfast wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:28 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:10 pm Steadfast , you are defiantly part of the meen age group . With your back ground a lot of it will be pretty easy once you access the service manuals .

Dave
Hi Dave. Thanks for everything. I contacted a parts dealer in Michigan and ordered a sleeve hitch. Apparently the Tractor frame was made longer in '78 and there are two different part numbers. Also will be contacting a guy named Dan Haas as he makes the front axle pivot pins.
Where are the rear axle carrier bolts? Picture...
Here's a link from the old group about the carrier bolts and some of the damage that can be done. others have had the sheered off nut and bolt catch between the bottom of the gears and the housing. This busts out the housing, but they are cast steel NOT cast iron so can be relatively easy to welded.
https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/threa ... ate.93506/

Here's a link showing the common breaking point of the frame on the 4xx's.
https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/threa ... ost-758852

:cheers:
Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I have to thank you guys for mentioning the carrier bolts, as I never checked or replaced them on any of my tractors. Does anyone know what the torque should be on these bolts? Or do you use typical table values like 180 lbs for "lubricated conditions" of 5/8 bolts UNF ?

@steadfast glad you found sources for the items you were looking for already.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E