Bill from Coldwater, Michigan

Please introduce yourself, your location, interests, etc.
Seabee United States of America

Bill from Coldwater, Michigan

Post by Seabee »

I have been having navigation issues and just friendly usage issues with the old site every since the change over several months back. Issues that should have been corrected almost instantly still linger and nobody but the members seem to care.

I will be changing as much over as I can in the next few weeks/months.

I have 2 448's, one 4020 that I use and a 4118 that I am redoing currently. It seems as thou the more redoing I do, the more I knick up the new paint. I was going to restore it. Now I have decided that I am just doing a heck of a rework on the machine. I have put lots of money and time into it, but I wouldn't feel honest to call it a restore. Time will tell shortly.

I also own the 13th production Studebaker Avanti, 4 speed and supercharged, front disc brakes, Bucket seats, and built in Roll bar. Produced in June of 1962 as a 1963 model year car. Fiberglass body, 4 passenger.

I operated fertilizer plants in Ohio and In Michigan. Currently a crop consultant in Mid to lower Michgan.

Bill Moyer (Avanti 1013, Seabee), you are bound to see at least one of these on here!
Bill Moyer
Eugen Canada

Re: Bill from Coldwater, Michigan

Post by Eugen »

A warm welcome from me here, Bill. I have enjoyed your posts and contributions on the other site. It is a sad development with the new management there, therefore we hope to make a great site here, friendly and knowledgeable community! Hope you enjoy your experience here and by all means if you have suggestions on how to improve the forum I'll do whatever I can to address them.

:cheers:

Eugen - runner of Case 644, 446, and site
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Hi Bill,
Welcome aboard. With your absence on the other board,I was starting to fear you had done a Gator (passed away) on us :(( Glad to see you are OK.

Gordy
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

Bill, Seebee, Welcome to CCIGT. Your input on the other site was always something I enjoyed. Like a Colt, Case, or Ingersoll, we want to build this site to outlast us. As Eugen said, If there is anything we can do to make the site better let us know and we will try to work on it. :creeper:

Spike (Eugene with an e)
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Welcome Bill, :wave: glad to have you here. :highfive: I look forward to having "Seabee" involved in our tractor talk. A little post on your 4118's journey would be nice.
:geek: Tim
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Seabee United States of America

Post by Seabee »

Well Tim,

We will be working on the engine tomorrow. Hopefully far enough we can see if we have fire, or not. I have owned this tractor for about 3 1/2 years and still don't know if it will run, or not. It was a cold day in December when I brought it home from Indianapolis (3 hour drive for me to Southern Michigan). The owner offered to start it for me before we loaded it. Said he would have to jump start it directly to the starter to get it to go. It had one of the John Deere type fixes to Onan's to start better. I said "let's just push it on the trailer and tie it down. With that I left for Michigan! I still don't know whether it will start! He did offer to sell the Snow Blower to me for $900 before I left. Nope!

When I got home I removed the hood and fenders, so I could easily paint them. So there it set until it warmed up in the spring. At which time I painted the Hood and fenders (down to 3 years ago)!

Boy do I have a list of the parts and repairs I have made to that thing! I originally was interested in the 4118 because I was wanting to put hydraulics on the back of my 4020. I figured I could buy the 4118 for the price of a under seat Hydraulic system, and part out the tractor. Then Bryan came along and told me the pumps were different, and the porting/valving was different, and oh crap! I might as well restore the danged thing and sell it!

So we started tearing the thing down about 2 1/2 years ago. And my wife went one winter since then w/o being able to put her car into the garage. Now because our heating system originates in the garage it is relatively warm in the winter and you can work in your shirt sleeves out there (or melt the ice off of her car). In the past 3 years, Brian, Bill, and I have exchanged a lot of parts for that tractor, and my painting skills are not up to what they were 4 years ago when I completed the HS 448.

I have decided that I will call it a renewal, rather than a restoration. Looks nice, but not a restoration!

I gather from the looks above I can post pictures? How many at a time? I have taken lots and lot of pictures as I have torn things down and put them back together. While I haven't had fire in the hold yet, I suspect it will go if we get all the wires where they belong. What would normally be the Electric clutch side of the Onan was leaking oil, so I put a new bearing and seal onto the crank, and a new seal onto the plate on the end. It does have good compression, and we set the valves. With a new coil and plugs, and condenser, repaired wire loom, I see no reason It won't start someday soon!

Better quit for the night! I will post more in a few days, if I can get to it. Still trying to work a real job. Had shoulder surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago so it is a good thing my helper(for the tractor) is still showing up!

Bill Moyer (seabee)
Bill Moyer
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Welcome to the forum Bill. Post up some pictures when you have time.
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Welcome aboard Bill. Glad to see you here . This site has currently fewer members but is a much nicer place to be like the old sight use to be when I first started with these GTs.
Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
ssmewing United States of America

Post by ssmewing »

Gordy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:02 pm Hi Bill,
Welcome aboard. With your absence on the other board,I was starting to fear you had done a Gator (passed away) on us :(( Glad to see you are OK.

Gordy
Gator passed? Sorry to hear that. I have had dealings with him in the past and he certainly will be missed. I even sent him 6 D10's on a pallet once.

The man who had the most knowledge and paper history of this whole tractor line passed earlier this year, Tom Arnold. Some of us have tried to get information on what is going to happen with his unknown collection, he kept that private, and any other history. We have all tried to search for information on his estate. So, far, nothing.
ssmewing United States of America

Post by ssmewing »

Welcome to the group.

It is young. But, it is original in its build compared to the original site way back when everyone got along and just the founders owned the site.

I had never realized that you were in the same state as I am.