Hello. New case 444 owner

Please introduce yourself, your location, interests, etc.
vicv07 Canada

Re: Hello. New case 444 owner

Post by vicv07 »

Thanks. The problem for me is no shop to work on it. I'll figure something out in the fall. So far this year I've been using a push mower due to deck issues but I'll get it figured out.
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Welcome to the forum. Startup a post for the mower deck if you need help.
Ingersoll 4016
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

vicv07 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:57 am Thanks. The problem for me is no shop to work on it. I'll figure something out in the fall. So far this year I've been using a push mower due to deck issues but I'll get it figured out.
Let me guess, a green one?

Same problem here with the workshop. I have a tiny 12x9 shop so full of stuff that it's impossible to do anything in there. I setup one of those 20x12 portable garages hoping to use it as a work area and it quickly filled up too. Terrible disease I have, hoarding :pullhair:. We wanted to have a 2 car garage built this year but prices of materials went up almost 400%. Insane. My good wife knows that I need to be able to work even a few minutes a week on something tractor related for mental health :D so I do some work outside if the weather allows.

Vic, if the engine runs well now no need to rebuild. If you run a wire brush all over the head, and piston top, that should be fine. I think you can have preignition due to big carbon build up too. The rings and cylinder might just be fine. Someone said on a machinist forum that in his experience of rebuilding hundreds of Kohler small engines like this, it's the valves and guides that most often is the problem before the cylinder and rings. True or not, I don't know. I usually listen carefully to what people with experience have to say.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

vicv07 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:57 am Thanks. The problem for me is no shop to work on it. I'll figure something out in the fall. So far this year I've been using a push mower due to deck issues but I'll get it figured out.
Let me guess, a green one?

Same problem here with the workshop. I have a tiny 12x9 shop so full of stuff that it's impossible to do anything in there. I setup one of those 20x12 portable garages hoping to use it as a work area and it quickly filled up too. Terrible disease I have, hoarding :pullhair:. We wanted to have a 2 car garage built this year but prices of materials went up almost 400%. Insane. My good wife knows that I need to be able to work even a few minutes a week on something tractor related for mental health :D so I do some work outside if the weather allows.

Vic, if the engine runs well now no need to rebuild. If you run a wire brush all over the head, and piston top, that should be fine. I think you can have preignition due to big carbon build up too. The rings and cylinder might just be fine. Someone said on a machinist forum that in his experience of rebuilding hundreds of Kohler small engines like this, it's the valves and guides that most often is the problem before the cylinder and rings. True or not, I don't know. I usually listen carefully to what people with experience have to say.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
vicv07 Canada

Post by vicv07 »

Oh no I feel like I'm being stalked! Lol. Yes a green on. A lawn boy.
The engine runs well but had insane blowby so Id definitely say it needs rings. I did clean up the combustion chamber and flattened the head. New carb and valve adjustment. Could use new valves and recut seats but it works. These things happen after 50+ years
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

vicv07 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:37 am Oh no I feel like I'm being stalked! Lol. Yes a green on. A lawn boy.
We actually spoke in private on MTF and your post about the lawn boy got my attention because I have an old lawn boy that I like a lot too. I'll post a picture when I get around it. :highfive:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
vicv07 Canada

Post by vicv07 »

oh I recognized you. I also have another "weed eater" brand 4 stroke push mower that works well. But I could never understand why they bothered putting valves in the motor. Seems like a way to overcomplicate a perfectly engineered engine
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

Vicv07,

I am picking up 3 parts tractors this week that should have usable deck parts that might make your repairs simpler.

Spike
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
vicv07 Canada

Post by vicv07 »

thank you spike. I've had a Kijiji post going for a month looking for parts machines and have not got a hit. I am jealous