New 444 Owner with some questions (Southern Ontario)

Please introduce yourself, your location, interests, etc.
turboff Canada

New 444 Owner with some questions (Southern Ontario)

Post by turboff »

Hey all,
I am now an owner of a new to me 444. According to the serial number it is from 1972.
I bought it at a trailer center where the machine was traded in by the original owner...it is in great shape! I am going to add an hour meter and voltmeter and maybe a steering wheel knob for now. It came with a 60" deck and 54" dozer blade, along with a hilariously small little trailer! Going to use it to clear snow and mow my 1.5 acre property. Just ordered some 8-16 tire chains (couldn't find any locally...) and hopefully that will give me the traction I need to move some snow around...my property has a very slight grade, so I am going to look for a holding valve.

I have a few questions:
-Do the factory turf tires have tubes in them? I am wondering if I will have to order tubes to add some ballast weight...Does running with ballast inside the tires tear up the lawn in the spring? because if it does I may just add some weights on the rear hitch instead.

-The 60" deck says "J4..something" in the model number tag...Will this work on the 444? I know later years have the engines flipped around which can cause issues with using the deck. I'll also need to source a belt for the pulley.

-Even with the brake on I can push the tractor...is there a way to adjust the brake so that it actually acts as a parking brake?

With the factory turf tires it could barely get up my slushy driveway..Hoping the chains will help with that. Of course we're supposed to be getting major snow today into tomorrow so I will probably have to shovel the driveway by hand..again :hitsfan:

Many thanks! :creeper:
Eugen Canada

Re: New 444 Owner with some questions (Southern Ontario)

Post by Eugen »

turboff wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:26 pm Hey all,
I am now an owner of a new to me 444. According to the serial number it is from 1972.
I bought it at a trailer center where the machine was traded in by the original owner...it is in great shape! I am going to add an hour meter and voltmeter and maybe a steering wheel knob for now. It came with a 60" deck and 54" dozer blade, along with a hilariously small little trailer! Going to use it to clear snow and mow my 1.5 acre property. Just ordered some 8-16 tire chains (couldn't find any locally...) and hopefully that will give me the traction I need to move some snow around...my property has a very slight grade, so I am going to look for a holding valve.

I have a few questions:
-Do the factory turf tires have tubes in them? I am wondering if I will have to order tubes to add some ballast weight...Does running with ballast inside the tires tear up the lawn in the spring? because if it does I may just add some weights on the rear hitch instead.

-The 60" deck says "J..something" in the model number tag...Will this work on the 444? I know later years have the engines flipped around which can cause issues with using the deck. I'll also need to source a belt for the pulley.

-Even with the brake on I can push the tractor...is there a way to adjust the brake so that it actually acts as a parking brake?

With the factory turf tires it could barely get up my slushy driveway..Hoping the chains will help with that. Of course we're supposed to be getting major snow today into tomorrow so I will probably have to shovel the driveway by hand..again :hitsfan:

First of all, big welcome to our little forum here! Congratulations on your 444! Me personally like the 444's the best :D We have a pretty good contingent of folks here from Southern Ontario, but also from further South and other parts of Canada. I am not fully skilled to answer all your questions but we have very experienced members in all Case GT related matters and I'm sure they'll chip in.

As far as I know the factory tires do not have tubes in them. Some people do put tubes in them on account of the tires being cracked, and/or filling them up with fluid to add weight for traction. But there are people here who add various fluids as ballast in the rear tires even without tubes. I don't think the weight added just inside the tire would ruin your turf, unless it's so soft that you'll make ruts without ballast too.

For snow related duties you will need both the chains and wheel weight. I have combine steel weights, 162 lbs per wheel, and chains = good traction.

I am pretty sure your J series deck fits your tractor. We have a really big manuals section which you can explore too
https://manuals.ccigt.com

We also like seeing pictures of tractors :D hint hint nudge nudge :highfive:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@turboff Welcome aboard the site . Where in Southern Ontario are you at ?
Traction is achieved like Eugen said with weight and chains . Also the correct air pressure is important . These big rear tires don't need much . Too much and the contact patch is reduced . The average 400 series tractor only need about 6 -8 psi in the rears . Chains are a must in winter . When installing the chains jack up rear end , deflate tires , install chains as tight as possible then reinflate to about 6 psi . Any slack and it could catch the fender . As for weight there are many ways to go about it and how much you weigh determines how much you need . Me I am a small guy so need all the help I can get . Wheel weights will be the simplest to start as they bolt on . I made my own .viewtopic.php?f=18&t=370 Tubes are only needed when tires leak air or special tubes for calcium which I have in Frankie , but they are not cheap . Windshield washer fluid , or plumbers / RV antifreeze , or rim guard (beet juice) can be added to tires without special tubes. Weight box bolted to the back filled with anything heavy can also be done .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
turboff Canada

Post by turboff »

Eugen wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:50 pm
turboff wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:26 pm Hey all,

I have a few questions:

-The 60" deck says "J..something" in the model number tag...Will this work on the 444? I know later years have the engines flipped around which can cause issues with using the deck. I'll also need to source a belt for the pulley.

First of all, big welcome to our little forum here! Congratulations on your 444! Me personally like the 444's the best :D We have a pretty good contingent of folks here from Southern Ontario, but also from further South and other parts of Canada. I am not fully skilled to answer all your questions but we have very experienced members in all Case GT related matters and I'm sure they'll chip in.

As far as I know the factory tires do not have tubes in them. Some people do put tubes in them on account of the tires being cracked, and/or filling them up with fluid to add weight for traction. But there are people here who add various fluids as ballast in the rear tires even without tubes. I don't think the weight added just inside the tire would ruin your turf, unless it's so soft that you'll make ruts without ballast too.

For snow related duties you will need both the chains and wheel weight. I have combine steel weights, 162 lbs per wheel, and chains = good traction.

I am pretty sure your J series deck fits your tractor. We have a really big manuals section which you can explore too
https://manuals.ccigt.com

We also like seeing pictures of tractors :D hint hint nudge nudge :highfive:
Hi Eugen, thank you for the welcome and thank you for the information!
Trying to find steel weights for the wheels seems pretty difficult. I have been following this board from before I bought my tractor to read get some leads on stuff. What combine are you weights off of? I am assuming there is a specific bolt pattern needed to fit our wheels? The 444 manual is so dark in some spots I can barely see what the picture is pointing to! lol
Only info I can find about that deck on a 444 is that it may be a bit big for the tractors power level...lol. I will do some more digging
Last edited by turboff on Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turboff Canada

Post by turboff »

DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:12 pm @turboff Welcome aboard the site . Where in Southern Ontario are you at ?
Traction is achieved like Eugen said with weight and chains . Also the correct air pressure is important . These big rear tires don't need much . Too much and the contact patch is reduced . The average 400 series tractor only need about 6 -8 psi in the rears . Chains are a must in winter . When installing the chains jack up rear end , deflate tires , install chains as tight as possible then reinflate to about 6 psi . Any slack and it could catch the fender . As for weight there are many ways to go about it and how much you weigh determines how much you need . Me I am a small guy so need all the help I can get . Wheel weights will be the simplest to start as they bolt on . I made my own .viewtopic.php?f=18&t=370 Tubes are only needed when tires leak air or special tubes for calcium which I have in Frankie , but they are not cheap . Windshield washer fluid , or plumbers / RV antifreeze , or rim guard (beet juice) can be added to tires without special tubes. Weight box bolted to the back filled with anything heavy can also be done .
Thanks Dave, I am in dufferin county. The guy at the trailer place put 10 psi in but I figured that would be too much! there was no PSI rating on the sidewalls I could find...how about the fronts?
I don't want to buy tubes if I don't have to but I keep reading that the wheels will rust out if you don't use tubes before filling with ballast (I was going to do windshield washer fluid since it gets nice and cold here!)

I weigh about 200 lbs give or take depending on the season lol. I have been doing all kinds of reading on homemade ballast. I just figured that wheel weight or liquid would be best as it would keep the weight/load closer to the axle and be kinder on parts. Do you keep your juice in the tires even in the warmer months when you maybe mow or do other tasks?
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

turboff wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:27 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:12 pm @turboff Welcome aboard the site . Where in Southern Ontario are you at ?
Thanks Dave, I am in dufferin county. The guy at the trailer place put 10 psi in but I figured that would be too much! there was no PSI rating on the sidewalls I could find...how about the fronts?
I don't want to buy tubes if I don't have to but I keep reading that the wheels will rust out if you don't use tubes before filling with ballast (I was going to do windshield washer fluid since it gets nice and cold here!)

I weigh about 200 lbs give or take depending on the season lol. I have been doing all kinds of reading on homemade ballast. I just figured that wheel weight or liquid would be best as it would keep the weight/load closer to the axle and be kinder on parts. Do you keep your juice in the tires even in the warmer months when you maybe mow or do other tasks?
The fronts , 10-14psi depending on what you are using and preference in ride .
I run the weights year round on Frankie (446 on steriods ) as he has a loader on the front . The Blower tractor I thing I will keep the home made wheel weights on as my grandson :51: drives it to and he no weigh so much . I use my Cases as tractors and have another mower for the grass .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Welcome to the forum turbuff. :cheers:
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Darn bifocals. Welcome turboff
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Welcome to the forum. I'm a 4000 series guy but I think as long as you have the long frame 400 series it should fit. As long as your not trying to mow down a field, your 444 may run the deck ok. People run the modern RM60 60" deck on a 16HP vanguard vtwin on the 4000 series tractors.

@keith you can edit your previous posts.
Ingersoll 4016
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I'm out and about now but I'll follow up later about the combine weights. They're not that easy to find, true. There are other ways to add weight, like Dave said. :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: