Another 446 owner in S. Ontario

Please introduce yourself, your location, interests, etc.
Harry United States of America

Re: Another 446 owner in S. Ontario

Post by Harry »

Gerry happy to see you found the CCIGT site. I’m sure we all will enjoy trading knowledge and interesting stories of past and current projects. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

A big THANK YOU to everyone for the warm welcome. :cheers:

I'll be sure to share the tales of various tractor "adventures" as time permits :) The big job this winter is packing / purging household junk and getting ready for the big move in the spring and making sure the 446 is ready for snow plow / blowing duties as required. Hamilton seems to miss most of the big storms and most of the time lake effect snow is going in the opposite direction (sorry Buffalo) I am looking forward to having a mechanical advantage over the snow when it finally does arrive.

I did a bit of work to the blade - spun the cutting edge, built up the bottom of the skid shoes (they were worn to a wedge shape and had holes in the bottom) and a quick modification - replaced the swing lock pin with a spring loaded one. The snowcaster is a work in progress, it looked like previous owners had fed it a lot of gravel and I've spent a bit of time straightening out the rolled over edges of the auger, I also found the shouldered lift bushings were broken - I've made replacements but will be ordering new bushings and a tension spring - hopefully before we get our first big dump of snow...

Take care everyone, and have a good day... (back to tidying)
Attachments
PXL_20221226_193326118 (Large).jpg
Last edited by RoamingGnome on Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
keith Canada

Post by keith »

I like those improvements, great ideas. Keep on posting those pics, I like the way you think. :thumbsup: Keith
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@RoamingGnome Gerry , have you checked the auger for being straight ? These snow casters work best when the auger is as close as possible to the housing , but that cause slack in the drive chain . The newer models have chain adjustment on the jack shaft bearing . I think your's is new enough to have that adjuster. I have an older model so use guides to take up the slack . Many guys have had great luck adding rubber wipe to the throwing paddle to in crease throwing distance .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
FUTZ Canada

Post by FUTZ »

Hey RG,
Welcome!
Last year, I nearly bought a place in Lanark Highlands, with 65 acres. I lost it and it's still a bit of a sore spot. Post lots of pictures so I can still enjoy it vicariously.
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

FUTZ wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:53 pm Hey RG,
Welcome!
Last year, I nearly bought a place in Lanark Highlands, with 65 acres. I lost it and it's still a bit of a sore spot. Post lots of pictures so I can still enjoy it vicariously.
Howdy FUTZ... I don't want to fill up the boards with pretty pictures of the Lanark Highlands, but if you (or anyone else) is on Instagram you can find a diary of sorts of our homesteading project - Instagram @ravensroostdiaries :cheers:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

RoamingGnome wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:40 pm
FUTZ wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:53 pm Hey RG,
Welcome!
Howdy FUTZ... I don't want to fill up the boards with pretty pictures of the Lanark Highlands, but if you (or anyone else) is on Instagram you can find a diary of sorts of our homesteading project - Instagram @ravensroostdiaries :cheers:
Gerry , Pictures of your progress now and then would be nice if you don't mind .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:06 pm @RoamingGnome Gerry , have you checked the auger for being straight ? These snow casters work best when the auger is as close as possible to the housing , but that cause slack in the drive chain . The newer models have chain adjustment on the jack shaft bearing . I think your's is new enough to have that adjuster. I have an older model so use guides to take up the slack . Many guys have had great luck adding rubber wipe to the throwing paddle to in crease throwing distance .
@RoamingGnome,

I will add that as the snow casters progressed over the years, one of them changed the chain tensioning by having 3 holes in the chassy for the top bolt of the bearing on the small sprocket. A newer version changed the 3 holes to a radiused slot, with a eye bolt and end cap on the chain guard. The eye is on the top bolt,with the other end going through the end plate. One of the guy's on the old group did this mod to his older caster.

Also some guy's have swapped out the small 16 tooth sprocket for a 19 tooth, to increase auger speed and throwing distance.

Another mod: Some have recognized the the chute is on the short side and has a awful sharp bend in it. So they have picked up chutes from JD and Ariens and modified them to fit the Case.

See post 135 here for a look at the eye bolt adjuster mod.
https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/threa ... 977/page-7

Good read on casters
https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/threa ... far.14278/

Here is a few links about the chute mod.
https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/threa ... ign.14107/

https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/threa ... ods.92559/

:cheers:
Gordy
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Thanks @Gordy I'm heading down into the tent garage today to do some work on the snowcaster and I'll post my progress :writing: in the "attachments" forum when I have some more photos...