new 3012 owner Neenah WI

Please introduce yourself, your location, interests, etc.
tsmith624 United States of America

new 3012 owner Neenah WI

Post by tsmith624 »

maintenance in an unheated garage. I would like to change fluids asap so I can test the plow. I dont know what PO used, so Id like to drain and start over. I found the specs on the oils to use, but wonder if a magnetic block heatercould be used to warm things up for draining. The instructions say it can be used on all kinds of farm equipment and cars, but it reaches 300 - 400 degrees. Any opinions?
Eugen Canada

Re: new 3012 owner Neenah WI

Post by Eugen »

tsmith624 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:50 pm maintenance in an unheated garage. I would like to change fluids asap so I can test the plow. I dont know what PO used, so Id like to drain and start over. I found the specs on the oils to use, but wonder if a magnetic block heater could be used to warm things up for draining. The instructions say it can be used on all kinds of farm equipment and cars, but it reaches 300 - 400 degrees. Any opinions?
Welcome to the forum, glad you got this nice machine. I'm not familiar with the 3012 but if it has a plastic hydraulic tank I'd say not a good idea to use this heater. Any reason why you don't run the tractor for a while? If it's not functional it's one thing, but if it is, chances are high that nothing will happen to it if you run it for 1/2 hour more.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

:wave: @tsmith624 welcome to CCIGT glad to have you here, neighbor. Congrats on your tractor. Hope you enjoy your time here and join in. :highfive:

If you let her run for a little while the oil will heat up enough to drain. :thumbsup:

:geek: Tim
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

tsmith624 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:50 pm maintenance in an unheated garage. I would like to change fluids asap so I can test the plow. I dont know what PO used, so Id like to drain and start over. I found the specs on the oils to use, but wonder if a magnetic block heatercould be used to warm things up for draining. The instructions say it can be used on all kinds of farm equipment and cars, but it reaches 300 - 400 degrees. Any opinions?
Welcome aboard and congrads on your new acquisition. Magnettict block heater can be used to warm the trans axle as well as the engine for fluid changes . The idea here is to just bring the metal and oil to room temp 70 -80 F . So you stick it to the bottom of ... turn on and when the top of the sides gets warm to touch turn off and drain your fluid . Keep your new fluid inside warm until needed as it will flow easier that way . As for the hydraulics , that is trickier as there is more to the system than just the tank. This is where an inferred electric heater under the tractor with the tractor covered with moving blanket to keep the heat in will help to take the chill off the whole system . Do Not leave unattended please . The best place I found to drain is at the pressure tap (small Allan key head pipe plug ) on the TCV . This will drain most of the hydraulic fluid , but not all . If any of the fluids are milky looking , you will need to repeat this process after running , driven on stands and getting warm though out . (15w40 deisel engine oil is what a lot use for all the able ) . Hope this helps
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

PS> be careful running tractor in and enclosed space . Have CO> detector with you and pipe the exhaust out side .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Welcome to the CCIGT site. Glad to see you found the site and hope you find it fun educational and informative. Good luck with the maintenance on your new to you 3012. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

Welcome to the group @tsmith624. What oil are you planning on putting in your tractor?
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Very early 3012 with the single cylinder Kohler or 3012 with the Vanguard v-twin? The vanguard has an aluminum block and the magnet will not stick. Not sure on the Kohler but we have a bunch of Kohler experts on the forum that would know.
Ingersoll 4016
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

If it's a kohler k301 you can definitely stick a magnet to its iron belly.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:05 pm
tsmith624 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:50 pm maintenance in an unheated garage. I would like to change fluids asap so I can test the plow. I dont know what PO used, so Id like to drain and start over. I found the specs on the oils to use, but wonder if a magnetic block heatercould be used to warm things up for draining. The instructions say it can be used on all kinds of farm equipment and cars, but it reaches 300 - 400 degrees. Any opinions?
Welcome aboard and congrads on your new acquisition. Magnettict block heater can be used to warm the trans axle as well as the engine for fluid changes . The idea here is to just bring the metal and oil to room temp 70 -80 F . So you stick it to the bottom of ... turn on and when the top of the sides gets warm to touch turn off and drain your fluid . Keep your new fluid inside warm until needed as it will flow easier that way . As for the hydraulics , that is trickier as there is more to the system than just the tank. This is where an inferred electric heater under the tractor with the tractor covered with moving blanket to keep the heat in will help to take the chill off the whole system . Do Not leave unattended please . The best place I found to drain is at the pressure tap (small Allan key head pipe plug ) on the TCV . This will drain most of the hydraulic fluid , but not all . If any of the fluids are milky looking , you will need to repeat this process after running , driven on stands and getting warm though out . (15w40 deisel engine oil is what a lot use for all the able ) . Hope this helps
Not having a infrared heater, I find halogen work lights work well as noncontact heaters. A word of warning before placing any of these under the tractor, inspect the tractor for oil leaks and place the heater so no oil can drip on the heater and start a fire.

:cheers:
Gordy