Page 1 of 1

onan genny engine rework

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:05 pm
by DavidBarkey
Onan genny motor tear down started I was told that the engine was low hours and the meter agreed with that , but you just never know . PO. said it was pulled due to control board failure. He said they hardly used it for years as they camped at plug in parks , but when they started going to different places they needed it to work . So they replaced it and I got it for $200 :canada: about $150 :usa: a couple of years ago . Now you tell me does it look like low hours .
20220122_095815.jpg
20220122_102356.jpg
20220122_102822.jpg
Note I have not done any cleaning on the motor other than blowing the crud off the out side before disassembly.

Dave

Re: onan genny engine rework

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:32 pm
by Timj
:letmesee: :thumbsup: looks pretty good Dave.
Did you buy just the motor or the complete unit?
What HP is it?
:geek: Tim

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:48 pm
by Eugen
Oh wow Dave! That's a new engine! Std piston and you can still see the criss cross on the cylinder wall! :O Score!

I got popcorn, watching! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:25 pm
by Eugen
I wanna see you dial bore gauge it, and what the mic says on the crankshaft! :geek: Now this is what I call high quality programming! :122:

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:20 pm
by DavidBarkey
Timj wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:32 pm :letmesee: :thumbsup: looks pretty good Dave.
Did you buy just the motor or the complete unit?
What HP is it?
:geek: Tim
Complete unit , Emerald Plus 4000 . Bore and stroke equivalent to 18 hp engine . Using it for a short block to replace the bad 16 hp it came with .

Dave

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:22 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:25 pm I wanna see you dial bore gauge it, and what the mic says on the crankshaft! :geek: Now this is what I call high quality programming! :122:
Lets just say that there is No ridge at the top, No where on the bearings and the rods or the cam lobes .

Dave

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:29 pm
by DavidBarkey
20220122_141304.jpg
Turning the genny taper down to 1" straight .
20220122_152056.jpg
Milling for 1/4" key

Dave

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:07 pm
by DavidBarkey
20220123_150258.jpg
As you can see it has extensive ware . Based on what everything looks like . I don't think it has even finished brake in .
Spent the day cleaning and reassembling the short block . Have a rebuild gasket kit from OnanParts.com

Dave

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:44 am
by Gordy
As you can see it has extensive ware .
Yep, wore out, you better box up the whole thing and send it my way for proper recycling ;) :rofl:

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:44 pm
by DavidBarkey
Got the heads on and resealed the intake this morning . Useing heads , fly wheel, intake , exh. , tins , ignition from original engine . The original engine did not have oil filter , but the genny did so I have to cut a hole in the tin and find the extra air gasket I have Somewhere tucked away in the shop .
Stater, flywheel ,starter and valve covers this afternoon . Tomorrow clean fit and paint tins Carb. and ignition .

Dave

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:52 pm
by DavidBarkey
Afternoon work . starter , stater , fly wheel , oil system prime , set points , tappet covers and compression test .
Not sure what to think about the compression test . 140 lbs :hm: :cheers:

Dave

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:05 pm
by Eugen
140?! :O

I don't know what impresses me more. This figure or the fact that you do more in an afternoon than I do in three months! :rofl:

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:01 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:05 pm 140?! :O

I don't know what impresses me more. This figure or the fact that you do more in an afternoon than I do in three months! :rofl:
Well right now I don't have real job . Just this and my chores . It also helps to have a full shop to work in .

Dave

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:11 am
by Jancoe
That engine looks nice inside. Definitely low hours. I too have a onan generator I picked up a year ago. I'll be doing the same as you are turning the crank down. I plan on having it replace the p218 on my 6018bh. It's starting to smoke a little and is getting tired. The owner pulled the genset out of his motorhome because it would not start. I paid $50 for it. Found out the ignition module failed. Wish our tractors were as easy as this emerald plus was to get to the module. Easy fix and runs good. Almost debating on leaving it alone and making a mount for the back of the 5th wheel for those camping days without electricity. Almost. Lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:16 pm
by DavidBarkey
Jancoe wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:11 am That engine looks nice inside. Definitely low hours. I too have a onan generator I picked up a year ago. I'll be doing the same as you are turning the crank down. I plan on having it replace the p218 on my 6018bh. It's starting to smoke a little and is getting tired. The owner pulled the genset out of his motorhome because it would not start. I paid $50 for it. Found out the ignition module failed. Wish our tractors were as easy as this emerald plus was to get to the module. Easy fix and runs good. Almost debating on leaving it alone and making a mount for the back of the 5th wheel for those camping days without electricity. Almost. Lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

They are great generators . So unless you need the engine , use it as a genny and watch for another .You might find another no start :) Then you will have spare parts for the genny and a motor to convert . You need heads, flywheel , intake , tins, stater, oil pan ect. from the P218 and a complete gasket kit .

Dave

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:49 pm
by DavidBarkey
Ok guys , question . If you had an Onan with line green paint on the tins , what would you say it was out of ?
Under all the grime the tins have what I beleave to be Sears suburban colours on the inside .
What do you think .

Dave

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:56 pm
by keith
Dave, was that a tapered shaft? Did you turn it down to 1 1/8'' ?

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:30 am
by DavidBarkey
keith wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:56 pm Dave, was that a tapered shaft? Did you turn it down to 1 1/8'' ?
Yes , it had the standard flywheel taper on one end and a generator armature taper lock on the the other end . I turned it down to 1" and bought a 1"
L-099 connector and new spider from PA. I needed to turn i down to 1" to get rid of enough taper and then took some off the end to shorten down the stub a bit. Don't remember how much.