onan genny engine rework

Troubleshooting, rebuilding, repairing Onan engines.
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: onan genny engine rework

Post by DavidBarkey »

Afternoon work . starter , stater , fly wheel , oil system prime , set points , tappet covers and compression test .
Not sure what to think about the compression test . 140 lbs :hm: :cheers:

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

140?! :O

I don't know what impresses me more. This figure or the fact that you do more in an afternoon than I do in three months! :rofl:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:05 pm 140?! :O

I don't know what impresses me more. This figure or the fact that you do more in an afternoon than I do in three months! :rofl:
Well right now I don't have real job . Just this and my chores . It also helps to have a full shop to work in .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

That engine looks nice inside. Definitely low hours. I too have a onan generator I picked up a year ago. I'll be doing the same as you are turning the crank down. I plan on having it replace the p218 on my 6018bh. It's starting to smoke a little and is getting tired. The owner pulled the genset out of his motorhome because it would not start. I paid $50 for it. Found out the ignition module failed. Wish our tractors were as easy as this emerald plus was to get to the module. Easy fix and runs good. Almost debating on leaving it alone and making a mount for the back of the 5th wheel for those camping days without electricity. Almost. Lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Jancoe wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:11 am That engine looks nice inside. Definitely low hours. I too have a onan generator I picked up a year ago. I'll be doing the same as you are turning the crank down. I plan on having it replace the p218 on my 6018bh. It's starting to smoke a little and is getting tired. The owner pulled the genset out of his motorhome because it would not start. I paid $50 for it. Found out the ignition module failed. Wish our tractors were as easy as this emerald plus was to get to the module. Easy fix and runs good. Almost debating on leaving it alone and making a mount for the back of the 5th wheel for those camping days without electricity. Almost. Lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

They are great generators . So unless you need the engine , use it as a genny and watch for another .You might find another no start :) Then you will have spare parts for the genny and a motor to convert . You need heads, flywheel , intake , tins, stater, oil pan ect. from the P218 and a complete gasket kit .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Ok guys , question . If you had an Onan with line green paint on the tins , what would you say it was out of ?
Under all the grime the tins have what I beleave to be Sears suburban colours on the inside .
What do you think .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Dave, was that a tapered shaft? Did you turn it down to 1 1/8'' ?
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

keith wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:56 pm Dave, was that a tapered shaft? Did you turn it down to 1 1/8'' ?
Yes , it had the standard flywheel taper on one end and a generator armature taper lock on the the other end . I turned it down to 1" and bought a 1"
L-099 connector and new spider from PA. I needed to turn i down to 1" to get rid of enough taper and then took some off the end to shorten down the stub a bit. Don't remember how much.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder