Carb question

Troubleshooting, rebuilding, repairing Onan engines.
propane1 Canada

Re: Carb question

Post by propane1 »

JSinMO wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:38 pm
propane1 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:22 pm :giggle: :giggle: Here I was looking for carburetor idle mixture and high speed screw settings and here they are on the air breather cover. :giggle: :giggle: :45: :45: :40: :40:

Noel :D
I forgot all about that. I know at least one of mine is readable, maybe both. At least we know where to get the info in the future! :thumbsup:

:giggle: :giggle: I’d still forget Jeff. :45: :45: :40: :40:

Noel
CaseIngersollNE United States of America

Post by CaseIngersollNE »

Thats a great price on a Float and great shipping price to Canada Bob! Noel I would grab a brass float for sure as you will run into trouble with that old style float and more than likely at the most inconvenient time lol. I set all DD carbs at 1 1/4 on idle screw and 1 3/4 on main as a starting point and go from there.
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

I do somewhere have an updated procedure for main fuel adjustment on the DD carbs, question is can I find it? The recommended way sometime after the service manual specs requires adjustment under load at a specified rpm. This might be right or wrong, but as I remember you set the throttle to say 3000 rpm and then apply a load that drops engine speed to 2800. I always ran the front wheels up against a curb in high range. Then turn the main in until it stumbles and then back out until it is steady under load. I will try to find the service bulletin and post it, please remind me if I forget.

Bob
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Here’s a video of me setting the screws on the carburetor.
A reminder. I’m not trained in this. Just a back yard fixer or you know.
Any way, I’ll get it out soon and see how it works.

Thanks for all the interest and comments.

Noel.

https://youtu.be/yAhoQu-gBTA?si=XdQ5u5RAg1VucZs9
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

myerslawnandgarden wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:18 pm I do somewhere have an updated procedure for main fuel adjustment on the DD carbs, question is can I find it? The recommended way sometime after the service manual specs requires adjustment under load at a specified rpm. This might be right or wrong, but as I remember you set the throttle to say 3000 rpm and then apply a load that drops engine speed to 2800. I always ran the front wheels up against a curb in high range. Then turn the main in until it stumbles and then back out until it is steady under load. I will try to find the service bulletin and post it, please remind me if I forget.

Bob
I like that method Bob :thumbsup:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Well. I got it outside and found a little snow to throw. All worked good. Now . I need a little storm to test it.

Noel

https://youtu.be/F3oN3hx0MY0?si=N0EVjRRA8qiPJN81
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

2” of wet snow and slush today. Took the Case 446 out and it handle it with ease.

Noel.