448 Onan starter and more

Troubleshooting, rebuilding, repairing Onan engines.
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: 448 Onan starter and more. Let's talk Studebakers!

Post by DavidBarkey »

Seabee wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:49 pm I have a point here! Years ago I cleaned up the block on my Studebaker Avanti and painted it so it looked nice. A few years later the engine would start well when Cold, but it was a real challenge when hot. I finally pulled the starter and hauled it to an electronics rebuilder. He said nothing wrong with it! I bought new cables and came home and installed them. Not real wonderful! I pulled the starter and polished the flanges on the starter with a wire wheel and I polished the engine bosses where the starter met the engine block.

Problem solved! I was proud of that Black paint when I did it, but when I wire wheeled it off of the contact areas, the engine started fine and still does! It was all due to bad grounds! Good wires on your 448 is a good starting place, but be sure the grounds on the engine block and battery are clean.

Bill Moyer
Great point Bob , I had too forgot about the contact point at the block.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Re: 448 Onan starter and more

Post by propane1 »

I had a starter on a hh120 Tecumseh engine that was slow turning. But I think it was hot or cold it had the problem. Any way. Found the armature was draging on the magnets. Can’t remember what I did. But I think I filed off one or the other or both and that fixed it. Been fine since. That was quite a while ago.
Could it be the timing is to far advanced in the engine making it hard for the engine to turn over, when hot.
Just a couple of thoughts I had.

Noel