Electronic igintion

Troubleshooting, rebuilding, repairing Onan engines.
ras101 United States of America

Electronic igintion

Post by ras101 »

I have two Onan engines in my GT's a B43M and a B48M both with points. The B48M starts by just showing the key but has some major work done by a PO that apparently spent hours electronically analyzing the engine and tuning the points and capacitor requirements. Yeah it was a great effort and it shows in the faultless running of the engine too. For me, yes I too have the skills to do this (professional Electronic Engineer) but I know that over time this will need to be repeated as the components age, etc. For me I want a better, more sustainable solution - electronic ignition! Here looking for recommendations. Anyone swooped out their points for an electronic solution? How did it go, what do I need to take into account, how well does it work, etc. ?
sdunt United States of America

Re: Electronic igintion

Post by sdunt »

I have been running a Kirk Engines TRANDENSER II ELECTRONIC IGNITION SYSTEM for probably 3 years and its run flawlessly for me.
https://kirkengines.com/index.php#1

Now, you will need a NEW set of Onan OEM points, but those points might outlast the tractor with this installed. you also need to make absolutely, positively sure that the case of the Transenser is GROUNDED. As in run a wire from the mounting screw back to the battery ground terminal. The Trandensor pushes all of the current that used to burn up points through its ground, so it needs a good solid ground
Harry United States of America

Re: Electronic igintion

Post by Harry »

I agree Scott. I have three transdensers installed on GT’s. They all work terrific. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226