Onan P218

Troubleshooting, rebuilding, repairing Onan engines.
TLD89 United States of America

Onan P218

Post by TLD89 »

I decarb and set values, now motor turns over with spark and fuel and backfires. But does not run. Not sure that I turned the motor clockwise when setting values. Could that be the problem?
When setting values I set them at BTC should I've set them at 20 degrees?
Eugen Canada

Re: Onan P218

Post by Eugen »

TLD89 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:23 am I decarb and set values, now motor turns over with spark and fuel and backfires. But does not run. Not sure that I turned the motor clockwise when setting values. Could that be the problem?
Might help to give a little more context about this engine. Was there a problem at all before, did it work at all?

If you set the valve clearance properly I don't think it matters which way you turn the engine to get to TDC. For backfires timing is a usual culprit. But the fact that you touched the valves, that may be involved in it too.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

TLD89 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:23 am I decarb and set values, now motor turns over with spark and fuel and backfires. But does not run. Not sure that I turned the motor clockwise when setting values. Could that be the problem?
Yes , What Eugen said . Need more background.
How did it run before ? Why did you adjust the valves , were they out of spec ? What all did you do to the engine ? Does it back fire out the exh. or the carb ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by TLD89 »

Eugen wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:37 am
Might help to give a little more context about this engine. Was there a problem at all before, did it work at all?

If you set the valve clearance properly I don't think it matters which way you turn the engine to get to TDC. For backfires timing is a usual culprit. But the fact that you touched the valves, that may be involved in it too.
The motor ran before with the choke partly closed. I think it had a carb issue, so I cleaned the carb and sealed the intake manifold seam.

Post by TLD89 »

TLD89 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:05 pm

The motor ran before with the choke partly closed. I think it had a carb issue, so I cleaned the carb and sealed the intake manifold seam.
The values did have carbon build up and where a few thousands off. I did take the timing gear cover off carefully cleaned the stator.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

TLD89 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:05 pm

Lean can also cause back fires up the carb . Check your fuel supply to the carb for restrictions. Do a compresstion test to rule out valves issues as well .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by TLD89 »

Still have the issue with starting. I checked timing with timing light and the timing mark TDC on flywheel is not even close to the TDC on the timing gear cover, it is at about 8 o'clock. The flywheel is in the correct position with the keyway on the shaft.
When decarbing nothing was touched with the cam or crank gears, only took timing gear cover off to retrieve value keeper. The governor linkage is also installed correctly.
Changed ignition module with a used one I had still have the same problem. Any ideas ?
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

You have me stumped on the timing issue. If the timing cover was off, conferming that the cam and crankshaft gear timing marks line up would be a first check. The ignion module position is another thought. Dave may have some ideas.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

How about checking float height on your carb? Are you pushing to much gas through the carb?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

For it to be that far out . The trigger ring has to be on backwards or not on the key properly some how .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder