Page 1 of 1

Onan valve spring retainer lock

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:11 pm
by TLD89
When pulling valves out to decarb. my p218 1/2 of the valve retainer lock fell down into the oil pan. I've been looking for a set with no luck. They seem to be discontinued. Would anyone have a set they would sell? Not looking forward in dropping oil pan.

Re: Onan valve spring retainer lock

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:35 pm
by Eugen
This happened to me with a different engine. I was able to fish it out with a rare earth magnet taped on a 8 gage solid copper wire. But the piece of magnet was not large, and I taped it really well with strong construction red duck tape. Through the oil drain hole.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:41 pm
by DavidBarkey
Put a heater under the oil pan . When warmed up drop the oil and hope it comes out with the rush of oil .If not take tube off and try what Eugen said . you really don't want a piece of steel floating around in the pan . Good luck . Hope it comes out with dropping the oil.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:56 pm
by Jancoe
I also had this happen. One of those small telescoping magnets did it. Had to bend it a little to drop in to search for it. I wouldn't just assume it fell to the oil pan. It can get hung up on crank.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:16 pm
by keith
TLD89 How's your progress with your engine problem going? I would like to offer you the parts no charge, but they are off a b series engine and have different part numbers for a p218. Would anyone know if they are compatible? Nothing more frustrating to me than trying to find parts for an onan engine. I think every one here would like to see your tractor running again. Hope you had good luck fishing for the part and are back on track. :cheers:Keith

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:47 pm
by Eugen
Looks like it's Onan part number 110–3511 and probably not hard to find, but I'd say you definitely should get that out of the engine no matter what. :wave3:

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:05 pm
by Harry
When trying to remove those little rascals from the valve area, someone told me to stuff a rag down the holes. I think it was boomer after I lost one into the oil pan. I took his advice and drained the oil and retrieved it with a telescopic magnetic. :peace: Harry

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:15 am
by TLD89
Thanks for the advice from everyone. I finely got it out here are some pics.
onan1[1429].jpg
onan2[1428].jpg
onan3[1426].jpg
onan4[1427].jpg

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:46 am
by DavidBarkey
:congrats: Now that ,that has been done . Your not the only one to have something like this happen . Either in the pan or lost on the floor . Me included on other engines .

How much carbon was on the valves / head and piston anyways? Reason I ask is that I beleave now a good running engine with the fuels and oils we have these days decarboning is not as necessary any more. Only as often as you would do a valve job or head gasket . I know what the manuals say , but that was then this is now . If the engine is new to you and do not know service record , I say do it . But if like me , I have a P220 in Frankie . It has been about 9 years since I go it . Did a valve service (clean and lap ) then . He is used almost every day. Some times for 6-8 hours in a day , other times for minutes at a time . So lots of hours yearly , year round . Too many to count . I have had a peek a few times with a bore scope and very minimum carbon build up . I did a compression test in the summer and was still over 100 lbs in each cylinder . Now I use reg. gas with Seafoam in it year round and diesel engine oil . 10/30 winter / 15/40 summer .

my 2 cents worth
your thought guys

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:05 am
by Timj
:69: nice catch Terry. :thumbsup:
:geek: Tim

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:30 am
by keith
Just curious as to how much time do you think it took to retrieve that little part? :highfive: At the lunch table one day, two fellas were explaining how one of them dropped his prescription glasses down the forms for a concrete wall and how they finally got them out. Someone else asked how they were going to fill out there time sheets......"fishing for specs?"

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:09 am
by Timj
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:46 am :congrats: Now that ,that has been done . Your not the only one to have something like this happen . Either in the pan or lost on the floor . Me included on other engines .

How much carbon was on the valves / head and piston anyways? Reason I ask is that I beleave now a good running engine with the fuels and oils we have these days decarboning is not as necessary any more. Only as often as you would do a valve job or head gasket . I know what the manuals say , but that was then this is now . If the engine is new to you and do not know service record , I say do it . But if like me , I have a P220 in Frankie . It has been about 9 years since I go it . Did a valve service (clean and lap ) then . He is used almost every day. Some times for 6-8 hours in a day , other times for minutes at a time . So lots of hours yearly , year round . Too many to count . I have had a peek a few times with a bore scope and very minimum carbon build up . I did a compression test in the summer and was still over 100 lbs in each cylinder . Now I use reg. gas with Seafoam in it year round and diesel engine oil . 10/30 winter / 15/40 summer .

my 2 cents worth
your thought guys
I've been thinking along the same lines as you on this Dave. I've been on the fence about opening up my P218 and P216. The 218 has almost 1400 hours, runs great, always maintained. Want to keep it that way.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:56 am
by TLD89
keith wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:30 am Just curious as to how much time do you think it took to retrieve that little part? :highfive: At the lunch table one day, two fellas were explaining how one of them dropped his prescription glasses down the forms for a concrete wall and how they finally got them out. Someone else asked how they were going to fill out there time sheets......"fishing for specs?"

I would say removing flywheel and timing gear cover and turning engine all but upside down and fishing around. ! hour. Also getting a little carried away with cleaning block fins plus... 2 1/2 hrs total.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:59 am
by TLD89
TLD89 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:56 am
keith wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:30 am Just curious as to how much time do you think it took to retrieve that little part? :highfive: At the lunch table one day, two fellas were explaining how one of them dropped his prescription glasses down the forms for a concrete wall and how they finally got them out. Someone else asked how they were going to fill out there time sheets......"fishing for specs?"

I would say removing flywheel and timing gear cover and turning engine all but upside down and fishing around. ! hour. Also getting a little carried away with cleaning block fins plus... 2 1/2 hrs total.
Scope is a great ideal. : cheers:

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:33 pm
by DavidBarkey
Timj wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:09 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:46 am :congrats: Now that ,that has been done . Your not the only one to have something like this happen . Either in the pan or lost on the floor . Me included on other engines .

my 2 cents worth
your thought guys
I've been thinking along the same lines as you on this Dave. I've been on the fence about opening up my P218 and P216. The 218 has almost 1400 hours, runs great, always maintained. Want to keep it that way.
If you are concerned . Do compression test and ,rent/ borrow a scope and have a look see through the spark plug hole . If bad do it, if iffy try a sea foam decarb . If good leave alone . Is my thinking .