Onan valve spring retainer lock

Troubleshooting, rebuilding, repairing Onan engines.
keith Canada

Re: Onan valve spring retainer lock

Post by keith »

Just curious as to how much time do you think it took to retrieve that little part? :highfive: At the lunch table one day, two fellas were explaining how one of them dropped his prescription glasses down the forms for a concrete wall and how they finally got them out. Someone else asked how they were going to fill out there time sheets......"fishing for specs?"
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:46 am :congrats: Now that ,that has been done . Your not the only one to have something like this happen . Either in the pan or lost on the floor . Me included on other engines .

How much carbon was on the valves / head and piston anyways? Reason I ask is that I beleave now a good running engine with the fuels and oils we have these days decarboning is not as necessary any more. Only as often as you would do a valve job or head gasket . I know what the manuals say , but that was then this is now . If the engine is new to you and do not know service record , I say do it . But if like me , I have a P220 in Frankie . It has been about 9 years since I go it . Did a valve service (clean and lap ) then . He is used almost every day. Some times for 6-8 hours in a day , other times for minutes at a time . So lots of hours yearly , year round . Too many to count . I have had a peek a few times with a bore scope and very minimum carbon build up . I did a compression test in the summer and was still over 100 lbs in each cylinder . Now I use reg. gas with Seafoam in it year round and diesel engine oil . 10/30 winter / 15/40 summer .

my 2 cents worth
your thought guys
I've been thinking along the same lines as you on this Dave. I've been on the fence about opening up my P218 and P216. The 218 has almost 1400 hours, runs great, always maintained. Want to keep it that way.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
TLD89 United States of America

Post by TLD89 »

keith wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:30 am Just curious as to how much time do you think it took to retrieve that little part? :highfive: At the lunch table one day, two fellas were explaining how one of them dropped his prescription glasses down the forms for a concrete wall and how they finally got them out. Someone else asked how they were going to fill out there time sheets......"fishing for specs?"

I would say removing flywheel and timing gear cover and turning engine all but upside down and fishing around. ! hour. Also getting a little carried away with cleaning block fins plus... 2 1/2 hrs total.
TLD89 United States of America

Post by TLD89 »

TLD89 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:56 am
keith wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:30 am Just curious as to how much time do you think it took to retrieve that little part? :highfive: At the lunch table one day, two fellas were explaining how one of them dropped his prescription glasses down the forms for a concrete wall and how they finally got them out. Someone else asked how they were going to fill out there time sheets......"fishing for specs?"

I would say removing flywheel and timing gear cover and turning engine all but upside down and fishing around. ! hour. Also getting a little carried away with cleaning block fins plus... 2 1/2 hrs total.
Scope is a great ideal. : cheers:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Timj wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:09 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:46 am :congrats: Now that ,that has been done . Your not the only one to have something like this happen . Either in the pan or lost on the floor . Me included on other engines .

How much carbon was on the valves / head and piston anyways? Reason I ask is that I beleave now a good running engine with the fuels and oils we have these days decarboning is not as necessary any more. Only as often as you would do a valve job or head gasket . I know what the manuals say , but that was then this is now . If the engine is new to you and do not know service record , I say do it . But if like me , I have a P220 in Frankie . It has been about 9 years since I go it . Did a valve service (clean and lap ) then . He is used almost every day. Some times for 6-8 hours in a day , other times for minutes at a time . So lots of hours yearly , year round . Too many to count . I have had a peek a few times with a bore scope and very minimum carbon build up . I did a compression test in the summer and was still over 100 lbs in each cylinder . Now I use reg. gas with Seafoam in it year round and diesel engine oil . 10/30 winter / 15/40 summer .

my 2 cents worth
your thought guys
I've been thinking along the same lines as you on this Dave. I've been on the fence about opening up my P218 and P216. The 218 has almost 1400 hours, runs great, always maintained. Want to keep it that way.
If you are concerned . Do compression test and ,rent/ borrow a scope and have a look see through the spark plug hole . If bad do it, if iffy try a sea foam decarb . If good leave alone . Is my thinking .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder