Page 1 of 1

Re: Multi-function engine monitor gauge

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:28 am
by DavidBarkey
So looking for ."what is operating temp air cooled engine " here is a few results .

Quote I recently installed an oil pressure gauge and a temp gauge on my 20hp Kohler engine (Craftsman tractor). I glued the temp sendor against the block (don't know how accurate that is, but it gives me a baseline). After running a while in 100 degree heat, I'll see 240F on the gauge. When I shoot the oil filter with my temp gun, I see 240-245F. Oil pressures run 35-40lbs. BTW, I'm running 15w40 Delo and an ST8 Supertech filter, (yes it't big and it fits!)

Quote : My John Deere runs at 200F in the crankcase with a 13 HP Tecumseh single cylinder using 0W30 GC. Outside air temp was 102F. This was during and after mowing 1/2 acre. I would stop in the middle of mowing and raise the hood and take the reading immediately with my IR temp gun.

Quote :Oil from the sump just after 2+- hour run is 250°on our Kohler Courage 25HP on Gravely ZTR. I used Rotella 10w-30 CJ4 since new. No oil consumption. I just switch over to Rotella T5 10w-30.

Quote :Normal for aircooled engines is generally below 260F. Ideal is about 220, that way it boils off moisture but it not too thin due to excess temperature. I generally use Mobil 1 15-50 for my air cooled engines here in Florida. I lost 2 Honda powered water pumps using conventional oils. The reason was, as you noticed, excess oil temperature. The switch to M1 15-50 did nothing to address the excess heat. However, the oil is able to handle the heat and remains in grade while hot. For engines that don't run as hot, I use M1 5-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. It is ideal for air cooled requirements, with plenty of ZDDP. As I keep saying, generators here in S. FL fail with alarming regularity using 5-30 oils. And, it's ABSOLUTELY an oil related issue. Thin, modern auto oils are not engineered to run at such high temps and the results are obvious. Put another way, air cooled engines with plain connecting rod bearings require a certain viscosity. Do you think 5-30 dino oil provides this at 290 degrees F?

Quote :OK Guys: I just spoke with a real, live Kohler Engine Tech and he informed me that 280-290 is "normal" for the CV730S 25 HP engine and will see temps up to 310! Guess I will let er rip and stop the worrying.

I know from my days in auto repair and racing that liquid cooled engines the oil runs hotter than he oil . That is why a lot of HD and performance engines run "oil coolers" . You are seeing them on air cooled small engines now as well to keep the oil from breaking down . That being said , as stated above in one quote , there is a lot to be said for not running hot enough or running long enough to dry out condensation . I personally have had my farmers JD gaters blow white smoke in the spring like it blew a head gasket on a liquid cool engine and it is air cooled . Check the oil and it is milky and over full due to all the condensation built up in it . Winter time they were doing short runs cleaning stalls and not letting in run long enough . Now water boils at 212F / 100C . So based on that , ideal oil temp in my mind would be between 225F and 250 F / 107C and 121C.

:hm:

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:01 am
by propane1
I was looking for info on engine temperatures too. Didn’t find much thou. One I did find said 180 to 200 F. But not sure where that was measured at.
So if I think of it the next time I cut grass with the 224, I will test a few spots with my temperature tester. I don’t notice the 224 engine to be very hot, so I’m curious now. The one engine I had that was late in timing had the steel engine bonnet so hot you could not touch it. You could feel the radiant heat from the tractor when standing beside it. The other time was with my John Deere tractor. Was not roaring hot, but melted the decal a bit on the fibreglass hood. It lacked power and exhaust was louder and more pressure out the pipe than normal. Caused by late timing.

Noel

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:22 am
by Eugen
oh, Noel, I guess I didn't pay enough attention and I thought you're measuring the engine oil!! :rofl:

@DavidBarkey interesting data. I now recall reading stuff about air cooled engines head operating temperatures, but didn't remember the numbers, thank you for posting that here. Being an air cooled engine, there's probably a whole theory about where to actually measure the temperature.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:50 am
by Eugen
Found this very detailed info about single cylinder k-series and measuring engine temperature(s):

"Hi, A pyrometer with the thermocouple under the spark plug would provide more information than an oil temp gauge. When we do the temp testing of our kits for Kohler sign off, we have thermocouples under the spark plugs, 4 thermocouples at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o-clock 1/2 inch back and 1/2 inch in from the blower intake. 1 thermocouple in the crankcase near the oil pump pickup for oil temp. They don't use the crankcase holes because a large portion of an air cooled engines cooling is transfer of heat though the crank case walls. Hence the ribs in the new castings and bases on the new generation engines. When you use a drain hole for the oil sensor the sump reduces the oil temp. Maybe less so on a dipper engine, but this is why we use oil pump pick up temp. Then a thermocouple in the float bowl of the carb and 1 in the venturi. 2 on the bottom of the hood. The muffler pipes have a tap welded into a straight portion of the pipe as close to 1 inch from the head as possible. These are connected to 2 manometers to monitor back pressure at each cylinder. If back pressure spec is exceeded it throws the emissions out of spec. This qualifies for a 34500.00 fine for every one you sell, if the EPA finds out about it. When have our mufflers made, the first 3 we back pressure test with the largest engine we will use and run for 30 minutes wide open full load on a dyno. When we got our first 3 samples for our JD 318 kits, one of the 3 was out on 1 cyl. we cut it open and found the problem. Contacting our mfr, we made a correction so it won't happen in future production. This is a 3 hour temp run on the dyno in a "hot room". A rep for Kohler comes in and takes the readings. If we pass it we can sell our kits any place in the world and not have to worry that an engine failure can result in a refused warranty with the engine mfr saying contact the people that built the kit. They have heat recirculation or other cooling problems. Now that you asked what time was and I got carried away and tried to tell you how to build a watch. Sorry. To sum it up, head temp would provide more valuable info."

sounds good! :rofl:

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:00 pm
by Eugen
Given all this info about temperature of air cooled engines, it seems to me that a monitoring the temperature via gauge that goes under the spark plug would be the most informative.
Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 11.58.46.png

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:58 pm
by DavidBarkey
Agreed , the head temp is of concern . And would be good to know and be able to monitor . A base line would be helpfull . Me I am more concerned with oil temp . Too low and you will not burn off condensation contaminating oil and causing damage . Too high oil will fail and so will parts . Again a base line would help. But we know the boiling point of water . If the head temp is to high for what ever reason the piston will be too and so will the oil . Now that being said , being able to monitor head temp will give you an early warning before oil gets too high . So Both have there importance . My new tractor , the snow blower project will have an array of analog gauges so I can look at all at same time . Besides it looks cool and is a good way to teach the young man . Engine oil pressure and temp , RPM, Volts, Hydra pressure and temp. CO for safety . Fuel gauge for convenience. That head temp gauge would be nice for diag purposes.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:55 pm
by Eugen
Propane57 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:54 am Did you check your timing yet on that engine ? :45: :giggle: :giggle:

Noel
Cannot find the S mark on the flywheel :43:

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:42 am
by propane1
It’s there. Also a T.

Noel

Kohler K-series engine temperature

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:36 am
by Eugen
Propane57 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:42 am It’s there. Also a T.

Noel
Thank you Noel, I'm sure it's there, just could not see it through the opening in the cover. The flywheel is pretty rusty on that area so I might have to take off the cover completely and cleanup the flywheel hoping to uncover the marks.

Re: Kohler K-series engine temperature

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:15 am
by Eugen
I have a 444 that's running really well and I use at the moment just for mowing, that never overheats. I will check the temperature on it with the IR thermometer on the head, right around the spark plug so we can use that as a base line. There's a digital thermometer with a k-type thermocouple hidden somewhere among all my junk, when I find it I'll install the thermocouple right next to the spark plug and get some more precise readings.

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:41 am
by propane1
I have a multi meter that has a temperature reading setting. So I’ll use that next time I use the tractor.

Noel

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:52 pm
by DavidBarkey
Propane57 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:41 am I have a multi meter that has a temperature reading setting. So I’ll use that next time I use the tractor.

Noel
How does it read temp ? Is there a thermo coupler attachment that goes with it ?

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:01 pm
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:52 pm
Propane57 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:41 am I have a multi meter that has a temperature reading setting. So I’ll use that next time I use the tractor.

Noel
How does it read temp ? Is there a thermo coupler attachment that goes with it ?
Yes. It has a lead from the meter about 2’ long. I’ve used it in many different things. And it reads correctly. Tested it the other day.

Noel

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:54 am
by Eugen
Report on the K321 that works without sign of stopping from overheating. Cut the grass for about 40 minutes. Temperature measured after I finished and stopped the engine, with the point and shoot IR thermometer, around the spark plug was between 226 and 248F (108 and 120C). On the side of the engine where the exhaust pipe exits the head was 266F (130C). On the other side of engine the head was around 235F (113C). To me this will be a base line. I'll try to repeat these measurements for this engine as well as for the 644 that seems to overheat.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:19 am
by propane1
Jumpins. That seems hot to me. I had to convert from C to F to get a better understanding. Low C temperatures around 30 or so and under I have an reasonable idea what the temperature is in F, but the higher C temperatures I have no clue. :D

Noel

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:37 am
by propane1
Hotter around the exhaust part of the engine would be normal. That’s the area that the piston goes bad with the extra heat normally too. When you take a piston out for a ring job, the piston is scuffed up right in the area closest to the exhaust valve.
Just my experience.

Noel

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:33 am
by Eugen
Propane57 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:19 am Jumpins. That seems hot to me. I had to convert from C to F to get a better understanding. Low C temperatures around 30 or so and under I have an reasonable idea what the temperature is in F, but the higher C temperatures I have no clue. :D

Noel
Sorry, I was in a hurry and didn't convert. Edited my original post and added Fahrenheit.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:33 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:33 am
Propane57 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:19 am Jumpins. That seems hot to me. I had to convert from C to F to get a better understanding. Low C temperatures around 30 or so and under I have an reasonable idea what the temperature is in F, but the higher C temperatures I have no clue. :D

Noel
Sorry, I was in a hurry and didn't convert. Edited my original post and added Fahrenheit.
No worries Eugen. Not hard to convert with the internet. When it works. :giggle:

Noel

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:01 pm
by propane1
Did you happen to check the engine oil temperature Eugen ?

Noel

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:10 pm
by Eugen
Propane57 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:01 pm Did you happen to check the engine oil temperature Eugen ?

Noel
Unfortunately I cannot find my thermometer with the wire thermocouple :cuss: so I have no means of measuring the oil temp. Hopefully I find that and measure it. It's only $17 on amazon but it bugs me to buy something just because I misplaced the one I have :headbash:

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:38 am
by Eugen
I'm telling you they're watching our every move. Just as I said I won't buy another thermometer the multifunction device that tells hours, RPM, and temperature at the spark plug went on sale on Amazon. :$$: :114: :blush:

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:54 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:38 am I'm telling you they're watching our every move. Just as I said I won't buy another thermometer the multifunction device that tells hours, RPM, and temperature at the spark plug went on sale on Amazon. :$$: :114: :blush:
:109: :hm: :bla: :inacall: :))

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:29 pm
by Eugen
Worked the loader today for about a half hour. Temperature near the spark plug with the IR device was around 248F or 120 Celsius.

Why do you think this is high @Propane57 ?

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:44 am
by propane1
Just seems hot Eugen. Your getting to low oven cookin temperature there. Maybe that’s what it’s supposed to be. :106:
Is that with the engine running or shut off. If shut off, how long is it off before you test it. I’m gunna run my 224 with in the next few days and I’ll see what it is.

Noel

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:09 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:29 pm Worked the loader today for about a half hour. Temperature near the spark plug with the IR device was around 248F or 120 Celsius.

Why do you think this is high @Propane57 ?
Sounds reasonable , you would expect the head to have some heat seeing that is where the fire is . Internal temps need to be over 212F to burn off condensation. So if you consider 218F to be minimum internal temp , 248F is only 30 F above that where the fire is . Now as long as it stay around there and doe not continue to climb up and up . All should be ok in my mind .

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:33 pm
by Eugen
The do hickey has been installed. Temp sensor between the head and spark plug.

5EF123F9-CBC1-44F5-8A8F-E24B9651B142.jpeg

Did some work with the tractor. The temperature stabilized at 312.8F or 156C. :109: This is the loader tractor, 644.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:32 pm
by propane1
Get the cookware out Eugen. And you could cook supper while your using the tractor. :giggle:

Noel

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:31 pm
by Eugen
Propane57 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:32 pm Get the cookware out Eugen. And you could cook supper while your using the tractor. :giggle:

Noel
Maybe I make cookies :rofl:

Seriously now, unless someone else can prove otherwise this temperature at the spark plug is perfectly healthy. :D

By the way I checked timing with the ohm meter and points and the mark on the flywheel, it seems fine.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:33 pm
by Spike188
@Eugen did you sandwitch a thermocoupler between the plug and head.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:35 pm
by Eugen
Spike188 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:33 pm @Eugen did you sandwitch a thermocoupler between the plug and head.
Yes! Got this on sale

9C6DA091-42C6-4AF4-918A-D1CD3CFB7315.jpeg

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:50 pm
by FUTZ
How much did you end up paying? I won't tell nobody...like :wife:

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:00 pm
by Eugen
It was 25.43 free shipping.

I had explained to my dear :wife: how important it is for the tractor not to overheat and catch fire as the husband is useful around the house unburned. She agreed.

Nevertheless when the item arrived and the oldest asked what did daddy get she said "daddy got a new toy" :15: :rofl:so much for being taken seriously in this house :sigh:

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:13 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:33 pm The do hickey has been installed. Temp sensor between the head and spark plug.

5EF123F9-CBC1-44F5-8A8F-E24B9651B142.jpeg

Did some work with the tractor. The temperature stabilized at 312.8F or 156C. :109: This is the loader tractor, 644.
A lot of the older air cooled engines had less tin work for air flow . So some may run hotter than others . Knowing that I am curious on what the oil is running at , at the same time.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:20 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:31 pm
Propane57 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:32 pm Get the cookware out Eugen. And you could cook supper while your using the tractor. :giggle:

Noel
Maybe I make cookies :rofl:

Seriously now, unless someone else can prove otherwise this temperature at the spark plug is perfectly healthy. :D

By the way I checked timing with the ohm meter and points and the mark on the flywheel, it seems fine.
Ok. Thanks. I’ll stop asking

Noel

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:33 pm
by propane1
Ok. So at 312F at the spark plug. What do you's think the top of the aluminum piston temperature is ? Is it less, or more. ?? And. I don’t know this for sure. Some of you may. When you weld aluminum with rods, what ever they are. I’ve seen that you get the aluminum to 400 F to weld to. Aluminum head and piston must be getting a bit soft at over 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Just my thinkin. I don’t have any facts !!!

Noel

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:22 pm
by Eugen
Couldn't find much info about the temperature at the spark plug on garden tractors, but this is a topic that has come up fairly often on air cooled motorcycle engines, and they also use aluminum heads. Here's what someone said in response to the question if 200C at the plug is too hot.
Generally higher revs will run hotter, as there is less time for cooling between power strokes. I glanced back at some testing earlier, we tortured one engine to plug temps over 300 degC. That was extreme, but like I said, 240 degC is about the lowest temperature I've ever seen an engine get unhappy with. Many will run thru hundreds of hours of durability in the mid 200's without issue. You are worrying a lot about nothing.
The same guy mentions oil temperature too. He seems to have been a tech of some sort
The temps I've been talking are definitly C and taken via thermocouple ring under the spark plug. I pulled a few rounds of data up last night and see where one torture test had a bike up to 310 degC at the plug, and 150 degC oil. Now THAT is hot. 250/130 are more common temp limits, again, depending on the engine.
He's talking about reasonable limits being 250C which is almost 500F, for head temperature on the plug, and 130C or 266F for oil.

Is there a reason why this would not apply to the Kohler?

Well, reading that thread over at the motorcycle forum is hilarious! Listen to this :rofl:
This is akin to worrying about your teenage daughter's sex life. It may get hot at times and you're better off NOT knowing about it… as long as nothing gets damaged from that hot piston banging around in there at high revs.
So I'll just be thinking about aluminum frying pans getting weak at 350F. Or I ask :wife:

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:20 am
by DavidBarkey
Depending on the engine , and how they are or are not shrouded /and or fan cooled . Rpm can make a difference.
example ; sitting idling a dirt bike for extended period of time will cause over heating as they need the bike to move for cooling as they do not have fan.
Lower rpm on some fan cooled will cause them to over heat due to the heat having more time to soak into the intake preheating the air fuel mixer reducing any cooling coming from the air charge . also these engine typically need a higher rpm for the fan to produce enough air flow for proper cooling . This is why lugging an engine at lower rpm cause them to over heat . Creating much more heat but much less air to get rid of it .

Ever notice that mower hand books tell you to cut at full speed , it is not just about the tip speed of the blade but also about the power band and cooling engineered into it by the engine manufactures.
Notice the difference between the fan and shroud on a "3600" rpm engine and a "1800" rpm engine .

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:08 pm
by Eugen
Propane57 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:20 pm

Noel
It's a good think you asked me repeatedly. Some things that you guys recommend I'm not able to do right away because I don't get enough time away from work, chores, or the kids, but eventually I do. Also it took me a while to find a way to clean up the flywheel through the little peephole. Used a wire brush from my dremel tool mounted on the cordless drill. Another complication was that whoever worked on this 644 before, routed the exhaust pipe straight down from the Kohler engine, and right over the points cover. :headbash: Had to make a really tiny screwdriver to take the points cover off. Don't ask how much I had to fiddle to put it back on :cuss: . Eventually I succeeded.

In my opinion the spark plug on this machine is still on the white side, so I'm thinking it's running a little lean and I need to do a little more adjustment on the carburetor.

Now, back to the temperature. I'd like this thread to be a good exploration of engine temperature for the Kohler k-series engine. It would be great if we got more data from other people as well, but as much as I can I will report my findings. I have two tractors using the K321 14HP engine, one on the loader and the other on the 444 that I use for mowing. If only i could find my other thermocouple wire thermometer to check the oil temperature inside the dipstick. :|

@Propane57 I've been reading quite a bit on the net about heat on air-cooled engines and at what temperature aluminum gets weaker. I could find no references to temperatures lower than 500F. Of course I'd like the head of the engine to be cooler, but perhaps up to 350F is not really concerning. It would be really nice to know what temperature you have on your spark plug on your Kohler.

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:41 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:08 pm
Propane57 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:20 pm

Noel
It's a good think you asked me repeatedly. Some things that you guys recommend I'm not able to do right away because I don't get enough time away from work, chores, or the kids, but eventually I do.

Sorry Eugen. I didn’t mean to be annoying you, but I was just foolin with ya. But I know they run hot if timing is late. And was wondering.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:59 pm
by propane1
First time this plug has been out of the Case 224 since I got it. One year next month. So, I cut some grass last year. Moved some snow last winter and has been cutting all the grass this season. This tractor sat outside for 5 years, not been used, before I got it. This plug is the one that was in it when I got the tractor.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:52 pm
by FUTZ
Eugen wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:00 pm It was 25.43 free shipping.

I had explained to my dear :wife: how important it is for the tractor not to overheat and catch fire as the husband is useful around the house unburned. She agreed.

Nevertheless when the item arrived and the oldest asked what did daddy get she said "daddy got a new toy" :15: :rofl:so much for being taken seriously in this house :sigh:
You seemed to have got a good deal, if it comes up again, say a re-order request, get one for me.

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:58 pm
by propane1
Ok. Just finished cutting the grass with the Case 224. About 45 minutes of run time, engine rpm at 2750 or so. While cutting. Came back to the garage and tested temperature as soon as I got of the tractor. Running test, engine off test and engine oil. Now you know why you run them a bit for cool down.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:04 pm
by Eugen
Mine, to compare

FC3575D5-90AC-4F26-94C2-222858115E56.jpeg

Noel, was not annoyed at all. In fact I really appreciate your suggestions! :thumbsup:

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:05 pm
by FUTZ
FUTZ wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:52 pm
Eugen wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:00 pm It was 25.43 free shipping.

You seemed to have got a good deal, if it comes up again, say a re-order request, get one for me.
Okay, never mind, seems their on sale again, not as good deal as yours, though.

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:21 pm
by Eugen
FUTZ wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:52 pm You seemed to have got a good deal, if it comes up again, say a re-order request, get one for me.
My wife told me about some new thing, prime deals. This was like that. Now it's more, even if I reorder. If it goes on sale again I'll let you know.

49A5FEF8-B1CE-4E6A-880D-B50D2A66613C.png

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:23 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:04 pm Mine, to compare

Noel, was not annoyed at all. In fact I really appreciate your suggestions! :thumbsup:

Both plugs look good I’d say Eugen. Mine just a hair richer.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:04 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:04 pm Mine, to compare

Looks ok if you are worried about it open the main jet screw 1/16 of a turn . It is really close . Air temp, humidity, and E in the fuel will all make minor changes in the colour .

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:15 pm
by Eugen
Ordered a thermocouple thermometer from ebay a while ago and it finally arrived. I measured the temperature of the oil right after I turned the tractor off and it was 174F. At the same time the probe under the spark plug measured 313F. Quite a difference!

I will repeat the measurements a few times to get an average.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:42 am
by propane1
Your measurements and mine are a bit different Eugen. Be good to see what your average is.

Noel

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:06 am
by Eugen
Propane57 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:42 am Your measurements and mine are a bit different Eugen. Be good to see what your average is.

Noel
I agree, plus I don't know how much to trust this thermometer. I'll test it with boiling water.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:59 am
by propane1
I did test my meter before doing my tests. While fixing the Ferguson tractor this week, I put the thermostat in a pot of water and put my tester lead in with it. Turn on the heat. Thermostat was good. Started to open around 175F. And fully closed when cooled down. Tractor takes a 180F thermostat.

Noel